If you are interested in working as an Electrical and Electronics Engineer in Canada, you will be pleased to know that jobseekers for your occupation in Canada are in high demand.
You can use this overview of the Canadian employment prospects in your field to start planning your immigration and settlement in Canada.
Important statistics for this occupation:
- The number of job openings resulting from retirement and employment growth are expected to be about equal.
- Job opportunities will increase strongly because of investments in infrastructure programs and the transition to a knowledge-based economy.
- Immigration will be a major source of supply for this occupation due to Canada’s targeting of highly skilled candidates for immigration. In addition, knowledge and experience gained abroad in engineering are more easily transferable from one country to another.
- The median yearly income for Electrical and Electronics Engineers is $79,330 in Canada, with high incomes reported in the range of $115,000.
Duties for Electrical and Electronics Engineers
Electrical and electronics engineers design, plan, research, evaluate and test electrical and electronic equipment and systems. They are employed by electrical utilities, communications companies, manufacturers of electrical and electronic equipment, consulting firms, and by a wide range of manufacturing, processing and transportation industries and government.
Description of Main Duties
Electrical and Electronics Engineers perform some or all of the following duties:
- Conduct research into the feasibility, design, operation and performance of electrical generation and distribution networks, electrical machinery and components and electronic communications, instrumentation and control systems, equipment, and components
- Prepare material cost and timing estimates, reports and design specifications for electrical and electronic systems and equipment
- Design electrical and electronic circuits, components, systems and equipment
- Supervise and inspect the installation, modification, testing and operation of electrical and electronic systems and equipment
- Develop maintenance and operating standards for electrical and electronic systems and equipment
- Investigate electrical or electronic failures
- Prepare contract documents and evaluate tenders for construction or maintenance
- Supervise technicians, technologists, programmers, analysts and other engineers.
Electrical and electronics engineers may specialize in a number of areas including electrical design for residential, commercial or industrial installations, electrical power generation and transmission, and instrumentation and control systems.
Example job titles for Electrical and Electronics Engineers:
- Electrical Engineer
- Antenna Engineer
- Radio and Television Broadcasting Systems Engineer
- Signal Engineer
- Meter Engineer
Find out about salary ranges for Electrical and Electronics Engineers in different Canadian cities with our Canada Salary Calculator.
You can start looking for a job in Canada by using our Canada Job Search Tool.