If you are interested in working as a Mechanical Engineering Technologist or Technician in Canada, you will be pleased to know that the job outlook for your occupation in Canada is extremely positive.
You can use this overview of the Canadian employment prospects in your field to start planning your immigration and settlement in Canada.
Important statistics for this occupation:
- As Canada’s economy grows, an increased demand for computer and electronics products means that the demand for Electrical and Electronics Engineering Technologists and Technicians will continue to grow steadily.
- Experienced workers in this field may advance to positions as engineers if they take necessary courses and become certified.
- 13% of workers in this field are immigrants.
- Electrical and Electronics Engineering Technologists and Technicians work in a variety of fields. About 36% work in the manufacturing sector, 12% in professional, scientific and technical services, and 7% in wholesale trade.
- The average salary for this job in Ontario is $64,200 a year.
Duties for Electrical and Electronics Engineering Technologists and Technicians:
Electrical and electronics engineering technologists and technicians may work independently or provide technical support and services in the design, development, testing, production and operation of electrical and electronic equipment and systems. They are employed by electrical utilities, communications companies, manufacturers of electrical and electronic equipment, consulting firms, and in governments and a wide range of manufacturing, processing and transportation industries.
Description of Main Duties
Electrical and electronics engineering technologists perform some or all of the following duties:
- Design, develop and test power equipment and systems, industrial process control systems, telecommunication, broadcast, recording and audiovisual systems, micro-electronic systems and circuits, computers, computer systems and networks, and computer software
- Supervise the building and testing of prototypes according to general instructions and established standards
- Conduct or supervise the installation, commissioning, and operation of electrical and electronic equipment and systems other than aircraft electronics or instruments
- Carry out applied research in fields of electrical and electronic engineering and physics under the direction of scientists or engineers
- Set up and operate specialized and standard test equipment to diagnose, test and analyze the performance of electrical and electronic components, assemblies and systems
- Write specifications, schedules and technical reports and control schedules and budgets.
Electrical and electronics engineering technicians perform some or all of the following duties:
- Assist in the design, development and testing of electrical and electronic components, equipment, and systems
- Assist in inspection, testing, adjusting and evaluation of incoming electrical, electro-mechanical and electronic components and assemblies to ensure conformance with product specifications and tolerances
- Conduct life tests (burn-ins) on assemblies and record and analyze results
- Assist in building and testing prototypes to specifications
- Carry out a limited range of technical functions in support of research in electrical and electronic engineering and physics
- Install, operate and maintain electrical and electronic equipment and systems
- Calibrate electrical or electronic equipment and instruments according to technical manuals and written instructions
- Collect and compile operational or experimental data and assist in the preparation of estimates, schedules, budgets, specifications and reports.
Example job titles for Electrical and Electronics Engineering Technologists and Technicians:
- Communications technologist
- Electrical engineering technician
- Electrical engineering technologist
- Electricity distribution network technologist
- Electronics design technologist
- Electronics engineering technician
- Electronics engineering technologist
- Electronics manufacturing technician
- Electronics manufacturing technologist
- Lighting technologist
- Metering technologist
- Microwave maintenance technician
- Production support technician - electronics manufacturing
Find out about salary ranges for Senior Managers in different Canadian cities with our Canada Salary Calculator.
You can start looking for a job in Canada by using our Canada Job Search Tool.