Citizens of certain countries are exempt from the requirement to obtain a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV). For these individuals, the government of Canada has introduced what is known as electronic Travel Authorization (eTA).

Before the eTA system was introduced, visa-exempt foreign nationals seeking entry to Canada were not systematically screened for admissibility until they arrived at a Canadian Port of Entry.

The new eTA system aims to provide stress-free travel for visa-exempt individuals by requiring them to complete an online form before departure.

Visiting Canada Tool

By answering a few basic questions, the Visiting Canada Tool allows you to discover the steps you need to take in preparation for your visit to Canada.

Use the Visiting Canada Tool

Note: The eTA is now mandatory for most visitors from countries whose citizens do not require a TRV who are entering Canada by air.

Citizens of visa-exempt countries intending to travel to Canada by air are expected to have applied for an obtained an electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) before their departure to Canada. Exceptions to this include citizens of the United States, who do not require a TRV or an electronic Travel Authorization (eTA), and Green Card holders in the United States, who need an eTA to come to Canada, regardless of their nationality.

The Canadian pre-approval system is only required for TRV-exempt individuals seeking to enter Canada by air to visit on a temporary basis. To read a comprehensive list of frequently asked eTA-related questions and answers, click here

Individuals requiring an eTA in order to visit Canada are asked to fill out some personal information and answer a few basic questions relating to criminality or medical issues.

To complete the online form, you need:

  • a valid passport from a visa-exempt country,
  • a credit card to pay the $7.00 CAD fee,
  • a valid email address, and
  • access to the internet and a few minutes of your time.

The eTA will be valid for a period of five years from the day on which it is issued to the applicant or until the earliest of the following days, if they occur before the end of that period:

  • the day on which the applicant’s passport or other travel document expires,
  • the day on which the electronic travel authorization is cancelled, or
  • the day on which a new electronic travel authorization is issued to the applicant.

The eTA includes the applicant’s name, date and place of birth, gender, address, nationality, and passport and/or travel document information. If the applicant is unable to make the application by means of the electronic system because of a physical or mental disability, it may be made by another means, including a paper application form.


A number of exemptions from the requirement to obtain pre-approval to travel are in place, including:

  • Nationals of the United States.
  • Her Majesty the Queen of Canada and any member of the Royal Family.
  • Citizens of France who are residents of St. Pierre and Miquelon who seek to enter Canada directly from St. Pierre and Miquelon.
  • Visitors, students and workers, who seek to re-enter Canada after solely visiting either the United States or St. Pierre and Miquelon, providing that they return to Canada by the end of the period initially authorized for their stay or any extension to it.
  • Foreign nationals who are passengers on a flight stopping in Canada for the sole purpose of refuelling and
    • possess proper documents to enter the United States and their flight is bound for that country, or
    • They were lawfully admitted to the United States and their flight originated in that country.
  • Foreign nationals who are passengers on a flight that, owing to an emergency or other unforeseen circumstances, makes an unscheduled stop in Canada.
  • Foreign nationals seeking to transit through Canada under the Transit Without Visa or China Transit Program.
  • Foreign nationals who hold a passport that contains a diplomatic acceptance, a consular acceptance or an official acceptance issued by the Chief of Protocol for the Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade on behalf of the Government of Canada and are properly accredited diplomats, consular officers, representatives or officials of a country other than Canada, of the United Nations or any of its agencies, or of any international organization of which Canada is a member.
  • Foreign nationals seeking to enter and remain in Canada solely:
    • As a crew member of a means of transportation that may be used for transportation by air or to become a member of such a crew, or
    • To transit through Canada after working, or to work, as a crew member of a means of transportation that may be used for transportation by air, if they possess a ticket for departure from Canada within 24 hours after their arrival in Canada.
  • Foreign nationals seeking to enter and remain in Canada solely to carry out official duties as a member of the armed forces of a country that is a designated state for the purposes of the Visiting Forces Act, unless they have been designated under that Act as a civilian component of those armed forces.
  • Foreign nationals seeking to enter and remain in Canada solely to conduct inspections of the flight operation procedures or cabin safety of a commercial air carrier operating international flights, if they are a civil aviation inspector of a national aeronautical authority and possess valid documentation to that effect.
  • Foreign nationals seeking to enter and remain in Canada solely to participate as an accredited representative or as an adviser to an aviation accident or incident investigation conducted under the Canadian Transportation Accident Investigation and Safety Board Act, if they possess valid documentation to that effect.


Country Checklist: electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)

Electronic Travel Authorization is required for certain individuals wishing to enter Canada on a temporary basis.. The chart below outlines which individuals require an eTA and which individuals require a TRV in order to enter Canada.

