If you are interested in working as a Manager in Health Care in Canada, you will be pleased to know that the job outlook for your occupation in Canada is extremely healthy with significantly more opportunities projected than job seekers.
You can use this overview of the Canadian employment prospects in your field to start planning your immigration and settlement in Canada.
Important statistics for this occupation:
- Managers in health care specialize in administering the provision of specific health care services such as dietetics, clinical medicine, laboratory medicine, nursing, physiotherapy or surgery.
- This field allows progression to senior management with experience.
- The majority of new job openings in this field will result from retirements, with one of the highest retirement rates of all occupations.
- Most candidates for these positions come from the health sector where they have acquired considerable experience.
- Managers in health care are always needed in Canada’s major cities. However, many smaller cities and towns across Canada are experiencing economic booms and are in need of experienced managers in health care to lead new and expanding companies.
- The median yearly income for a Manager in Health Care is $86,700 in Canada, with high incomes reported in the range of $120,000.
Duties for Managers in Health Care
Managers in Health Care plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate the delivery of health care services, such as diagnosis and treatment, nursing and therapy, within institutions that provide health care services. They are employed in hospitals, medical clinics, nursing homes and other health care establishments.
Description of Main Duties
Managers in Health Care perform some or all of the following duties:
- Plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate the delivery of health care services within a department or establishment
- Consult with boards of directors and senior managers to maintain and establish standards for the provision of health care services
- Develop evaluation systems to monitor the quality of health care given to patients
- Monitor the use of diagnostic services, in-patient beds and facilities to ensure effective use of resources
- Develop and implement plans for new programs, special projects, new material and equipment acquisitions and future staffing levels in their department or establishment
- Plan and control departmental or establishment budget
- Represent the department or establishment at meetings with government officials, the public, the media and other organizations
- Supervise health care supervisors and professionals
- Recruit health care staff of the department or establishment.
Example job titles for Managers in Health Care:
- Chief of anesthesia
- Chief of emergency medicine
- Chief of medical staff
- Director of clinical medicine
- Director of dietetics
- Director of laboratory medicine
- Director of nursing – medical services
- Director of occupational therapy
- Director of physiotherapy
- Director of surgery
- Director, home care services
- Director, rehabilitation services
- Medical clinic director
- Mental health residential care program manager
Find out about salary ranges for Managers in Health Care in different Canadian cities with our Canada Salary Calculator.