+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CIC office in Edmonton-Alberta

jaycrew

Star Member
Apr 30, 2011
Erika and all.. I actually have some bad news. I just realized that my PR card expired in August. I will be travelling outside Canada in December, and I'm still waiting to hear back regarding my citizenship application.

I will be applying to renew my PR this week, does anyone have any tips on how to get this completed asap?

If I don't receive my new PR card in time, what are my options in returning to Canada with an expired PR card?

As always, thanks for your help.

E

erikag

CIC Edmonton has started scheduling tests for November! Good luck to everyone who is waiting for the test invitation letter!

E

erikag

There is someone on another forum whose test date was just scheduled for November. This is the first one I have seen since May ....

tigmag

Jul 22, 2008
Hi again,

Well finally some news. Got letter advising me of date to take Citizenship Test, set for 24 November (my Movember should be well grown by then :D) That "only" took 18 months from when I first applied. From this forum I now see that there is no Citizenship Judge for CIC office in Edmonton, and may have to wait even longer before being invited to take the oath. You can grow old waiting

E

erikag

Great news Tigmag!!!
Actually we have received a judge on October 29th.
You better find that book and start reading it! :)
Good luck!

tigmag said:
Hi again,

Well finally some news. Got letter advising me of date to take Citizenship Test, set for 24 November (my Movember should be well grown by then :D) That "only" took 18 months from when I first applied. From this forum I now see that there is no Citizenship Judge for CIC office in Edmonton, and may have to wait even longer before being invited to take the oath. You can grow old waiting

nwtspam

Star Member
Apr 20, 2012
Good luck at the test.

tigmag said:
Hi again,

tigmag

Jul 22, 2008
Thank you erikag,

I see that we have a Citizenship Judge now. Good!

I am interested in this comment you wrote in 60 above:

Did you know that the local office has 8 months to schedule the test after the date of transfer?
Is this a requirement that is legislated, or just something that the office strives to achieve? What happens in the event that the office does not schedule the test within that time? I never had "official" confirmation that my file was transferred to the local CIC office in Edmonton, the date of transfer was stated to me when I called the Call Centre, so in my case I can't be exactly sure when the 8 months was up.

E

erikag

I received this information from a Call Centre Agent. If your local office does not schedule the test within 8 months of the transfer, than the Call Centre agent can send a message to the local office requesting an update.

I received my GCMS notes a few weeks ago, and I found out that Call centre agents have sent 2 messages to my local office. It turned out that my file was in transit to the local office for about 5 months. My file got lost somewhere and if the agent had not sent a message to Edmonton, my file would probably be still lost ... By the way, when I talked to the agent she did not mention anything to me. She only said that the local office should confirm the date of transfer within one month (and they did).
In this case there was a positive outcome of the message.

The second time the agent asked an update why my test was not scheduled yet. The answer was that I am in a queue for test. Not much help here.

The only way to find out the date of transfer is either to call CIC or to get GCMS notes ...

jshahid

Star Member
May 23, 2012
I missed my date back in April 2012, as I got the letter late (after the exam date passed thanks to great Fort Mcmurray Postal service). Called agent last week and came to know that they don’t have enough staff to come to Fort Mcmurray, so we have to wait till they can get someone out here. It’s been almost 8 months now 
Does any one else from Fort Mcmurray got any update?

erikag said:
I received this information from a Call Centre Agent. If your local office does not schedule the test within 8 months of the transfer, than the Call Centre agent can send a message to the local office requesting an update.

I received my GCMS notes a few weeks ago, and I found out that Call centre agents have sent 2 messages to my local office. It turned out that my file was in transit to the local office for about 5 months. My file got lost somewhere and if the agent had not sent a message to Edmonton, my file would probably be still lost ... By the way, when I talked to the agent she did not mention anything to me. She only said that the local office should confirm the date of transfer within one month (and they did).
In this case there was a positive outcome of the message.

The second time the agent asked an update why my test was not scheduled yet. The answer was that I am in a queue for test. Not much help here.

The only way to find out the date of transfer is either to call CIC or to get GCMS notes ...

tigmag

Jul 22, 2008
Thanks for your very informative reply Erikag. The waiting is very frustrating, isn't it!

Well, after waiting 18 months, I finally got to write the test. It was very straightforward, and really a bit of a let down after waiting for so long. They checked my documents, made sure all my travel dates outside of Canada were recorded and accounted for, and all my documents were accurate. Then it was time to write the test, which even taking my time and re-reading each question 3 times still took less than 15 minutes to complete.

They informed us that if we passed, we'd be invited to a citizenship ceremony within 2 months, but if we didn't hear anything after 6 months we should assume that we hadn't passed. We should then call the Call Center and request an appointment with the Citizenship Judge, which they told us the earliest appointments are being taken for 2015! Unbelievable. I sure am hoping I passed!

Good luck to all in the system, and still waiting.

E

erikag

Tigmag, hopefully you will receive the oath invitation soon. Did anyone receive RQ? What can you tell about the percentage of people who received RQ's. There are rumors that there is more than 50% of the people receive RQ nowadays.
Good luck to you and keep us posted on your oath date.