If you are interested in working as a Construction Engineer in Canada, you will be pleased to know that the job outlook for your occupation in Canada is extremely positive.
You can use this overview of the Canadian employment prospects in your field to start planning your immigration and settlement in Canada.
Important statistics for this occupation:
- Professionals in this field can come from a variety of backgrounds, including graduates of civil engineering or building mechanics programs as well as construction workers with hands-on experience.
- Although approximately 9% of workers in this field are immigrants, this number may well increase thanks to recent immigration efforts to recruit Construction Estimators.
- 67% of Construction Estimators work in the construction industry. However, significant numbers also work in manufacturing (13%) and engineering and architectural firms (5%).
- Workers in this field obtain many skills that can lead to jobs in other areas such as: sales representatives, technical writers, civil engineering technicians, and higher management-level jobs.
- The average salary for this job in Ontario is $75,00 a year.
Duties for Construction Estimators
Construction estimators analyze costs of and prepare estimates on civil engineering, architectural, structural, electrical and mechanical construction projects. They are employed by residential, commercial and industrial construction companies and major electrical, mechanical and trade contractors, or they may be self-employed.
Description of Main Duties
Construction Estimators perform some or all of the following duties:
- Construction Estimators perform some or all of the following duties:
- Prepare estimates of probable costs of materials, labour and equipment for construction projects based on contract bids, quotations, schematic drawings and specifications
- Advise on tendering procedures, examine and analyze tenders, recommend tender awards and conduct negotiations
- Establish and maintain tendering process and set up cost monitoring and reporting systems and procedures
- Prepare cost and expenditure statements and forecasts at regular intervals for the duration of a project
- Prepare and maintain a directory of suppliers, contractors and subcontractors
- Liaise, consult and communicate with engineers, architects, owners, contractors and subcontractors, and prepare economic feasibility studies on changes and adjustments to cost estimates
- Manage and co-ordinate construction projects and prepare construction progress schedules.
Example job titles for Construction Estimators:
- Chief estimator - construction
- Construction estimator
- Cost estimator - construction
- Principal estimator - construction
- Professional quantity surveyor
- Quantity surveyor - construction
Find out about salary ranges for Senior Managers in different Canadian cities with our Canada Salary Calculator.
You can start looking for a job in Canada by using our Canada Job Search Tool.