A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z

Country eTA Required? TRV Required?
Afghanistan NO YES
Albania NO YES
Algeria NO YES
Andorra YES NO
Angola NO YES
Anguilla YES NO
Antigua & Barbuda YES NO
Argentina NO YES
Armenia NO YES
Australia YES NO
Austria YES NO
Azerbaijan NO YES
Bahamas YES NO
Bahrain NO YES
Bangladesh NO YES
Barbados YES NO
Belarus NO YES
Belgium YES NO
Belize NO YES
Benin NO YES
Bermuda YES NO
Bhutan NO YES
Bolivia NO YES
Bosnia-Herzegovina NO YES
Botswana NO YES
Brazil NO YES
Brunei NO YES
Bulgaria NO YES
Burkina Faso NO YES
Burundi NO YES
Cambodia NO YES
Cameroon NO YES
Cape Verde NO YES
Central African Republic NO YES
Chile YES NO
China NO YES
Colombia NO YES
Comoros NO YES
Congo, Democratic Republic NO YES
Congo, Republic of NO YES
Costa Rica NO YES
Croatia YES NO
Cyprus YES NO
Czech Republic YES NO
Denmark YES NO
Djibouti NO YES
Dominica NO YES
Dominican Republic NO YES
Ecuador NO YES
Egypt NO YES
El Salvador NO YES
Equatorial Guinea NO YES
Eritrea NO YES
Estonia YES NO
Ethiopia NO YES
Finland YES NO
France YES NO
Gabon NO YES
Gambia NO YES
Georgia NO YES
Germany YES NO
Ghana NO YES
Greece YES NO
Grenada NO YES
Guatemala NO YES
Guinea NO YES
Guyana NO YES
Haiti NO YES
Honduras NO YES
Hungary YES NO
Iceland YES NO
India NO YES
Indonesia NO YES
Ireland YES NO
Israel (passport holders) YES NO
Israel (holders of travel document in lieu of passport) NO YES
Italy YES NO
Ivory Coast NO YES
Jamaica NO YES
Japan YES NO
Jordan NO YES
Kazakhstan NO YES
Kenya NO YES
Kiribati NO YES
Korea, North NO YES
Korea, South YES NO
Kosovo NO YES
Kuwait NO YES
Kyrgyzstan NO YES
Latvia YES NO
Lebanon NO YES
Lesotho NO YES
Liberia NO YES
Libya NO YES
Liechtenstein YES NO
Lithuania YES NO
Luxembourg YES NO
Macao NO YES
Macedonia NO YES
Madagascar NO YES
Malawi NO YES
Malaysia NO YES
Maldives NO YES
Malta YES NO
Mauritania NO YES
Mauritius NO YES
Mexico YES NO
Moldova NO YES
Monaco YES NO
Mongolia NO YES
Montenegro NO YES
Morocco NO YES
Mozambique NO YES
Myanmar NO YES
Namibia NO YES
Nepal NO YES
Netherlands YES NO
New Zealand YES NO
Nicaragua NO YES
Niger NO YES
Nigeria NO YES
Norway YES NO
Pakistan NO YES
Palau NO YES
Panama NO YES
Paraguay NO YES
Philippines NO YES
Poland YES NO
Portugal YES NO
Qatar NO YES
Romania NO YES
Russia NO YES
Rwanda NO YES
San Marino YES NO
Sao Tome e Principe NO YES
Saudi Arabia NO YES
Senegal NO YES
Serbia NO YES
Seychelles NO YES
Sierra Leone NO YES
Singapore YES NO
Slovakia YES NO
Slovenia YES NO
Somalia NO YES
South Africa NO YES
Spain YES NO
Sri Lanka NO YES
St. Kitts & Nevis NO YES
Sudan NO YES
Surinam NO YES
Swaziland NO YES
Sweden YES NO
Switzerland YES NO
Syria NO YES
Taiwan YES NO
Tajikistan NO YES
Tanzania NO YES
Thailand NO YES
Tonga NO YES
Trinidad and Tobago NO YES
Tunisia NO YES
Turkey NO YES
Turkmenistan NO YES
Turks and Caicos YES NO
Tuvalu NO YES
Uganda NO YES
Ukraine NO YES
United Arab Emirates NO YES
United Kingdom YES NO
United States of America NO NO
Uruguay NO YES
Uzbekistan NO YES
Vanatau NO YES
Venezuela NO YES
Vietnam NO YES
Yemen NO YES
Zambia NO YES
Zimbabwe NO YES

Get Started

Latest News

  • Malala Yousafzai Receives Honorary Canadian Citizenship

    Thirty months after she first due to accept honorary Canadian citizenship, Nobel Peace Prize winner Malala Yousafzai has finally addressed Parliament upon becoming just the sixth person ever to receive the distinction. Ms. Yousafzai, a citizen of Pakistan, was originally scheduled to be granted the honour by former prime minister Stephen Harper on the day a gunman stormed Parliament Hill on October 22, 2014.

  • Quebec's Budget to Provide Funding for Integration of Immigrants

    The province of Quebec has earmarked $179.4 million over the next five years to support the integration of new immigrants. This figure includes $13.5 million to attract international students and $103.5 million for francization of newcomers.