+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-6: Senate stage

marcher

Mar 30, 2016
In an attempt to not overload other threads with irrelevant discussions, I am creating this thread to solely focus on Bill C-6 progress within the Senate. I will start by stating that there is a Senate sitting today (November 17th) from 1:30 PM to 5:30 PM EST. If you want to listen to it the link is:

http://senparlvu.parl.gc.ca/XRender/en/PowerBrowser/PowerBrowserV2/20161117/-1/6292

The chances that C-6 will be discussed are highly unlikely; I assume everyone is waiting for Omdivar's suggested amendments. But it may be worth listening just in case.

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Re: Bill C-6 Senate stage

marcher said:
In an attempt to not overload other threads with irrelevant discussions, I am creating this thread to solely focus on Bill C-6 progress within the Senate. I will start by stating that there is a Senate sitting today (November 17th) from 1:30 PM to 5:30 PM EST. If you want to listen to it the link is:

http://senparlvu.parl.gc.ca/XRender/en/PowerBrowser/PowerBrowserV2/20161117/-1/6292

The chances that C-6 will be discussed are highly unlikely; I assume everyone is waiting for Omdivar's suggested amendments. But it may be worth listening just in case.
I think they will just put a permanent 'skip' to this bill...

marcher

Mar 30, 2016

itsmyid said:
I think they will just put a permanent 'skip' to this bill...
It depends, the impression I have is the Senator who is leading this discussion is Omidvar, and she stated that she talked to Minister McCallum and he is open to amendments. My understanding is that she may be involved in these amendments, and that until she brings back this subject to the table, then the others won't. Amendments take time, especially when they are on a bill that most if not all Senators do not consider a priority. I do wonder if they have a maximum time limit of delaying this process though until they have to either accept or deny it all together.

spiritsoul

Jan 9, 2013
Mississauga
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
28-03-2011
AOR Received.
02-05-2011
File Transfer...
02-05-2011
Med's Request
25-11-2012
Med's Done....
17-01-2013
Interview........
Nil
Passport Req..
18-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
11-03-2013
LANDED..........
16-06-2013
marcher said:

The amendment of Senator Omidvar should take place at the Committee, therefore, Omidvar should be eager to push for passing the bill into the committee. However, the committee remains dominated by Conservatives; that's why Omidvar or any supporter to the bill might wait / prefer to wait till the combination of the committe is dominated by Independent Senators which won't happen before the final patch of 7 new Senators swear in.

subha_1962

Dec 20, 2013
Great idea Marcher to start this new thread. Hope it will remain relevant to the thread as the others did not and now one has been deleted.

spiritsoul

Jan 9, 2013
Mississauga
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
28-03-2011
AOR Received.
02-05-2011
File Transfer...
02-05-2011
Med's Request
25-11-2012
Med's Done....
17-01-2013
Interview........
Nil
Passport Req..
18-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
11-03-2013
LANDED..........
16-06-2013
subha_1962 said:
Great idea Marcher to start this new thread. Hope it will remain relevant to the thread as the others did not and now one has been deleted.
I agree with you Subha_1962.

GOOD JOB marcher.

marcher

Mar 30, 2016
spiritsoul said:
The amendment of Senator Omidvar should take place at the Committee, therefore, Omidvar should be eager to push for passing the bill into the committee. However, the committee remains dominated by Conservatives; that's why Omidvar or any supporter to the bill might wait / prefer to wait till the combination of the committe is dominated by Independent Senators which won't happen before the final patch of 7 new Senators swear in.
Any idea when the last 7 Senators will be sworn in?

marcher

Mar 30, 2016
subha_1962 said:
Thanks subha_1962 and spiritsoul , I was thinking the silver lining in this delay and complications is that for those of us who are closely monitoring the advancement of the bill, we will easily answer any question about the Senate and Canadian government structure in the citizenship test :).

tyl92

Apr 1, 2013
marcher said:
Thanks subha_1962 and spiritsoul , I was thinking the silver lining in this delay and complications is that for those of us who are closely monitoring the advancement of the bill, we will easily answer any question about the Senate and Canadian government structure in the citizenship test :).
Lol +1

spiritsoul

Jan 9, 2013
Mississauga
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
28-03-2011
AOR Received.
02-05-2011
File Transfer...
02-05-2011
Med's Request
25-11-2012
Med's Done....
17-01-2013
Interview........
Nil
Passport Req..
18-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
11-03-2013
LANDED..........
16-06-2013
marcher said:
Any idea when the last 7 Senators will be sworn in?
Should be anytime before the end of November.

spiritsoul

Jan 9, 2013
Mississauga
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
28-03-2011
AOR Received.
02-05-2011
File Transfer...
02-05-2011
Med's Request
25-11-2012
Med's Done....
17-01-2013
Interview........
Nil
Passport Req..
18-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
11-03-2013
LANDED..........
16-06-2013
marcher said:
This is an extra experience added to ours I believe.

canadasucks

Star Member
Jun 17, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
spiritsoul said:
Committee members have nothing to do with new Senators. New Senators can only fill the Committee when current Committee members resign or leave or give up their positions.

spiritsoul

Jan 9, 2013
Mississauga
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
28-03-2011
AOR Received.
02-05-2011
File Transfer...
02-05-2011
Med's Request
25-11-2012
Med's Done....
17-01-2013
Interview........
Nil
Passport Req..
18-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
11-03-2013
LANDED..........
16-06-2013
canadasucks said:
Committee members have nothing to do with new Senators. New Senators can only fill the Committee when current Committee members resign or leave or give up their positions.
Currently the Conservatives are dominant so, they have the right to chair the committees, this is one. Another one, the Cons. and Lib. Senators holding the majority of the positions at the committees are very reluctant to leave their spots; this is the biggest problem now at the Senate, there is a huge noise now about that.

If this is not solved soon, the option for JT is to prorogue the both Parliaments and rule without them till the problem is solved. This was declared by Sen. Harder, you can Google this issue and read more about it if you are interested.

canadasucks

Star Member
Jun 17, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

marcher said:
It depends, the impression I have is the Senator who is leading this discussion is Omidvar, and she stated that she talked to Minister McCallum and he is open to amendments.
"Open to amendments"? Typical hypocrisy! He said the same in HoC many months ago and look what happened? The same amendment proposed by NDP MP Jenny Kwan was rejected because it was "out of scope". They must have so regretted as they now suddenly desperately need the amendment to save their own minister but have no majority in the Senate Committee. If they were truly open to amendments in HoC, the bill would not be stucked as it is right now.

I guess the only way can let them to realize the importance of the bill is that McCallum's own family members are impacted by C-24.

marcher

Mar 30, 2016

canadasucks said:
"Open to amendments"? Typical hypocrisy! He said the same in HoC many months ago and look what happened? The same amendment proposed by NDP MP Jenny Kwan was rejected because it was "out of scope". They must have so regretted as they now suddenly desperately need the amendment to save their own minister but have no majority in the Senate Committee. If they were truly open to amendments in HoC, the bill would not be stucked as it is right now.

I guess the only way can let them to realize the importance of the bill is that McCallum's own family members are impacted by C-24.
One does wonder if a system like Canada's really needs the Senate. The original British concept of having a House of Lords hosting honorable high class members, who volunteer to sit to ensure the decisions made are the right ones for the good of the country, that whole idea changed now. A Senator's position became a career position with good salary and more than ideal pension; and all Senators seem to have belonged to the middle class at some point in their lives. I am just trying to get my head around what does the Senate add that the House of Commons lacks. At least MPs are in their positions because they were elected by their constituents.

I would like to see the Senators elected by the people rather than arbitrarily appointed by someone.