The Job Offer
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) and Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) are responsible for determining whether a particular job offer made by a Canadian employer to a foreign individual should be approved.
ESDC confirmation is based on the following conditions:
- The offer of employment is genuine;
- The wages and working conditions of the employment are sufficient to attract and retain Canadians; and
- The employment is full-time and not seasonal.
Canada Work Permit HR Tool
The Canada Work Permit HR Tool has been designed to help employers navigate the complex process of hiring foreign workers.
The Job Offer
Canadian Employers are required by IRCC and ESDC to prepare a formal employment contract or a Job Offer Letter for future employees, which must include:
- Job title for the position being offered;
- Job description, including main duties and responsibilities;
- Requirements for the position – a list of necessary professional credentials, education, skills, experience, and licences, as required;
- Details about start and end dates (if applicable) of the position;
- Specifics about the salary you are offering – both wages and other forms of payment; and
- The name and address of the employer, the address of the employee’s future place of work, and the details of a contact person at the Canadian company who is familiar with the job offer.
Along with verifying that the job offer is genuine, ESDC will ensure that the conditions the Canadian company is offering are consistent with Canadian standards. Once ESDC has confirmed the job offer with a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA), CIC will grant employment authorization for the company's future employee(s) to work in Canada.
NOTE: If the employment is to take place in the province of Quebec, the job offer must also be approved by the Quebec Government. To learn more, click here.
Cohen Immigration Law can guide you through the Work Permit process.
- Cohen Immigration Law's Work Permit Service for temporary job offers.
- Arranged Employment or Provincial Nomination for permanent job offers.