If you are interested in working as a Mechanical Engineering Technologist and Technician in Canada, you will be pleased to know that jobseekers for your occupation in Canada are in high demand.
You can use this overview of the Canadian employment prospects in your field to start planning your immigration and settlement in Canada.
Important statistics for this occupation:
- These opportunities are mainly available to college graduates.
- The rate of unemployment in this occupation is relatively low and there is a strong growth rate.
- Immigrants represent 11% of this occupation, which shows that it is accessible to newcomers.
- The median yearly income for a Financial Manager is $52,000 in Canada, with high incomes reported in the range of $78,600.
Duties for Mechanical Engineering Technologists and Technicians
Mechanical engineering technologists and technicians provide technical support and services or may work independently in mechanical engineering fields such as the design, development, maintenance and testing of machines, components, tools, heating and ventilating systems, power generation and power conversion plants, manufacturing plants and equipment. They are employed by consulting engineering, manufacturing and processing companies, institutions and government departments.
Description of Main Duties
Mechanical engineering technologists perform some or all of the following duties:
- Prepare and interpret conventional and computer-assisted design (CAD) engineering designs, drawings, and specifications for machines and components, power transmission systems, process piping, heating, ventilating and air-conditioning systems
- Prepare cost and material estimates, project schedules and reports
- Conduct tests and analyses of machines, components and materials to determine their performance, strength, response to stress and other characteristics
- Design moulds, tools, dies, jigs and fixtures for use in manufacturing processes
- Inspect mechanical installations and construction
- Prepare contract and tender documents
- Supervise, monitor and inspect mechanical installations and construction projects
- Prepare standards and schedules and supervise mechanical maintenance programs or operations of mechanical plants.
Mechanical engineering technicians perform some or all of the following duties:
- Assist in preparing conventional and computer-assisted design (CAD) engineering designs, drawings and specifications
- Carry out a limited range of mechanical tests and analyses of machines, components and materials
- Assist in the design of moulds, tools, dies, jigs and fixtures for use in manufacturing processes
- Assist in inspection of mechanical installations and construction projects
- Participate in the installation, repair and maintenance of machinery and equipment.
Example job titles for Mechanical Engineering Technologists and Technicians:
- HVAC (heating, ventilation and air conditioning) technologist
- Aeronautical technologist
- Heating designer
- Machine designer
- Marine engineering technologist
- Mechanical engineering technician
- Mechanical engineering technologist
- Mechanical technologist
- Mould designer
- Thermal station technician
- Tool and die designer
- Tool designer
Find out about salary ranges for Senior Managers in different Canadian cities with our Canada Salary Calculator.
You can start looking for a job in Canada by using our Canada Job Search Tool.