If you are interested in working as a Petroleum Engineer in Canada, you will be pleased to know that jobseekers for your occupation in Canada are in high demand.
Important statistics for this occupation:
- It is expected that the labour demand will be greater than the amount of job seekers over the 2011 to 2020 period.
- Job opportunities in this field will be due to both employment growth and retirements.
- The strength of the mining and oil extraction will create employment growth for this occupation that will be higher than average.
- The median yearly income for Petroleum Engineers is $93,500 in Canada, with high incomes reported in the range of $160,000.
Duties for Petroleum Engineers
Petroleum engineers conduct studies for the exploration, development and extraction of oil and gas deposits; and plan, design, develop and supervise projects for the drilling, completion, testing and re-working of oil and gas wells. They are employed by petroleum producing companies, consulting companies, well logging or testing companies, government, and research and educational institutions.
Description of Main Duties
Petroleum Engineers perform some or all of the following duties:
- Conduct feasibility assessment studies for developing new oil and gas fields
- Direct and monitor oil and gas drilling operations
- Develop drilling programs, select sites and specify drilling fluids, bit selection, drill stem testing procedures and equipment
- Direct and monitor the completion and evaluation of wells, well testing and well surveys
- Design and select artificial lift machinery, and well and surface production equipment and systems and specify programs for corrosion control and oil or gas treatment
- Develop specifications for and monitor and supervise well modification and stimulation programs to maximize oil and gas recovery
- Analyze reservoir rock and fluid data to design optimum recovery methods and to predict reservoir performance and reserves
- Monitor and forecast oil and gas reservoir performance and recommend oil recovery techniques which extend the economic life of wells
- Design, develop and co-ordinate the installation, maintenance and operation of subsea well-head and production equipment.
Petroleum engineers may specialize in drilling, production, reservoir analysis or subsea operations.
Example job titles for Petroleum Engineers:
- Petroleum Engineer
- Drilling and Recovery Engineer
- Offshore Drilling Engineer
- Oil and Gas Drilling Engineer
- Subsea Engineer
- Well Logging Engineer
Find out about salary ranges for Petroleum Engineers in different Canadian cities with our Canada Salary Calculator.
You can start looking for a job in Canada by using our Canada Job Search Tool.