You are in the archive section. Content on this page may no longer be valid.

Please see our Federal Skilled Workers page for current information.

Skilled Worker/Professional applicants who intend to work as engineers in Canada will generally have to be assessed by the Canadian Council of Professional Engineers (the "CCPE"). A similar assessment is conducted by the Ordre des Ingénieurs du Québec (the "Ordre") in the case of applicants who intend to work as engineers in Montreal or another city in the province of Quebec.

The CCPE and the Ordre do not actually assess the professional abilities or skills of the applicant. Rather, their informal assessments confirm whether the academic institution from which the applicant's engineering degree was obtained has a "recognized" engineering program.

Canadian and Quebec immigration processing posts rely on these assessments to help determine whether applicants will be employable in Canada as engineers. Although these informal assessments are not mandatory, applicants who do not submit them may find it difficult to convince immigration officials of their employability in Canada. Likewise, applicants who are positively assessed by the CCPE or the Ordre will have a better chance of succeeding in their applications for Canadian permanent resident status.

To be positively assessed by the CCPE and the Ordre, the non-Canadian academic institution must, among other things:

  • offer at least two engineering programs must be offered (i.e., electrical, chemical, civil, etc.);
  • have been granting degrees for at least 20 years;
  • have a student-teacher ratio of no more than 30:1;
  • have a library containing at least 100,000 volumes;
  • be a member of the International Association of Universities or Association of Commonwealth Universities;
  • offer higher engineering degree programs (i.e. beyond the Bachelor's level); and
  • demonstrate evidence of scholarly research activity in engineering (ie. publications, conferences, etc.).

The CCPE and the Ordre each requires:

  • certified true copies of engineering degrees (mere uncertified photocopies are not sufficient);
  • payment of an assessment fee in the amount of CAD$175 (payable by certified cheque, bank draft, money order or Visa); and
  • copies of university and/or college engineering transcripts.

Please note that CCPE/Ordre assessment is not required for all computer professionals, even though some computer professionals may be known as "Engineers" outside Canada.