+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

SG_VRAJ

Jun 19, 2020
Thanks for the reply and good advice. Are you considering notifying them in advance or letting the COPR lapse and pinging them when ready?
Following their latest direction, plan is to notify them only when ready (probably 6 months) and to provide evidence to the extent possible (eg. job offer, proposed itinerary, and reason for being ready to travel which will be linked to the job). Not planning to notify them in advance as that's no longer required.
Basically, the plan is to secure work before moving. It help answer questions around discretionary / non-discretionary travel and moving to settle and also make it easy to secure a lease and SIN once you land.

Reactions: Batina

Shahanastar

Oct 25, 2018
Category........
FSW
Following their latest direction, plan is to notify them only when ready (probably 6 months) and to provide evidence to the extent possible (eg. job offer, proposed itinerary, and reason for being ready to travel which will be linked to the job). Not planning to notify them in advance as that's no longer required.
Basically, the plan is to secure work before moving. It help answer questions around discretionary / non-discretionary travel and moving to settle and also make it easy to secure a lease and SIN once you land.
The chances of finding work prior to landing here are almost negligible.

Reactions: CountessO

whyCorona

Champion Member
Mar 17, 2020
Most of people are gonna search for job after landing. Giving them a proposed plan for employment should be okay. For supporting the case, one can provided resignation/relieving letter from employer in home country.

Shahanastar

Oct 25, 2018
Category........
FSW
Thanks for the information. Very helpful indeed !

I heard that currently Service Canada centers are only issuing SIN to those who have a job offer. The only way others can get a SIN is online as the SIN centers at the airport are also closed due to Covid. Is this true?
I'm not sure about the requirement of job offer but my understanding is that they are issuing SIN to newcomers. You can call and ask them once you've landed but most activities have generally resumed as part of Stage 3 reopening.
In case you have to apply online, Service Canada is apparently the most lenient when it comes to address proof. Few days back someone posted about successfully using their online grocery delivery receipt as proof of address to obtain a SIN.

Adam261

Star Member
Mar 17, 2020
Hello everyone,

I have a COPR valid till mid-September and flights to Toronto are available from my current city (Dubai). However, like many on this forum, I'm not keen on moving permanently yet (or even taking a flight for that matter) and IRCC has made their stance clear on 'soft-landings' clear (although how they plan on enforcing it is beyond me).

I will be ready to move permanently in six months. However, I'm unsure of what to do at present. Should I let it expire, wait for six months to let the world come to some semblance of order and then move permanently or risk the soft-landing. From testimonials of people who have been soft-landing, it seems like the immigration officers are not inquiring about this yet. Somebody bought it up that they can look at your travel records and create problems later, but that seems like a long shot since i'm sure they have better things to spend their time on.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
I have almost the same issue , I am in Doha though.

same like Dubai , it's a better place to stay now till things normalize , the issue is my COPR already expired in April 1st - i guess i still fall under exemptions, but i don't wanna move now in this current climate and job market.

in the same time , I am afraid that if i wait longer , they might close my file or something.

I am leaning towards soft landing , and although they clearly said you shouldn't do it - i think no one should prevent you from leaving the country at any point - it's your right to travel and you already gained permanent residency status at that point. even you can sue !!!

It's very confusing , people living in the gulf can relate.

Reactions: Batina

whyCorona

Champion Member
Mar 17, 2020

same like Dubai , it's a better place to stay now till things normalize , the issue is my COPR already expired in April 1st - i guess i still fall under exemptions, but i don't wanna move now in this current climate and job market.

in the same time , I am afraid that if i wait longer , they might close my file or something.

I am leaning towards soft landing , and although they clearly said you shouldn't do it - i think no one should prevent you from leaving the country at any point - it's your right to travel and you already gained permanent residency status at that point. even you can sue !!!

They made Quarantine Act. What if they make another Act which might go against the soft landers? They are changing the guidelines more often as situation evolves. Not trying to scare anyone but putting this upfront for discussion.

Reactions: Adam261

Batina

Jul 30, 2020

That's exactly it - an arbitrary rule change that can throw up a lot of headaches.

That being said, I have some faith in the Canadian government's sense of fairness. Most of you who went through the COPR journey and were on forums and whatsapp groups probably recollect the stress and questions and people calling hotlines when the application seemingly didn't move forward after months. People were emailing senators and many received polite responses to constant follow-ups and queries.

So hopefully, when the time for travel does arrive and you need to show additional documentation, they won't be too fussy about things. I empathize with people's thoughts on both sides of the debate on the issue of soft-landings. I'm leaning towards letting it expire, but let's see.

Reactions: Adam261

Adam261

Star Member
Mar 17, 2020
They made Quarantine Act. What if they make another Act which might go against the soft landers? They are changing the guidelines more often as situation evolves. Not trying to scare anyone but putting this upfront for discussion.
it's possible - may be.

johnsonjam

May 12, 2019
Hi just sharing my experience which took place 2 hours ago, I had a round trip ticket, and I was denied to board the plane cuz airline has to call CBSA for each foreign passengers. I am guess it’s the round trip ticket that caused the denial to board. I am rather annoyed, cuz yes soft landing is an option for me but I am also thinking to settle at the same time hence my ticket is an open year round ticket (considering it is also cheaper). The airline was asking if I have any lease agreement of job offer... which I don’t have and almost impossible to have while I have not landed.

Reactions: ankurgupta325

ta0505

Star Member
Nov 13, 2014
If we want to extend our COPR expiry date ( not expired yet, expiring Sep 26 ) what is the exact procedure to notify CIC. As per above posts looks like CIC is against doing soft landing so I believe there should be some process to notify them that you want extension so that they can send a new COPR with new expiry date.Anyone aware of exact CIC process, please share.

whyCorona

Champion Member
Mar 17, 2020
If we want to extend our COPR expiry date ( not expired yet, expiring Sep 26 ) what is the exact procedure to notify CIC. As per above posts looks like CIC is against doing soft landing so I believe there should be some process to notify them that you want extension so that they can send a new COPR with new expiry date.Anyone aware of exact CIC process, please share.
Raise webform seeking for extension and mention your reason for your inability to travel now.

kevglen61

Aug 1, 2020
Dear All,

Thankyou for your inputs and this seems to be a great threat to share experiences. I had my COPR expired on May 20th as was supposed to travel to Canada in April. However, the pandemic disrupted all the travel plans. I am currently working in Dubai and was planning to move to Canada by Feb end. Has anyone written to IRCC asking for an extension to be valid for 6 - 8 months with supporting documents from the company as in acknowledgement of notice period which is valid for 6 months or even without documents? I am unsure what to do at this point and do not prefer to leave to Canada with the family and kids during this period. Any inputs or advice would be appreciated.

Thankyou
Hello All,

I would appreciate some inputs here

kevglen61

Aug 1, 2020
Hello everyone,

I have a COPR valid till mid-September and flights to Toronto are available from my current city (Dubai). However, like many on this forum, I'm not keen on moving permanently yet (or even taking a flight for that matter) and IRCC has made their stance clear on 'soft-landings' clear (although how they plan on enforcing it is beyond me).

I will be ready to move permanently in six months. However, I'm unsure of what to do at present. Should I let it expire, wait for six months to let the world come to some semblance of order and then move permanently or risk the soft-landing. From testimonials of people who have been soft-landing, it seems like the immigration officers are not inquiring about this yet. Somebody bought it up that they can look at your travel records and create problems later, but that seems like a long shot since i'm sure they have better things to spend their time on.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
HI Batina,Im exactly in the same position. Please do share any updates or news thtat you may have