Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership — CPTPP Work Permits

The Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership (CPTPP) is a free trade agreement between Canada and 10 other countries in the Asia-Pacific region: Australia, Brunei, Chile, Japan, Malaysia, Mexico, New Zealand, Peru, Singapore and Vietnam.

The CPTPP is currently in effect among the first six countries to ratify the agreement — Canada, Australia, Japan, Mexico, New Zealand, and Singapore — and will include the remaining five countries once they ratify.

CPTPP Canada Trans-Pacific Partnership

The agreement facilitates temporary entry to Canada for eligible business people and workers from specified CPTPP signatories by removing the work permit or Labour Market Impact Assessment requirement for those who meet the eligibility requirements under one of the following categories:

Professionals and Technicians

Eligible foreign professionals and technicians in specialty occupations that fall within National Occupational Classification (NOC) skill levels 0, A and B are granted temporary entry for up to one year (with the possibility of extensions) under this category, which does not require a Labour Market Impact Assessment.

Find out more about the CPTPP Professionals and Technicians category.

Business Visitors

This category allows temporary entry without a work permit to foreign nationals who meet the definition of business visitor, short-term business visitor or service sales person.

Learn more about the CPTPP Business Visitors category.

Intra-Corporate Transferees

This category allows eligible employees and management trainees of foreign businesses with a Canadian parent company, branch, subsidiary, or affiliate to enter Canada on a temporary work permit and waives the Labour Market Impact Assessment requirement.

Learn more about the CPTPP Intra-Corporate Transferees category.


This category applies to eligible business persons from specified CPTPP countries who are seeking to establish, develop or administer an investment in Canada or is in the process of committing a substantial amount of capital in Canada.

Learn about the CPTPP Investors category.

Contact Us

Please use the form below to submit your inquiry about getting a work permit and working legally in Canada. One of our work permit specialists will respond with an evaluation of your needs.