The Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program (AINP) will open a new stream, the Alberta Opportunity Stream (AOS) early 2018, which will replace the Employer-Driven Stream and Strategic Recruitment Stream. Applications for the two streams will continue to be accepted by the province until the new stream takes effect.
In order to qualify for AOS, individuals must meet all the residency status, language, education, work experience and income level requirements listed below:
Applicants must meet the following residency requirements:
- Have a valid temporary resident status in Canada that authorizes eligibility to work Canada (i.e. temporary foreign worker).
- Have a valid work permit (not implied status or restoration status) for an eligible occupation based on:
Applicants must meet the following language requirements:
- A minimum of Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) score of 4 for each language skill: listening, reading, writing and speaking in English or French.
Note: As of January 2, 2019, the test score required for English and French language skills will be increased to a minimum of 5 in each language skill.
In order to qualify for AOS, individuals must have completed at least a Canadian high school diploma or equivalent. To show education requirements are met the highest level of foreign education must be verified through an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) from an IRCC recognized organization.
ECAs are not required from applicants with a Canadian degree, diploma or certificate from a recognized Canadian post-secondary, technical college or secondary institution, or work experience that qualifies an individual for the AINP in a compulsory or optional trade and have a valid Alberta Qualification Certificate or trade certificate that is recognized by Alberta Apprenticeship and Industry Training.
In order to qualify for AOS, individuals must meet the following work experience requirements:
- Have a minimum of 12 months full-time work experience in the 'current occupation' in Alberta within the last 18 months; or
- Have a minimum of 24 months of full-time work experience in the 'current occupation' in Canada and/or overseas within the last 30 months
- This work experience can be a combination of experience gained in the province of Alberta, in Canada (outside Alberta) and/or overseas.
Note: 'Current occupation' refers to the occupation an individual is working in at the time of the application.
Additional criteria for the work experience are the following:
- must have been full-time, for a minimum of 30 hours/week; part-time work will not be considered,
- must be for the same occupation as the 'current occupation',
- must have been authorized by IRCC and with valid temporary resident status if completed in Alberta or Canada, and
- cannot have been completed while studying in Canada and doing co-op work placements or internships as part of a study program.
Have a valid job offer from Alberta employer to work in the current occupation in Alberta and be working full-time for the employer in Alberta.
- The job offer must be continuous, paid work, full-time work, defined as a minimum of 30 hours/week for 12 months.
Most occupations under the National Occupational Classification (NOC) skill levels 0, A, B, C and D are eligible under the AINP. Below is a list of ineligible occupations under the AOS:
Ineligible Occupations list
|NOC||NOC Skill Level||Occupation Title|
|0422||0||School Principals and Administrators of Elementary and Secondary Education|
|0423||0||Managers in Social, Community and Correctional Services|
|0432||0||Fire Chiefs and Senior Firefighting Officers|
|0651||0||Escort Agency Managers, Massage Parlour Managers|
|4031||A||Secondary School Teachers|
|4032||A||Elementary School and Kindergarten Teachers|
|4154||A||Professional Occupations in Religion|
|5121||A||Authors and Writers|
|5133||A||Musicians and Singers|
|5135||A||Actors and Comedians|
|5136||A||Painters, Sculptors and Other Visual Artists|
|1227||B||Court Officers and Justices of the Peace|
|3223||B||Dental Laboratory Bench Workers|
|4214||B||Early Childhood Educators and Assistants (only those without certification as a Child Development Worker (Level 2) or Child Development Supervisor (Level 3) through Alberta Children's Services – Child Care Staff Certification Office)*|
|4217||B||Other Religious Occupations|
|5232||B||Other Performers, n.e.c.|
|5244||B||Artisans and Craftspersons|
|6232||B||Real Estate Agents and Salespersons|
|4411||C||Home Child Care Providers|
|4412||C||Home Support Workers, Housekeepers and Related Occupations|
|4413||C||Elementary and Secondary School Teacher Assistants|
|6564||C||Other Personal Service Occupations|
|7513||C||Taxi and Limousine Drivers and Chauffeurs|
|8442||C||Trappers and Hunters|
|6623||C||Other Sales Related Occupations|
|6722||C||Operators and Attendants in Amusement, Recreation and Sport|
|6742||D||Other Service Support Occupations, n.e.c.|
|8612||D||Landscaping and Grounds Maintenance Labourers|
|8613||D||Aquaculture and Marine Harvest Labourers|
In order to qualify for AOS, applicants must meet the following income level requirements depending on the number of family members.
|Family size (including applicant)||Annual income required (CAD)|