+1 (514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445  | Home About Forum News Client Portal Contact
Campbell Cohen immigration law firm Canada Immigration Lawyers

Work Permit Fee Eliminated for Musicians Playing in Bars and Restaurants

the CanadaVisa Team - 08 July, 2015


Foreign artists entering Canada to perform in a bar or restaurant can now do so without the need to apply for and receive a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA). Previously, an LMIA, as well as the associated fee of $275 per individual, was needed for artists performing in this capacity.

The decision to subject foreign artists performing in bars and restaurants to the LMIA requirement came under criticism by music fans and industry experts. Although the decision was made in an effort to protect Canadian jobs, critics argued that it simply deprived Canadian fans of the chance to see their favorite bands.

Moving forward, musical and theatrical artists and groups, as well as their essential support crew, can tour without a work permit even if they are playing bars and restaurants. Larger acts were already subject to this work permit exemption, and will not be affected.

Work permits (as well as LMIAs, when necessary) will still apply to individuals who are:

Work Employer