Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Passport Req..
23-09-2019
LANDED..........
04-07-2022
Hi all,

I'm an expired COPR holder (which was stamped prior 18th March). Is the news about Electrinuc Trave Authorization (ETA) applicable for passport holders of India as well? or indian passports have to send the passport to NVDO and get the visa stamped? In short, is there a round trip for passports (home to NVDO to home) as it causes delay.
Specifically,
  1. If my trip is essential (I'll show the documentary evidence along with quanrantine plan)
  2. Do the indian passport holders get :
    1. ETA? or
    2. do they require visa (and hence passports round trip to the visa office. )
Thanks!
I think IRCC has not made any communication specific about Indian passport way of dealing with copr extension yet. My guess it would be universal way to deal with copr extension either ETA or passport request.

Reactions: Stitha1234

tusa47

Mar 2, 2019
Category........
FSW
Doc's Request.
20-02-2019
would you please share IRCC number.

Thanks
Hello Titu!

You can call IRCC by using any of the below-calling apps:
- Sonetel
- TextNow
- Fongo

The IRCC number is: +1 888 242 2100

Please share your experience after, thanks!

ta0505

Star Member
Nov 13, 2014
Hi Guys,

My father COPR is expiring on Sep 26, 2020. He has medical condition and is undergoing prostate cancer treatment which CIC is aware of as his cancer was diagnosed during immigration medicals only. Due to his ongoing medication as immunity is compromised because of medicines we feel it is not at all safe to travel for sometime. I am planning to file COPR extension. May I know how long we can extend our travel before PR gets invalid, basically what's the maximum extension period for PR ? What will be the correct date for me to file extension after or before COPR expires?

Thanks in Advance.

whyCorona

Champion Member
Mar 17, 2020
Hi Guys,

My father COPR is expiring on Sep 26, 2020. He has medical condition and is undergoing prostate cancer treatment which CIC is aware of as his cancer was diagnosed during immigration medicals only. Due to his ongoing medication as immunity is compromised because of medicines we feel it is not at all safe to travel for sometime. I am planning to file COPR extension. May I know how long we can extend our travel before PR gets invalid, basically what's the maximum extension period for PR ? What will be the correct date for me to file extension after or before COPR expires?

Thanks in Advance.
You can raise the inability to travel webform now if you are sure that you dont want your father to travel. If you still have doubt then raise webform when you are 100% sure that travel is not happening for your father within current CoPR validity.

One extension has been granted in this thread from Vienna office. The new VISA expiry date is extended to Apr 2021. Here is the link:

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/copr-and-coronavirus.681880/page-493#post-8721898

benson9189

Star Member
Mar 16, 2020
Hey guys! I left Canada and went back to my home country after I received my CoPR in June 2020. So does anyone happen to know if Im exempt from travel restrictions? On the CoPR letter - it says I’m now a permanent resident of Canada.

Shahanastar

Oct 25, 2018
Category........
FSW
Hi Guys,

Thanks in Advance.
You can inform IRCC around a month before expiry of his COPR. However, extension process will only begin once you are ready to travel and have informed them accordingly. Best wishes to your father.

Shahanastar

Oct 25, 2018
Category........
FSW
Hey, could you please clarify this? Did you mean purchasing a SIM card online or in a physical store?

I don't know how it works in Canada, but in other countries (like UK) you buy a SIM card in the same way as you buy coke or fruit: you take from a shelf and go to the register. There is no way that the store/clerk could give you any address confirmation. So I am curious about Canada. The more details the better :)

