Quebec Immigration - Language Proficiency
The Language Proficiency factor for English and French is one of the ten criteria for which points are awarded under the Quebec Immigration selection system.
In order for the applicant to receive points for English or French proficiency, language test results must be submitted.
- For more information on approved French tests, see Proving French Language Ability (Quebec Skilled Worker Program).
- For more information on the approved English tests, see Proving English Language Ability.
Up to 22 points are awarded under the Language Proficiency factor of the Quebec Skilled Worker Program on the following basis. An applicant with a spouse or common-law partner can:
|French Language proficiency|
|Skill||Low Beginner (A1)||High Beginner (A2)||Low Intermediate (B1)||High Intermediate (B2)||Advanced (C1)||Advanced (C2)|
|Listening||0 points||0 points||0 points||5 points||6 points||7 points|
|Speaking||0 points||0 points||0 points||5 points||6 points||7 points|
|Reading||0 points||0 points||0 points||1 point||1 point||1 point|
|Writing||0 points||0 points||0 points||1 point||1 point||1 point|
|English Language proficiency|
|Skill||Beginner (CLB 1-4)||Intermediate (CLB 5-8)||Advanced (CLB 9-12)|
|Listening||0 points||1 point||2 points|
|Speaking||0 points||1 point||2 points|
|Reading||0 points||1 point||1 point|
|Writing||0 points||1 point||1 point|
An accompanying spouse or common-law partner of a principal applicant can obtain up to six points for oral French language proficiency. The following table outlines a breakdown of points awarded for French language proficiency to accompanying spouses or common-law partners. A complete a list of spouse or common-law characteristics and points awarded for the Quebec Skilled Worker Program can be reviewed on this page.
|Skill||(CLB 1-6)||(CLB 7-8)||(CLB 9-12)|
|Listening||0 points||2 points||3 points|
|Speaking||0 points||2 points||3 points|
|Reading||0 points||0 points||0 points|
|Writing||0 points||0 points||0 points|
French Language Proficiency:
- Listening: Able to understand short statements (commonly used phrases).
- Speaking: Able to express basic needs.
- Listening: Able to understand practical information concerning everyday life.
- Speaking: Able to make yourself understood in familiar and foreseeable situations.
- Listening: Able to understand significant information about familiar and foreseeable situations.
- Speaking: Able to express yourself in a comprehensible manner on subjects related to everyday life.
- Listening: Understand detailed information about subjects you are familiar with, or concrete and abstract subjects.
- Speaking: Can clearly express yourself on subjects related to your areas of interest.
- Listening: Understand detailed information related to social and professional life.
- Speaking: Can confidently and precisely express yourself on a variety of subjects.
Learn about the next selection factor under the Quebec Skilled Worker Program: Stay and Family In Quebec.
See the complete list of selection factors under the Quebec Skilled Worker Program.