As a U.S. citizen, you do not require a TRV or an eTA

No matter what method of transport you are using in order to visit Canada, you do not need a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or an electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). There are, however, enforced identification requirements at the Canadian Port of Entry. Ensure you carry proof of citizenship such as a passport, birth certificate, a certificate of citizenship or naturalization, or a Certificate of Indian Status along with photo identification.

Whether you're entering by air, land or water, it is recommended that you carry a valid passport for all travel abroad, including visits to Canada from the U.S. A passport may be required by your airline or alternative transportation authority, as it is the only universally-accepted identification document.

Citizens of the U.S. who are members of the NEXUS program may present their membership card to the Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) as proof of identification and as a document that denotes citizenship, when arriving by air, land, or marine modes. To learn more, click here.

Start over

DISCLAIMER: The information provided by this tool is generally applicable for individuals intending to visit Canada for less than six months.

Powered by