If you are interested in working as a Database Analyst or Data Administrator in Canada, you will be pleased to know that jobseekers for your occupation in Canada are in high demand.
You can use this overview of the Canadian employment prospects in your field to start planning your immigration and settlement in Canada.
Important statistics for this occupation:
- It is expected that the labour demand will be greater than the amount of job seekers over the 2011 to 2020 period.
- Job opportunities in this field will result mostly from expansion demand, with employment growth in this occupation as one of the strongest of the period from 2011 to 2020.
- Growth in this industry is due to the fact that computer technology is now an integral part of the economy, which in general is increasingly knowledge-based.
- Immigration is expected to be an important source of job seekers since computer-related jobs remain one of the most attractive high-skilled occupations for immigrants, given that skills and knowledge acquired abroad in this field are easily transferable to Canada.
- The median yearly income for this profession is $66,100 in Canada, with high incomes reported in the range of $97,000.
Duties for Database Analysts and Data Administrators
Database analysts design, develop and administer data management solutions using database management software. Data administrators develop and implement data administration policy, standards and models. They are employed in information technology consulting firms and in information technology units throughout the private and public sectors.
Description of Main Duties
Database analysts perform some or all of the following duties:
- Collect and document user's requirements
- Design and develop database architecture for information systems projects
- Design, construct, modify, integrate, implement and test data models and database management systems
- Conduct research and provide advice to other informatics professionals regarding the selection, application and implementation of database management tools
- Operate database management systems to analyze data and perform data mining analysis.
- May lead, co-ordinate or supervise other workers in this group.
Data administrators perform some or all of the following duties:
- Develop and implement data administration policy, standards and models
- Research and document data requirements, data collection and administration policy, data access rules and security
- Develop policies and procedures for network and/or internet database access and usage and for the backup and recovery of data
- Conduct research and provide advice to other information systems professionals regarding the collection, availability, security and suitability of data
- Write scripts related to stored procedures and triggers
- May lead and co-ordinate teams of data administrators in the development and implementation of data policies, standards and models.
Example job titles for Database Analysts and Data Administrators:
- Data – administrator, custodian, miner, etc
- Database – analyst, architect, designer, administrator, etc
- Electronic Data Processing Analyst
- Technical Architect
Find out about salary ranges for Database Analysts and Data Administrators in different Canadian cities with our Canada Salary Calculator.
You can start looking for a job in Canada by using our Canada Job Search Tool.