If you are interested in working as a Medical Sonographer in Canada, you will be pleased to know that the job outlook for your occupation in Canada is extremely positive.
You can use this overview of the Canadian employment prospects in your field to start planning your immigration and settlement in Canada.
Important statistics for this occupation:
- Canada is in need of health workers across the country, as demand for health services is growing faster than the labour market can meet.
- In Quebec, the tasks of medical sonographers are performed by medical radiation technologists (see NOC 3215).
- The median yearly income for a Medical Sonographer ranges from $47,000 to $88,000.
Duties for Medical Sonographers
Medical sonographers operate ultrasound equipment to produce and record images of various parts of the body to aid physicians in monitoring pregnancies and in diagnosing cardiac, ophthalmic, vascular and other medical disorders. They are employed in clinics and hospitals. Medical sonographers who are supervisors or instructors are included in this unit group. Medical sonographers may specialize in abdominal, cardiac, cerebral, obstetrical and gynaecological, ophthalmic, intraluminal or peripheral vascular sonography. They may also specialize in adult or pediatric echocardiography or neurosonology.
Description of Main Duties
Medical sonographers perform some or all of the following duties:
- Operate ultrasound imaging equipment that transmits high frequency sound pulses through the body to produce images of those parts of the body requiring examination
- Monitor examination by viewing images on video screen, to evaluate quality and consistency of diagnostic images, and make adjustments to equipment, as required
- Record, store and process scanned images by using camera unit connected to ultrasound equipment
- Observe and care for patients throughout examinations to ensure patient safety and comfort
- Prepare examination reports for physicians to aid in the monitoring of pregnancies and the diagnosis of cardiac, abdominal, ophthalmic, vascular and other disorders
- Perform quality control checks on ultrasound equipment to ensure proper operation and perform minor repairs and adjustments as required
- May supervise and train student and other medical sonographers.
Example job titles for Medical Sonographers:
- Diagnostic medical sonography instructor
- Medical sonographer
- Medical sonographers supervisor
- Registered diagnostic medical sonographer (RDMS)
- Ultrasound technologist
Find out about salary ranges for Senior Managers in different Canadian cities with our Canada Salary Calculator.
You can start looking for a job in Canada by using our Canada Job Search Tool.