Thanks!
In Canada you need to provide an address when buying a SIM. If you order online, you need to still call them and provide all your personal details including address in order to activate the SIM.
Best is to have someone buy a SIM for you providing your name and address. This is what I did. Otherwise just wait for your quarantine to be over, getting a SIN number as soon as you land isn't that necessary. Service Canada centres have started opening and you will be able to get a SIN number same day if you visit them post quarantine. Hope this helps

tortortor

Feb 1, 2020
In Canada you need to provide an address when buying a SIM. If you order online, you need to still call them and provide all your personal details including address in order to activate the SIM.
Best is to have someone buy a SIM for you providing your name and address. This is what I did. Otherwise just wait for your quarantine to be over, getting a SIN number as soon as you land isn't that necessary. Service Canada centres have started opening and you will be able to get a SIN number same day if you visit them post quarantine. Hope this helps
Thanks, this is SUPER useful! One question though: is the SIM card purchased as you described (by a friend in a store) already activated and ready to use? Or one still needs to go to some website and activate it (or recharge)? I am asking, because I may not have the Internet for some time after landing, and then online activation would be a problem.

KamilJad

Jul 25, 2020
It is not a crime to do soft landing and but IRCC and CBSA might have follow-up measures since they have your departure record. Even if you manage to do soft landing, you still need to go through a lengthy procedure of getting Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD) once you intent to go back to Canada.

All in all, you can do a soft landing to confirm your PR if you *really* have to. Otherwise I suggest you do the *right* thing for your own peace of mind and safety of others.
I am not sure what you meant by “lengthy procedure to get PRTD once you intent to go back to Canada”

What i understand is by the time i intend to go back to Canada “my PR card should have already been mailed to a canadian address which would have already mailed it to me”

R u implying that i can actually re-enter Canada by PRTD even if i have never actually received my issued PR?

Can a border officer insist on me receiving my PR by myself as an assurance that i am settling in Canada instead of mailing it to a Canadian address? And if this happens and i leave Canada without receiving my PR by myself, can i later renter Canada by a PRTD based on the fact that my status is permanent resident but i have not physically received the PR card ?

Finally, what do you mean by “ follow up measures since they have my departure record” ?
you mean a penalty for soft landing? Like what for example?

Thanks alot!

Last edited:
Reactions: Adam261

UsakaurB

Star Member
Feb 3, 2020
Hi All,
Did anyone got extension so far? Any estimate of how much in future IRCC intends to give the COPR validity?

bun_b

Oct 30, 2019
Hi and congratulations!

Could you please share more details on the SIM card you've purchased? I would like to do the same after my landing.

1. Where exactly did you purchase it? Was it a store or an automated kiosk? Are they open 24/7?
2. Which mobile provider?
3. What is the plan? How much data, how many minutes, etc?
4. How did you register/activate that card? Or did the store clerk do it for you?

Thanks!
Hello, it's the Chattr counter once you're out near the exit gates, next to all the cab counters. The network it shows as Rogers on my cell. It's supposed to be unlimited calling/sms to usa and canada .. I did not bother to check much as I know my usage won't exceed the limit. It is prepaid, don't remeber the data limit, it was activated immediately by the counter staff helping me. Its was 73$ in total including 55 for the plan and rest for activation charge and tax. The service is good ..I have made a few calls and it connects very well. The passport is enough for ID proof and if you don't have an address the store address can be given ..and you can update it later. I'm not sure if they're open 24x7, likely not. Hope that answers your questions..

Last edited:

Shahanastar

Oct 25, 2018
Category........
FSW
Thanks, this is SUPER useful! One question though: is the SIM card purchased as you described (by a friend in a store) already activated and ready to use? Or one still needs to go to some website and activate it (or recharge)? I am asking, because I may not have the Internet for some time after landing, and then online activation would be a problem.
SIM cards that are ordered online need to be activated online so you will need an Internet connection for that.

If someone can purchase a SIM card for you which can be done at any of the telecom providers retail store or even cell phone shops sell SIM cards, then they will activate it for you at the time of purchase and you can ask your friend to get a prepaid package purchased for you which is usually a combination of talk, text and data.

There are many new affordable providers now such as Freedom, FIDO and Chatr. Their packages are way cheaper than Bell or Roger when it comes to prepaid. Remember you will need a credit history to buy a post paid (billing) package.