Federal Skilled Worker applications are assessed based on an applicant's ability to become economically established upon immigration to Canada.In order to qualify for a Canada Immigration (Permanent Resident) Visa, Canadian Federal Skilled Worker (Professional) applicants must:
- Have at least one year of continuous full-time or equivalent paid work experience in the past 10 years in one of the 24 eligible occupations; or
- Qualify for Arranged Employment with a Labour Market Opinion and a full-time, permanent job offer from a Canadian employer; or
- Have completed a PhD in Canada, or have completed two years of study in Canada towards a PhD, in both cases at a recognized institution; and
- Pass a minimum threshold of language ability for one of Canada's two official languages (English/French)
In addition, Federal Skilled Worker (Professional) applicants must attain at least 67 points based on Citizenship and Immigration Canada's (CIC) immigration selection factors.
The selection factors are summarized as follows:
- Education: Applicants are awarded up to 25 points.
- Language Skills: Applicants are awarded up to 28 total points (24-first official language, 4-second official language).
- Work Experience: Applicants are awarded up to 15 points for paid skilled work experience acquired in the last 10 years. A minimum of 9 points is required.
- Age: Applicants are awarded up to 12 points.
- Arranged Employment: Applicants are awarded up to 10 points.
- Adaptability: Applicants are awarded up to 10 points.
In addition to fulfilling eligibility and points requirements, applicants must show that they have sufficient settlement funds to support themselves and their dependants after arrival in Canada. Applicants and their dependants must also undergo medical examinations and security clearances as part of the Canadian immigration application process.
Federal Skilled Worker (Professional) Processing Times vary from one Canadian Immigration Visa office to another.
Federal Skilled Worker (Professional) Government Processing Fees vary with exchange rates.
Federal Skilled Worker Application Process
Learn more about how the process works, from the very start to landing as a Permanent Resident.
Applicants intending to reside in Montreal or another city in the Province of Quebec are subject to the Quebec selection criteria.
For more information on the Federal Skilled Worker Program, see our Federal Skilled Workers FAQ.
Contact Us for more information about the Federal Skilled Worker Program or take a FREE Eligibility Assessment