If you are interested in working as an Insurance Adjusters or Claims Examiner in Canada, you will be pleased to know that the job outlook for your occupation in Canada is every good.
You can use this overview of the Canadian employment prospects in your field to start planning your immigration and settlement in Canada.
Why your employment prospects in Canada are excellent:
- There is an on-going high demand for claim examiners and adjusters regardless of the state of the economy.
- Insurance adjusters and claims examiners are employed by a wide range of establishments throughout the private and public sector, such as banks, brokerage houses, insurance companies, investment companies, manufacturing firms, trust companies, utility companies and underwriting firms.
- An aging population will require more health and long term care insurance options. The growing use of the internet for business and personal use has also increased the need for new insurance products to cover risks such as identity theft.
- Persons who have expertise with computerized accounting and insurance processing systems may have an advantage over others seeking employment in these fields of work.
- Insurance adjusters may also find jobs as claims examiners, field adjusters, supervisors or claims managers. Adjusters with sales ability may become insurance salespersons. Those with financial skills may become underwriters.
Obtaining industry certification in this field is highly preferable in order to find jobs and practice in this industry.
Some areas of Canada where your occupation is in demand:
While there is a shortage of Insurance Adjusters and Claims Examiners across Canada, the following cities and provinces listed below have a particularly high demand for this occupation.
- Employment prospects for insurance adjusters and claims examiners are expected to be good in the 2010 to 2014 period.
- A proportionally larger number of jobs for insurance adjusters and claims examiners are located in Winnipeg.
- Employment prospects are good in this local area.
- While the changes to the Bank Act allow banks into the insurance industry, adjusters and examiners are still in high demand.
- Employment prospects over the next 5 years are considered to be good.
Toronto Region, Ontario
- Employment prospects are good in this region.
- A high demand for insurance adjusters and claims examiners will continue to arise because of the increased need for property and casualty insurance activity resulting from growth in population, incomes and urban concentration.
- Employment prospects are good in this province.
- Employment is expected to increase due to better market penetration by insurance companies and the need for replacement staff, particularly in the Laval and Montreal, Quebec regions.
Duties for Insurance Adjusters and Claims Examiners
Insurance adjusters investigate insurance claims and determine the amount of loss or damages covered by insurance policies. They are employed in claims departments of insurance companies or as independent adjusters. Insurance claims examiners examine claims investigated by insurance adjusters and authorize payments. They are employed at head offices or branches of insurance companies.
Description of Main Duties:
Insurance adjusters perform some or all of the following duties:
- Investigate circumstances surrounding insurance claims to determine validity of claim
- Inspect automobile, home or other property damage
- Take statements and consult with claimants, accident witnesses, doctors and other relevant individuals and examine records or reports
- Determine amount of loss or damages covered by insurance policies
- Negotiate settlement of claims
- Prepare adjustment reports.
Insurance claims examiners perform some or all of the following duties:
- Review, examine, calculate and authorize insurance claims investigated by insurance adjusters
- Examine adjusters' reports and similar insurance claims or precedents to determine extent of insurance coverage
- Ensure claims are valid and settlements are made according to company practices and procedures
- Consult lawyers, doctors or other relevant individuals to discuss insurance claims
- Approve automobile, fire, life, disability, dental or other insurance claims.
Example job titles for Insurance Adjusters and Claims Examiners:
| || |
Find out about salary ranges for Insurance Adjusters and Claims Examiners in different Canadian cities with our Canada Salary Calculator.
You can start looking for a job in Canada by using our Canada Job Search Tool.