+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CIC office in Edmonton-Alberta

jshahid

Star Member
May 23, 2012
edmonton2011 said:
I called the Call Centre at the beginning of October and the agent sent a message to the local office for the same reason: delay in sending out invitation for test. The only response they received was

Quote from my ATIP report: "Client is in a queue for testing. Applicants are scheduled by file# order."

Since than nothing has happened. Unfortunately it seems sending messages won't help. :(
thats what I thought will happen, CIC sucks at providing any good information just gerneirc information which helps no one.

edmonton2011

Star Member
Dec 7, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I hope Edmonton will get faster soon. The same thing happened in Calgary. They did not have a judge for a few months, everything has slowed down, but 8-10 months after getting a judge finally things started to move forward and they are getting faster again.

edmonton2011

Star Member
Dec 7, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Immigration townhall

http://lindaduncanmp.ca/event/immigration-townhall-with-jinny-sims/

Please attend if you can!

***********************************************************************************************

Kenny blames citizenship decline on 'fiscal restrain'
Updated
6:41 pm, January 16th, 2013
6:37 pm, January 16th, 2013

JESSICA HUME | QMI AGENCY
OTTAWA — Immigration Minister Jason Kenney explained a 73% drop in the number of permanent residents receiving Canadian citizenship between 2005 and 2012 by saying the government’s “fiscal restraint” was leading to fewer people having to process more applications.

Internal Citizenship and Immigration documents obtained by QMI Agency show only 2.9% of permanent residents who were eligible for citizenship in 2012 received it, down significantly from 76% in 2005.

“There are two reasons for that,” Kenney said. “Increased immigration levels above those under the previous government and an environment of fiscal restraint (means we have) less resources to process more permanent residents coming up for a limited number of spots.”

Kenney also said processing times had increased since 2005, but “only by about three months”.
Though he has been criticized for his policies, accused of making Canada less accessible to the weakest, Kenney said the government’s objectives in immigration are cracking down on fraud and crime while making it easier for skilled immigrants and students who have the greatest likelihood of contributing to society once they’re here.

“We put a greater emphasis on protecting the integrety of our immigration program,” he said. “There have been too many cases of fraudulent applications organized by crooked immigration agents.”

He added the government has an action plan to reduce processing times and streamline applications deemed desirable.

Kenney spoke to reporters upon arrival back in Canada after visiting Sri Lanka, several states in India as well as Turkey to discuss human smuggling, immigration fraud and refugees.

Source: http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews/politics/archives/2013/01/20130116-183722.html

wingedmonton

Oct 12, 2012
Hi guys, i m new to the forum. I hope someone can help me....

here is my timeline:

We received your application for Canadian citizenship (grant of citizenship) on October 6, 2011.

We sent you a letter acknowledging receipt of your application(s), and a study book called Discover Canada on October 6, 2011. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.

We started processing your application on January 21, 2012.

From previous calls to CIC, i was told that my background check is all done and my file was transferred to Edmonton on May 9, 2012, and that the local office has 9 months to schedule my test. Therefore i should receive my test invitiation very soon. However later i was told by other agents that my file was actually transferred in Aug 21, 2012 and i have to wait til May 2013 for my test invite. BUT today when i call again, the agent told me my background check has not been done, but my file was indeed trasnferred to edmonton in may. She said she doesnt know how long it would take to get the background check done, nor is there an expiry date.

i feel very helpless and frustrated not knowing whats actually going on with my application. is there anyone in the same situation as me? i've read that i could order notes from CIC regarding more info on my application. will it actually tell me if my background is complete or not, and when my file is transferred to edmonton? PLZ HELP!!!!

edmonton2011

Star Member
Dec 7, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

Our timeline is very similar. I can understand your frustration. First of all, there is a "rule" that the local office should send a test invitation within 9 months from the date of transfer. But if it does not happen the only thing the call centre agent can do is to send a message to the local office. In my case the Edmonton CIC office's reply was that I am in a queue for test and they invite applicants in file# order ... Not a big help!!!
About the background check: Your background checks were probably done within a couple of weeks from the date your status went into process, but it is valid for only one year. So they have to redo it!!! It was done once but they are probably redoing it now ....

Unfortunately we did not have a judge for a long time and the process slowed down a lot.

Here is my timeline:
Received application: Sep 1, 2011
In process: Jan 24, 2012
Transferred: Jul 24, 2012 (my file was lost for about 3-4 months, hence the late transfer)
Background checks will expire within a couple of weeks.
Still waiting for test invitation.

If you request ATIP report it will tell you the date of transfer, the date your background checks were completed and you may find a few other useful info.
For example I know the following from my report:
1) my file was in transit for 3 months before the call centre agent sent a message to the local CIC office - by the way she said nothing about this when I called!
2) the date when my background checks will expire
3) Note about the message that another call centre agent sent for an update on my file since it has been in process for such a long time.
Reply mentioned above.

I say go for it!

wingedmonton

Oct 12, 2012
Hi edmonton2011

Thank you for responding to my post!!!!!!!!! It was very helpful. I have a few questions i need your help with:
1. When they redo the background check would I have to wait another 9 months for the test invitation date?
2. With regard to the ATIP form, Section B #1, did you check the PROOF box and provide proof for being a PR?
3. With regard to the ATIP form, Section C #4, which option did you select? I leaning towards selecting 4C-Electronic File-citizenship file.
4. How long did it take you to get your file?

Thank you very much!

edmonton2011

Star Member
Dec 7, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1) I hope not!!!

2) When I applied last year, the form was a little different. We did not have this question ...
I think it is a good idea to provide proof of your status.

3) I requested 4C Citizenship file.
You can also try to request the physical files, BUT it might delay you application since they actually remove your file from the shelf, scan the whole package and mail it to you. Also I am not sure if you receive any additional information about the status of your application in case you request physical files.

4) Exactly 30 days

BTW, someone from Edmonton who mailed his/her application a couple of weeks after you did, has just had the test ...

wingedmonton

Oct 12, 2012
i called CIC today and asked about Q's 1, the guy told me after they finish my background check, they have 8 months to send out the test invitation. He told me to call back in 6 months to see if there will be updates...omg seriously this is ridiculous!!! i m feeling so dishearten right now...my application has been in process forever. is there really no way to speed up the process???? :'(

edmonton2011

Star Member
Dec 7, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
That does not sound good. :(
You are not alone! When we applied I thought we would be citizens within a year. 17 months have passed since we applied and we have not even had the test yet.

jshahid

Star Member
May 23, 2012
I have given up on them. I have a better chance of going to Pakistan, talking Talibans into leaving the world alone in peace then speeding up this process.

:mad:

edmonton2011 said:
That does not sound good. :(
You are not alone! When we applied I thought we would be citizens within a year. 17 months have passed since we applied and we have not even had the test yet.

jaycrew

Star Member
Apr 30, 2011
I'm still waiting too guys, my application was transferred to Edmonton CIC on Jan 27, 2012 and I have not heard back yet.

I don't know what to do anymore

wingedmonton

Oct 12, 2012
GOOD NEWS GUYS!!! i recieved my invite today for test on feb 20th @ 9! i m head over heels jumping for joy :D
it totally caught me by surprise, so guys dont give up i hope to see some of you guys there! Fighting!!!