Canada welcomes more than 35 million temporary residents (non-immigrants) each year. Except for Canadian citizens and permanent residents, all other individuals require permission to enter Canada as a visitor.

Unless they are citizens of a visa-exempt country, individuals who wish to enter Canada for a temporary purpose, such as tourists, temporary foreign workers (individuals with work permits) and international students (individuals on study permits) must apply for and be granted a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV).

(Citizens of visa-exempt countries intending to travel to Canada by air are expected to have applied for an obtained an electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) before their departure to Canada. Exceptions to this include citizens of the United States, who do not require a TRV or an electronic Travel Authorization (eTA), and Green Card holders in the United States, who need an eTA to come to Canada, regardless of their nationality.)

The TRV is a document issued by a Canadian Immigration Visa Office outside Canada, showing that the holder has satisfied the requirements for admission to Canada as a visitor. TRVs may be for single entry or multiple entry. As a general rule, tourists are admitted for a period of six months. Temporary foreign workers and international students are admitted for varying periods of time, as determined on a case-by-case basis. Extensions may be applied for from within Canada.

It is important to note that possession of a valid TRV does not necessarily mean that the Officer at the Canadian Port of Entry will admit the visitor into Canada. At the Port of Entry, all visitors must demonstrate that the purpose of their visit to Canada is of a temporary nature. Officers at the Port of Entry will deny admission to all persons who, in their opinion, do not intend to leave Canada at the expiry of their visitor status.

Criminality and medical issues may prevent a visitor from entering Canada. Visitors to Canada must also be able to prove their ability to support themselves during their intended temporary stay in Canada. As of March 15, 2016. citizens of visa-exempt countries are required to gain electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) before entering Canada, if entering by air travel. Read our Electronic Travel Assistance FAQ page to learn more.


Country Checklist: Temporary Resident Visas

TRVs are required for citizens of certain countries. The chart below outlines which individuals require a TRV and which individuals need an eTA in order to enter Canada.

A | B| C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z

CountryTRV Required?eTA Required?
Afghanistan YES NO
Albania YES NO
Algeria YES NO
Andorra NO YES
Angola YES NO
Anguilla NO YES
Antigua & Barbuda NO YES
Argentina YES NO
Armenia YES NO
Australia NO YES
Austria NO YES
Azerbaijan YES NO
Bahamas NO YES
Bahrain YES NO
Bangladesh YES NO
Barbados NO YES
Belarus YES NO
Belgium NO YES
Belize YES NO
Benin YES NO
Bermuda NO YES
Bhutan YES NO
Bolivia YES NO
Bosnia-Herzegovina YES NO
Botswana YES NO
Brazil YES NO
Brunei NO NO
Bulgaria YES NO
Burkina Faso YES NO
Burundi YES NO
Cambodia YES NO
Cameroon YES NO
Cape Verde YES NO
Central African Republic YES NO
Chile NO YES
China YES NO
Colombia YES NO
Comoros YES NO
Congo, Democratic Republic YES NO
Congo, Republic of YES NO
Costa Rica YES NO
Croatia NO YES
Cyprus NO YES
Czech Republic NO YES
Denmark NO YES
Djibouti YES NO
Dominica YES NO
Dominican Republic YES NO
Ecuador YES NO
Egypt YES NO
El Salvador YES NO
Equatorial Guinea YES NO
Eritrea YES NO
Estonia NO YES
Ethiopia YES NO
Finland NO YES
France NO YES
Gabon YES NO
Gambia YES NO
Georgia YES NO
Germany NO YES
Ghana YES NO
Greece NO YES
Grenada YES NO
Guatemala YES NO
Guinea YES NO
Guyana YES NO
Haiti YES NO
Honduras YES NO
Hungary NO YES
Iceland NO YES
India YES NO
Indonesia YES NO
Ireland NO YES
Israel (passport holders) NO YES
Israel (holders of travel document in lieu of passport) YES NO
Italy NO YES
Ivory Coast YES NO
Jamaica YES NO
Japan NO YES
Jordan YES NO
Kazakhstan YES NO
Kenya YES NO
Kiribati YES NO
Korea, North YES NO
Korea, South NO YES
Kosovo YES NO
Kuwait YES NO
Kyrgyzstan YES NO
Latvia NO YES
Lebanon YES NO
Lesotho YES NO
Liberia YES NO
Libya YES NO
Liechtenstein NO YES
Lithuania NO YES
Luxembourg NO YES
Macao YES NO
Macedonia YES NO
Madagascar YES NO
Malawi YES NO
Malaysia YES NO
Maldives YES NO
Malta NO YES
Mauritania YES NO
Mauritius YES NO
Mexico YES NO
Moldova YES NO
Monaco NO YES
Mongolia YES NO
Montenegro YES NO
Morocco YES NO
Mozambique YES NO
Myanmar YES NO
Namibia YES NO
Nepal YES NO
Netherlands NO YES
New Zealand NO YES
Nicaragua YES NO
Niger YES NO
Nigeria YES NO
Norway NO YES
Pakistan YES NO
Palau YES NO
Panama YES NO
Paraguay YES NO
Philippines YES NO
Poland NO YES
Portugal NO YES
Qatar YES NO
Romania YES NO
Russia YES NO
Rwanda YES NO
San Marino NO YES
Sao Tome e Principe YES NO
Saudi Arabia YES NO
Senegal YES NO
Serbia YES NO
Seychelles YES NO
Sierra Leone YES NO
Singapore NO YES
Slovakia NO YES
Slovenia NO YES
Somalia YES NO
South Africa YES NO
Spain NO YES
Sri Lanka YES NO
St. Kitts & Nevis YES NO
Sudan YES NO
Surinam YES NO
Swaziland YES NO
Sweden NO YES
Switzerland NO YES
Syria YES NO
Taiwan NO YES
Tajikistan YES NO
Tanzania YES NO
Thailand YES NO
Tonga YES NO
Trinidad and Tobago YES NO
Tunisia YES NO
Turkey YES NO
Turkmenistan YES NO
Turks and Caicos NO YES
Tuvalu YES NO
Uganda YES NO
Ukraine YES NO
United Arab Emirates YES NO
United Kingdom NO YES
United States of America NO YES
Uruguay YES NO
Uzbekistan YES NO
Vanatau YES NO
Venezuela YES NO
Vietnam YES NO
Yemen YES NO
Zambia YES NO
Zimbabwe YES NO

Latest News

  • Immigration Minister Announces Increased Intake of Privately-Sponsored Syrian Refugees

    Canada's Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship, John McCallum, has announced that an additional 10,000 applications from private sponsorship groups wishing to help resettle Syrian refugees are scheduled to be processed this year.

  • Canada Looks to Ease Pathway to Permanent Residence for International Students

    The Liberal government of Canada is seeking to find ways to make it simpler and more straightforward for international students in Canada to transition to permanent resident status once they have completed their studies in Canada.