Rights And Responsibilities Of Canadian Citizens
Once you obtain your Canadian citizenship, you will be entitled to all of the rights and freedoms afforded to Canadian citizens.
These rights include:
- Legal rights
- Equality rights
- Mobility rights
- Aboriginal Peoples' rights
- The right to peaceful assembly
- The right to vote
- Freedom of thought
- Freedom of speech
- Freedom to practice religion
Canadian Citizenship Calculator
Recent changes mean that you may be able to apply for Canadian citizenship sooner than previously.
It is important to recognize that these rights and freedoms come with responsibility. These responsibilities include:
- To obey Canadian law.
- To express ones opinions freely while respecting the rights and freedoms of others.
- To help those in your community, for example, through volunteering.
- To take responsibility to protect our environment and preserve our heritage.
- To eliminate discrimination and injustice.