You are in the archive section. Content on this page may no longer be valid.

If you are interested in working as an Audiologist or Speech-Language Pathologist in Canada, you will be pleased to know that the job outlook for your occupation in Canada is extremely positive.

You can use this overview of the Canadian employment prospects in your field to start planning your immigration and settlement in Canada.

audiologist-speech-language-pathologist

Important statistics for this occupation:

  • In Ontario, workers in this field make an average of $75,000 per year.
  • Approximately 72% of Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists work in health care and social assistance, while the remaining 28% work in schools.
  • 18% of workers in this field work in private practices, a number that has increased sharply in recent years.
  • Women hold more than 95% of jobs in this field.
  • Professional certification is usually required.

Duties for Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists

Audiologists diagnose, evaluate and treat individuals with peripheral and central hearing loss, tinnitus and balance problems. Speech-language pathologists diagnose, assess and treat human communication disorders including speech, fluency, language, voice and swallowing disorders. Audiologists and speech-language pathologists are employed in hospitals, community and public health centres, extended care facilities, day clinics, rehabilitation centres and educational institutions, or may work in private practice. Audiologists and speech-language pathologists who are supervisors are included in this unit group.

Description of Main Duties

Audiologists perform some or all of the following duties:

  • Develop and administer audiometric tests and examinations using specialized instruments and electronic equipment to diagnose and evaluate the degree and type of patients' hearing impairment
  • Plan and implement habilitation/rehabilitation programs for patients, including selection, fitting and adjustment of amplification devices, such as hearing aids, and teaching speech (lip) reading
  • Provide information to patients and families regarding the nature, extent, impact and implications of hearing loss and treatment
  • Establish personalized care plans working as a member of an interdisciplinary team
  • Conduct research related to hearing and hearing disorders
  • May instruct and supervise audiometric technicians, students and other health care personnel.

Speech-language pathologists perform some or all of the following duties:

  • Administer tests and examinations and observe patients to diagnose and evaluate speech, voice, resonance, language, cognitive-linguistic and swallowing disorders
  • Develop, plan and implement remedial programs to correct speech, voice, language, resonance, cognitive-linguistic and swallowing disorders
  • Establish group and personalized care plans working as a member of an interdisciplinary team
  • Provide advice and educational services to patients and families regarding communication and swallowing disorders
  • Conduct research on speech and other communication disorders and on the development and design of diagnostic procedures and devices
  • May instruct and supervise communicative disorders assistants, students and other health care personnel.

Example job titles for Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists:

  • Audiologist
  • Certified audiologist
  • Clinical audiologist
  • Educational audiologist
  • Research audiologist
  • Speech therapist
  • Speech-language clinician
  • Speech-language pathologist

Find out about salary ranges for Senior Managers in different Canadian cities with our Canada Salary Calculator.

You can start looking for a job in Canada by using our Canada Job Search Tool.

Get Started

Latest News

  • Upfront Medicals no Longer Available for Family Class Applicants

    Upfront medical examinations are no longer available for Family Class Canadian immigration applicants and remain available only to Express Entry applicants in the permanent residence lines of business.

  • Liberals Set to Overhaul Guide for Canada’s Citizenship Exam

    A draft version of a new study guide for the Canadian Citizenship exam shows that the government plans on overhauling the book used by prospective Canadians in preparation for the exam.