Canada to Lift Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) Requirement for Mexican Visitors |
+1 (514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445  | Home About Forum News Client Portal Contact Advertise
Cohen Immigration Law Canada Immigration Lawyers

Canada to Lift Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) Requirement for Mexican Visitors

the CanadaVisa Team - 28 June, 2016

Canada mexico flags
Canada mexico flags

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has announced that the government of Canada will lift the visa requirement for citizens of Mexico as of December 1, 2016. This announcement was made on day two of a three-day visit from Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto and comes as proof of Canada’s priority to re-establish a strong relationship with Mexico, one of its most important international partners.

This visa requirement was imposed in 2009, largely in an effort to stop the thousands of asylum claims from ineligible Mexican citizens. Since then, the visa issue has been a longstanding irritant between the two countries. In return for Canada’s visa requirement lift, Mexico will be ending the restrictions on Canadian beef imports, a second major irritant in the nations’ bilateral relationship.

Both Canada and Mexico understand the importance of having a mutually beneficial relationship that will allow for greater trade, stronger growth, increased flow of travellers, and superior job creation.

According to Prime Minister Trudeau, “This move will make it easier for our Mexican friends to visit Canada while growing our local economies and strengthening our communities.”

He also mentioned that, “Canada is pleased to deliver on the government’s commitment to lift the visa requirement for Mexican nationals. We look forward to the social and economic benefits that lifting the visa requirement will bring to both countries, especially to the middle class here in Canada.”

Once the lift takes place on December 1, 2016, Mexicans will no longer need to apply for a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) in order to visit, study, or work in Canada. Instead, they will simply need to apply for an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) if travelling to Canada by air, a requirement for all travellers from visa-exempt countries other than U.S. citizens. If travelling by land or sea, Mexicans will only need to have their travel documentation (i.e. passport) checked at a Canadian Port of Entry.

An eTA application can be made online and the process is simple, inexpensive, and fast. The eTA is valid for five years, or until the traveller’s passport expires, whichever date occurs first.

Mexicans should note that they will still require a work or study permit if they plan to work or study during their time in Canada.

To learn more, review our comprehensive electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) FAQ.


If you have any questions or concerns about the process of obtaining an eTA and gaining entry to Canada, please send a detailed email to

Work Study Legal Employer Studylegal