Work Experience Factor Under the Federal Skilled Worker Program

Last updated: 14 March 2023

The work experience factor is one of the six factors for which points are awarded by Canadian Immigration Officers in determining whether a Federal Skilled Worker applicant will be accepted or refused under the Federal Skilled Worker Class.

Up to 15 points are awarded under the work experience factor, based upon the number of years of experience. The applicant requires at least 12 months of full-time* skilled work experience (or the equivalent in part-time work), and points can be earned for up to six years of work experience. This work experience must be acquired in an occupation listed by the Government of Canada as having a National Occupational Classification (NOC) TEER category 0, 1, 2, or 3.

Points will be awarded on the following basis:

Work Experience
Points (15 max)
1 year (at least one year of continuous work or 1,560 hours total)
9 points
2-3 years
11 points
4-5 years
13 points
6 years or more
15 points

*Full-time work refers to at least 30 hour per week. For part-time work, the applicant could have worked more or less than 15 hours per week as long as it adds up to 1,560 hours. 

Learn more about the FSWP's selection factors

Contact us for Assistance

Cohen Immigration Law is a leading Canadian immigration law firm with over 45 years of experience. Cohen Immigration Law features over 60 immigration lawyers, paralegals, and professionals who are dedicated to helping you immigrate to Canada. was founded as the online presence of Cohen Immigration Law. Since its launch in 1994, CanadaVisa has grown into one of the globe's most trusted resources on Canadian immigration. If you want to immigrate to Canada through the PNP or another skilled worker pathway, the first step is to complete a free CanadaVisa assessment form. If you are eligible for Canadian immigration, a member of the Cohen Immigration Law team will reach out to provide you with as much assistance as possible.

Complete our FREE assessment to find out if you are eligible for Canadian immigration!