BC PNP Tech Pilot
The British Columbia Provincial Nominee Program (BC PNP) Tech Pilot allows the technology sector in BC to attract and retain the talent it needs to grow the sector further.
Launched in 2017, the BC PNP Tech Pilot came about due to the fact that the demand for talent in BC's tech sector is increasing faster than the supply. The initiative supports the attraction of skilled workers and to satisfy the demand for tech talent by expanding BC's talent pool of skilled workers. The BC PNP Tech pilot is being extended until June 2021.
The BC PNP Tech Pilot features:
- Dedicated concierge service
- Tech employers have access to relevant immigration information.
- Weekly invitations for tech registrants to apply
- Tech employers have timely access to qualified individuals in the 29 eligible tech occupations.
- Priority processing
- Dedicated BC PNP Tech Team and next business day assignment of tech applications in the 29 occupations. The BC PNP says most applications are processed within two to three months.
- Focused outreach and engagement
- BC PNP sessions and events tailored for the tech sector, including one-on-one employer support.
How it works
The BC PNP issues invitations on a weekly basis to qualified registrants who have a valid job offer in one of the 29 eligible occupations.
Job offers under the BC PNP tech Pilot must:
- be for one of the 29 eligible occupations under the BC PNP Tech Pilot;
- be at least one year in duration (365 days); and
- have 120 calendar days remaining at the time of application.
The free registration process includes providing information about the applicant’s supporting BC employer. In order to be issued an invitation to apply, both the applicant and his or her employer must meet all program requirements at the time of registration. Meeting these requirements does not guarantee that the applicant will be invited to apply.
For the BC PNP Tech Pilot the minimum duration of the job offer is 365 days, as opposed to the other BC PNP streams which require a job offer for an indeterminate duration. A job offer that is longer than a year will continue to be eligible for the Tech Pilot. The job offer must also be full-time and from an eligible employer in the province.
To learn more about immigrating to BC, see our complete BC PNP page.
The BC PNP supports employers to attract and retain needed talent by providing an expedited immigration pathway for internationally trained workers who have the critical skills, experience and qualifications needed by BC employers, as well as international students who have completed their education in BC or elsewhere in Canada and have the critical skills required for BC’s technology sector.
The BC PNP will continue to invite candidates under different categories of its Skills Immigration Registration System (SIRS), depending on their job, work experience, and level of education.
- Once a candidate has determined his or her category, he or she may register online and receive a registration score. Registration is free.
- Every week (subject to processing capacity), the BC PNP will conduct a tech draw to invite the highest-scoring technology sector registrants to apply.
- Invited candidates have up to 30 calendar days from the date of invitation to submit a complete online application. The government application fee is $700.
- The BC PNP will process the application on a priority basis.
- If approved, the applicant receives a nomination that he or she can use to apply for permanent residence.
- Individuals who have been nominated and who meet the conditions of their nomination will receive a work permit support letter that allows them to obtain or renew their current work permit allowing them to work throughout the process.
Eligible occupations for the BC PNP Tech Pilot
|Telecommunication carriers managers||0131|
Computer and information systems managers
Managers - publishing, motion pictures, broadcasting and performing arts
|Electrical and electronics engineers||2133|
Computer engineers (except software engineers and designers)
|Information systems analysts and consultants||2171|
|Database analysts and data administrators||2172|
|Software engineers and designers||2173|
|Computer programmers and interactive media developers||2174|
Web designers and developers
|Biological technologists and technicians||2221|
|Electrical and electronics engineering technologists and technicians||2241|
|Electronic service technicians (household and business equipment)||2242|
Industrial instrument technicians and mechanics
|Computer network technicians||2281|
|User support technicians||2282|
|Information systems testing technicians||2283|
|Authors and writers||5121|
|Translators, terminologists and interpreters||5125|
|Audio and video recording technicians||5225|
|Other technical and co-ordinating occupations in motion pictures, broadcasting and the performing arts||5226|
Support occupations in motion pictures, broadcasting, photography and the performing arts
Graphic designers and illustrators
Technical sales specialists - wholesale trade