The International Masters Graduate Stream of the Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program (OINP) has reached its intake limit for the time being, just days after reopening. No registrations will be accepted through this stream until registration reopens. The OINP has alerted stakeholders that an update on when the stream will reopen once again is scheduled to be provided on May 1, 2017. The OINP will resume accepting applications for this stream within the next three months.
This news comes three days after a new online system for the International Masters Graduate and International PhD Graduate streams was rolled out on February 21, with the goal of making it easier to apply while also improving customer service and processing times.
Registrants who acted quickly and successfully created a registration for the International Masters Graduate Stream and received a confirmation number from the OINP e-Filing System may continue with their application. These individuals have seven calendar days to complete an application after registering.
In a program update published on its website, the OINP stated that it is monitoring the volume of applications to the International Masters Graduate, International PhD Graduate, and the Express Entry Human Capital Priorities streams throughout the year. These streams will be paused and reopened periodically until the province’s 2017 federal allocation is filled.
Potential applicants must fulfill the following criteria in order to be able to successfully submit an application:
- Must intend to live and work in Ontario;
- Must have graduated from an existing Master’s program at an eligible publicly funded university in Ontario (the program of study must have been at least one year in length and must have been completed on a full-time basis);
- Must submit the application within two years of the date on which the Master's degree was granted;
- Must have legal status (i.e. study permit, work permit, visitor record) if living in Ontario at the time of the application. Please note that:
- Applicants may be living outside Canada at the time of application; however, individuals living in Canada but outside Ontario are ineligible to apply, and
- Candidates do not need to have legal status in Canada if they are applying from outside Canada;
- Must demonstrate an adequate intermediate proficiency level in English or French of Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 7 or above in all four competencies (speaking, reading, writing, and listening);
- Must be able to show a minimum level of savings and/or income in order to support themselves and their dependents; and
- Must show that they have resided in Ontario for at least 12 cumulative months in the 24 months before submitting an application.