Super Visa: Apply for a Parents and Grandparents Super Visa

Last updated: 7 June 2024

Super Visa V2

The Super Visa allows parents and grandparents of Canadian citizens and permanent residents to come to Canada as visitors for up to five consecutive years (effective July 4, 2022) on their initial visit without having to renew their status. 

Parents and grandparents can stay in Canada for an extended period of time. Super Visas can remain valid for up to 7 years.

Cohen Immigration Law is a leading Canadian immigration law firm with over 45 years of expertise. Our team is dedicated to reuniting families in Canada.

Complete our contact form to receive a free consultation from a Cohen Immigration Law expert on applying for a Super Visa.

Table of Contents

What is the Super Visa for Parents and Grandparents?

Effective July 4, 2022, the Super Visa will allow eligible parents and grandparents of Canadian citizens and permanent residents to visit their family in Canada for up to 5 years without having to renew their status. Those with a Super Visa already will also be able to apply for an extension of 2 years that may enable them to remain in Canada as a visitor for up to 7 years on a single stay.

The Super Visa is available year-round and, much like the Parents and Grandparents Program, has minimum income requirements.

The Super Visa is ideal for parents and grandparents living in countries that require a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) for entry to Canada. By obtaining the Super Visa, they will be able to travel freely between Canada and their country of residence without the worry and hassle of regularly re-applying for a TRV.

Those who don't require a TRV to enter Canada, may also apply using the same application process. Instead of being issued a visa, however, they will be given an official letter from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) that will authorize their visit for up to two years at their initial entry.

Who Can Apply for the Super Visa?

Parents or grandparents of Canadian citizens and permanent residents may be eligible to apply for the Super Visa. The applicants cannot be inadmissible to Canada on the basis of health or security, and they may be required to meet specific conditions set forth by the visa office through which they will be applying.

It is important to note that no dependents can be included in this application. Only parents or grandparents, together with their spouses or common-law partners, may be included on an application for the Super Visa.

What is the Super Visa Application Process?

The application process is similar to that for a regular TRV. However, additional documentation is required to ensure that the parents and grandparents will be well supported during their time in Canada. This requirement includes:

  • A letter of invitation from the child or grandchild residing in Canada;
  • Documents that prove the child or grandchild meets the Low Income Cut-Off (LICO) minimum (see table below);
  • Proof of parental relationship with child or grandchild, such as a birth certificate that names him or her as a parent; and
  • Proof of medical insurance coverage for at least one year with a Canadian insurance company.

The application should be processed at the Canadian visa office responsible for the applicant’s place of residence outside of Canada. Depending on the visa office, additional documentation may be needed.

The complete application will be assessed with regard to a number of factors. The purpose of the visit to Canada will be examined, as well as whether parents or grandparents will maintain sufficient ties to their home country. This can be illustrated by showing family ties, finances, and other connections that lie outside of Canada.

All Super Visa applicants will be required to undergo a medical examination. Forms and instructions for this examination will be issued by the visa office after the application has been submitted.

What are the Super Visa Eligibility Requirements for the Sponsor?

To qualify for a Super Visa, the child or grandchild who is inviting their parents or grandparents will need to prove that their household meets the required Low Income Cut-Off (LICO). This proof may consist of the following documents:

  • Notice of Assessment (NOA) or T4/T1 for the most recent tax year;
  • Employment Insurance stubs;
  • An employment letter including salary and date of hiring;
  • Pay stubs; or 
  • bank statements.

Low Income Cut-Off (LICO)

Size of Family Unit
Minimum necessary gross income
1 person (your child or grandchild)
2 persons
3 persons
4 persons
5 persons
6 persons
7 or more
More than 7 persons, for each additional person, add

Contact us for Assistance

Do you need Super Visa assistance? The Cohen Immigration Law firm can help. Cohen Immigration Law has been helping foreign nationals obtain Canadian visas for over 45 years. Cohen Immigration Law is able to use its experience and expertise to represent your best interests as you submit your Super Visa application to the Canadian government.

Please contact us to receive a free telephone consultation on the Super Visa. Our Family Class Sponsorship Team is here to help.

Get a Free Legal Consultation