+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-6: Senate stage

Coffee1981

Star Member
Jun 29, 2016
Apparently the Hassuna (Monla) Federal Court decision will be published this morning. This will have a huge impact on the amendments to C-6.

2_of_5

Aug 16, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-06-2012
LANDED..........
27-06-2013
I think I'm approaching the point where C-6's passage will actually mean I have to wait longer to get my citizenship.

See, I'm one year away from applying and the coming-into-effect clause will probably be one year, so I won't benefit from reduced residency + by the time I'm good to go, I'll be applying along with a deluge of other applicants who are suddenly now eligible. All these applications will likely clog the system and send processing times rocketing back to 1-2 years...so really, I don't benefit in any way from C-6 lol...anyone else in the same boat?

I think unless you very recently became a PR, this bill will likely not help you or, if you're at the cusp of applying, will probably make you wait much longer than if it didn't exist. I'm saying this because I feel there are people here not realizing that C-6 won't save them any time, not to rub it in...I sympathize with everyone here.

That said, I'm glad they're taking out the intent-to-reside clause from C-24. That's a benefit for all of us.
Same here. I was 2 to 3 weeks away from being able to apply when C-24 went into effect. Landed end of June 2013, moved to Canada on a work permit in mid-2010. Instead of applying in July 2015, it was pushed out to July 2017, plus time out of the country. I was >>>this<<< close. :mad:

I've completed my physical presence calculation and am finally eligible this September 9, barring any other trips out of Canada. The last thing I want is to have this go into effect right before I'm eligible, creating a huge backlog. Especially after having it snatched away from me at the last second two years prior.

Tgum23

Star Member
May 10, 2017
Called local MP office and they told there is no chance C6 implemented before 2018. Late 2018 is a good chance.

She said C6 is not priority and government is under pressure to pass other bills first.

Seems like more weed smokers are calling MPs and ministers for their bills, while people here just come to this forum and talk.

Quasar- Thanks for your efforts!!

Guys, call your MP, email Minister and PM Trudeau to implement C6. Nothing moves until MPs and Minister feel the need/pressure from people.

If your MP is conservative, no need to call. Just email Minister Hussen and PM Trudeau.
Hey this is real? Because I had one of my neighbours call the local Mississauga mp. He said they were working on it and it's top priority. Lol

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Hey this is real? Because I had one of my neighbours call the local Mississauga mp. He said they were working on it and it's top priority. Lol
This is exactly what I was talking about earlier: Don't take comments by local MP offices too seriously. You can't reasonably expect them to know the ins and outs regarding a single bill. The fact that two MP offices have given completely opposite info confirms that.

Again: Whoever you ask right now for reliable information on this bill, you will not get one. Because the people are
- either not in charge/not directly involved, like most MPs and particularly their office staff and give vague or incorrect info,
- or in charge but then they will not release any info until it is official, i.e. after decisions have been made. And as soon as they have info they will release it without you having to ask.

I know it is hard to accept this: But you will not, in any way, get reliable info right now regarding the bill. You have to wait until it shows up on the Order Paper or until there is a press release by the Minister. They will not give you that information earlier just because you ask. You will only get useless statements. Accept that.

Tgum23

Star Member
May 10, 2017
This is exactly what I was talking about earlier: Don't take comments by local MP offices too seriously. You can't reasonably expect them to know the ins and outs regarding a single bill. The fact that two MP offices have given completely opposite info confirms that.

Again: Whoever you ask right now for reliable information on this bill, you will not get one. Because the people are
- either not in charge/not directly involved, like most MPs and particularly their office staff and give vague or incorrect info,
- or in charge but then they will not release any info until it is official, i.e. after decisions have been made. And as soon as they have info they will release it without you having to ask.

I know it is hard to accept this: But you will not, in any way, get reliable info right now regarding the bill. You have to wait until it shows up on the Order Paper or until there is a press release by the Minister. They will not give you that information earlier just because you ask. You will only get useless statements. Accept that.
Yeah bro. Agree. I'm more concerned with the bill coming into effect,because I can apply in 3 weeks. So didn't want the system to get overloaded.
Then again, I've read your previous threads about c6 not disrupting the process to wait times like earlier. I agree with that. Might increase by a couple of months in processing time at the latest

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
C4 should give us a good understanding of the timeline for C6 in the HoC, especially if they return the bill back to SoC rejecting the amendments.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
But i found this in Orders of the Day
C-6 — May 4, 2017 — The Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship — Consideration of the amendments made by the Senate to Bill C-6, An Act to amend the Citizenship Act and to make consequential amendments to another Act.
Doesn't this mean that consideration on amendments have started?
I'm sorry to disappoint. But this just means that the Senate vote of last Wednesday made it through bureaucracy and now is officially back before the House of Commons. This is just a formal step which took some days of paperwork. It does neither confirm nor deny that anything will happen soon. It simply means that from now on, any MP could file a motion to accept or reject the amendments. Note the important difference in the order paper: For C-6 it only lists the fact that the Senate sent a message, nothing more. Whereas for C-4 it also lists a "Text of motion".

So again, this entry in the order paper simply is written proof that the Senate sent the bill back to the HoC and it arrived there. Not a single HoC member had to move a finger for this to happen, its a completely bureaucratic step that would have happened exactly like this no matter what, simply because the Senate sent it back.

So it only means that they could start considering amendments if they wanted to. It doesn't mean that they will.

asifmehmood

May 28, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 2008
Doc's Request.
Aug 2012
IELTS Request
Submitted with docs
File Transfer...
April 2011
Med's Request
Nov 2012
Med's Done....
Dec 2012
Passport Req..
31/01/13, received at LVO 04/02/13
VISA ISSUED...
25/02/13
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
I'm sorry to disappoint. But this just means that the Senate vote of last Wednesday made it through bureaucracy and now is officially back before the House of Commons. This is just a formal step which took some days of paperwork. It does neither confirm nor deny that anything will happen soon. It simply means that from now on, any MP could file a motion to accept or reject the amendments. Note the important difference in the order paper: For C-6 it only lists the fact that the Senate sent a message, nothing more. Whereas for C-4 it also lists a "Text of motion".

So again, this entry in the order paper simply is written proof that the Senate sent the bill back to the HoC and it arrived there. Not a single HoC member had to move a finger for this to happen, its a completely bureaucratic step that would have happened exactly like this no matter what, simply because the Senate sent it back.

So it only means that they could start considering amendments if they wanted to. It doesn't mean that they will.

Now What? http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/federal-court-citizenship-act-1.4108346
any effect on amendments in HoC?