If you are interested in working as a Mechanical Engineer in Canada, you will be pleased to know that jobseekers for your occupation in Canada are in high demand.
You can use this overview of the Canadian employment prospects in your field to start planning your immigration and settlement in Canada.
Important statistics for this occupation:
- The number of job openings resulting from retirement and employment growth are expected to be about equal.
- Job opportunities will increase strongly because of investments in infrastructure programs and the transition to a knowledge-based economy.
- Immigration will be a major source of supply for this occupation due to Canada’s targeting of highly skilled candidates for immigration. In addition, knowledge and experience gained abroad in engineering are more easily transferable from one country to another.
- The median yearly income for Mechanical Engineers is $72,800 in Canada, with high incomes reported in the range of $117,000.
Duties for Mechanical Engineers
Mechanical engineers research, design and develop machinery and systems for heating, ventilating and air conditioning, power generation, transportation, processing and manufacturing. They also perform duties related to the evaluation, installation, operation and maintenance of mechanical systems. Mechanical engineers are employed by consulting firms, by power-generating utilities and in a wide range of manufacturing, processing and transportation industries, or they may be self-employed.
Description of Main Duties
Mechanical Engineers perform some or all of the following duties:
- Conduct research into the feasibility, design, operation and performance of mechanisms, components and systems
- Plan and manage projects, and prepare material, cost and timing estimates, reports and design specifications for machinery and systems
- Design power plants, machines, components, tools, fixtures and equipment
- Analyze dynamics and vibrations of mechanical systems and structures
- Supervise and inspect the installation, modification and commissioning of mechanical systems at construction sites or in industrial facilities
- Develop maintenance standards, schedules and programs and provide guidance to industrial maintenance crews
- Investigate mechanical failures or unexpected maintenance problems
- Prepare contract documents and evaluate tenders for industrial construction or maintenance
- Supervise technicians, technologists and other engineers and review and approve designs, calculations and cost estimates.
Example job titles for Mechanical Engineers:
- Mechanical Engineer
- Acoustics Engineer
- Power Generation Engineer
- Nuclear Engineer
- Tool Engineer
Find out about salary ranges for Mechanical Engineers in different Canadian cities with our Canada Salary Calculator.
You can start looking for a job in Canada by using our Canada Job Search Tool