If you are interested in working as an Architect in Canada, you will be pleased to know that the job outlook for your occupation in Canada is extremely positive.
You can use this overview of the Canadian employment prospects in your field to start planning your immigration and settlement in Canada.
Why your employment prospects in Canada are excellent:
- Architects are employed by architectural firms, private corporations and governments, or they may be self-employed.
- Architectural work is dependent on economic cycles and the level of construction activity.
- The Canadian government has announced the creation of the Pan-Canadian Framework for the Assessment and Recognition of Foreign Qualifications, which will allow foreign-trained Architects to have their credentials assessed more quickly. For further information please read our news story titled Canadian government announces faster credential recognition for immigrants.
Some areas of Canada where your occupation is in demand:
While there is a shortage of Architects across Canada, the following cities and provinces listed below have a particularly high demand for this occupation.
- A construction-driven economic boom in Saskatchewan is creating a serious labour shortage, particularly in the non-residential sector.
- This construction boom has created a high demand for architects.
- Employment prospects for architects are expected to be good in the 2010 to 2014 period.
- The number of architects working in Manitoba in 2010 is estimated at 355.
- In urban centres there is increasing activity in home renovations, new condominium developments, conversions of existing older industrial buildings to multi-use residence and commercial entities and construction of assisted living facilities for seniors, all contributing to the increased demand for architects.
- Green design is also a new growing field employing an increasing amount of architects.
- A proportionally larger share of jobs for architects are located in Winnipeg.
- Across industries, most work in the Professional, Scientific and Technical Services sector (85%), followed by Public Administration (10%) and Manufacturing (6%).
- Employment prospects are good in Winnipeg due to the level of industrial, commercial, office, retail and residential construction planned.
- Potential employers include but are not limited to: GBR Architects, GW Architecture Inc., LM Architecture Group, MCM Architects Inc., Neil Cooper Architect Inc., Northern Sky Architecture Inc., and Smith Carter Architects & Engineers Incorporated.
- Employment prospects are good throughout the province.
- As the population continues to age and baby boomers retire, there will be a strong demand for architects to help with the construction of institutions such as health care facilities and retirement and nursing homes.
- Due to increasing energy costs, more demand has been placed on sustainable designs which focus on energy efficiency.
- Individuals with experience and knowledge on how to build green buildings which utilise renewable resources, promote waste reduction and are environmentally friendly will have the best employment prospects.
- Job opportunities are expected to be good between 2010-2012, especially for the following regions: Montérégie, Montreal, Capitale-Nationale, and Outaouais.
Duties for Architects
Architects conceptualize, plan and develop designs for the construction and renovation of commercial, institutional and residential buildings. They are employed by architectural firms, private corporations and governments, or they may be self-employed.
Description of Main Duties:
- Consult with clients to determine type, style and purpose of renovations or new building construction being considered
- Conceptualize and design buildings and develop plans describing design specifications, building materials, costs and construction schedules
- Prepare sketches and models for clients
- Prepare or supervise the preparation of drawings, specifications and other construction documents for use by contractors and tradespersons
- Prepare bidding documents, participate in contract negotiations and award construction contracts
- Monitor activities on construction sites to ensure compliance with specifications
- Conduct feasibility studies and financial analyses of building projects.
- Architects may specialize in a particular type of construction such as residential, commercial, industrial or institutional.
Example job titles for Architects:
| || |
Find out about salary ranges for Senior Managers in different Canadian cities with our Canada Salary Calculator.
You can start looking for a job in Canada by using our Canada Job Search Tool.