You are in the archive section. Content on this page may no longer be valid.

Please see our Work Permit page for current information.

Foreign individuals whose proposed activities are required in or beneficial to Canada -- regardless of the labor market conditions or unemployment rates in Canada -- do not need Employment Authorizations.

Examples include:

  • Diplomats, consular officers, officials and members of their suite
  • Military personnel
  • Clergy and related workers
  • Groups of 15 or more performing artists
  • Crew members of vehicles of foreign ownership and registry who are engaged predominantly in the international transport of cargo and passengers
  • News reporting personnel
  • Buyers of Canadian goods or services
  • Sellers of goods or services (provided that no sales are made to the general public) entering Canada for not more than 90 days
  • Exhibitors at conventions and meetings (provided that no sales are made to the general public)
  • Collectors and dealers/hobbyists (provided that no sales are made to the general public)
  • Corporation and union employees entering Canada for not more than 90 days for consultation, monitoring, negotiating, auditing and inspection purposes
  • Persons who come to Canada for the purpose of rendering services in times of emergency
  • Athletes
  • Judges/referees at international sporting or artistic events
  • Animal and agricultural show judges
  • Academic examiners and consultants
  • Guest speakers
  • Expert witnesses
  • Personal servants who will accompany their usual employer into Canada for a period of not more than 90 days
  • Individuals who come to work for a Federal or Provincial government on an exchange basis
  • Medical electives
  • Intra-company trainees, provided that the activities are primarily for the purposes of learning and not for the purpose of production (although some hands-on training is allowed)
  • Convention delegates/organizers
  • Individuals who have Student Authorizations and who, during the course of their full-time studies in Canada, are employed on the campus at which they are registered
  • Certain types of short-term business visitors