You are in the archive section. Content on this page may no longer be valid.

Some temporary residents in Canada (visitors, students, or workers) may require a medical examination in order to come to Canada.

If staying for six months or less:

Generally speaking, individuals who plan to stay in Canada for less than six months do not need a medical exam. The only exception is if they will be working in occupations in which public health must be protected.

If staying for more than six months:

Individuals planning to stay for over six months will need a medical exam if they meet one of the following criteria:

  • They have lived for six or more consecutive months in one or more designated countries or territories in the year immediately preceding the date they intend to enter Canada
  • They will be working in an occupation in which public health must be protected; or
  • They are applying for a Parent and Grandparent Super Visa

Note: Applicants who meet one of these criteria must undergo a medical exam, regardless of whether require a Temporary Resident Visa to visit Canada.

Occupations requiring a medical exam

Medical exams are required for individuals whose work has a possible impact on public health. Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) has outlined two job scenarios in which a medical exam would be required:

  1. Workers who, through their jobs, will come into close contact with people, such as:

    • Health sciences
    • Clinical laboratory workers
    • Medical students attending Canadian university
    • Medical electives and physicians on short-term locums
    • Primary and secondary school teachers
    • Domestic workers
    • Workers providing in-home care
    • hNursery workers
    • iSimilar positions
  2. Agricultural workers who have visited or lived in a designated country for more than six months in the past year.

Get Started

Latest News

  • Canada to open new Visa Application Centres and services points to facilitate biometrics collection

    The Government of Canada is opening new Visa Application Centres and service points in Europe, Africa and the Middle East to support the expansion of its biometrics program. 

  • Canada's new medical inadmissibility rules now in effect

    New rules governing the medical inadmissibility of immigration candidates are now in effect.