+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-6: Senate stage

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
I do not want to hurt anyone's feeling or efforts which they are making to get the Bill C-6 Passed.
But I have a simple question to all the people who are impatiently waiting for Bill C-6 to pass. What is that you will be able to do as a resident of Canada after becoming a citizen that you cannot do as a PR?

Why are we so impatiently waiting to become a citizen and cannot wait for a few extra years which are part of the citizenship act.

TBH it is like a DAD takes his teenage son to a fancy car showroom and says I will get you this car in 5 years and later he gets a promotion and the son has a hope that he might get it earlier because his father makes more money now.

Just have patience people things take their due course of time and everyone feels their issues should be on priority.

NO PUN intended.
Every once a while someone would come up with this same question...
If you don't live other people's lives how would you know the significance of this to them?
Each individual has a different situation, and to some it may not matter at all but to others it would matter a lot

Imagine the reaction you would get if you ask a bus rider why he would take the bus instead of walking

Whocares

Sep 20, 2010
Sometimes it is good for people to release what is inside, it is a psychological response to release stress. So do not take whatever you hear/read seriously.

hfinkel

Feb 23, 2012
LANDED..........
20-07-2014
That's right, C6 is not priority to Canadians. Why should it be?
That seems a bit short-sighted. If the recent stat published it the press is true, that 50% of Canadians will be first generation immigrants by 2036, then such immigration policy will matter to a higher percentage of Canadians by then. If the Cons are viewed as opposed to progressive immigration policy then they will only erode their support base.

kirtivsingh

Dec 13, 2011
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
04-02-2016
Med's Done....
12-02-2016
Passport Req..
03-08-2016
VISA ISSUED...
08-08-2016
LANDED..........
21-08-2016
You assume everyone is in the same boat..... and we're not. So don't make assumptions for everyone else. As an example - we have been living in Canada for over 6 years - originally from South Africa - and in the past 6 years, we have spent over $2000 just on renewing our SA passports from here in Canada (a large chuck of the cost going towards paying a Notary Public to verify stacks of documents). We have spent over $8000 just on Visas for travel to USA, UK and Europe....

So not having a Canadian passport has cost us North of $10000..... Other people will have other reasons for being in a rush....
Seriously is that your reasoning for the government to fast track C-6 because some people want to roam the world and do not want to spend money on visas. I have no argument over this.

kirtivsingh

Dec 13, 2011
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
04-02-2016
Med's Done....
12-02-2016
Passport Req..
03-08-2016
VISA ISSUED...
08-08-2016
LANDED..........
21-08-2016
Every once a while someone would come up with this same question...
If you don't live other people's lives how would you know the significance of this to them?
Each individual has a different situation, and to some it may not matter at all but to others it would matter a lot

Imagine the reaction you would get if you ask a bus rider why he would take the bus instead of walking
That is completely wrong analogy. this ex will work for people who want to come for refugee to canada and we ask them why?
This is a scenario of luxury. you already have PR, the only few things Canadian citizenship provides is right to vote, buy agricultural land and visa on arrival for most countries.

So if I had to fit an example for that - it would be I have an acura and I need a BMW. how does that matter its a luxy not an necessity.

PR people can work in Canada, live in canada and do everything like a citizen.

i do not understand the fuss about 4/6 and 3/5. yes it would be better if you guys can see my timeline it will help me as well. But I am not getting restless and demanding it to be done today.

Some call MP that is thr call but atleast do not call on people who are not because it is not a big deal for them.

ALM123

Nov 27, 2011
I do not want to hurt anyone's feeling or efforts which they are making to get the Bill C-6 Passed.
But I have a simple question to all the people who are impatiently waiting for Bill C-6 to pass. What is that you will be able to do as a resident of Canada after becoming a citizen that you cannot do as a PR?

Why are we so impatiently waiting to become a citizen and cannot wait for a few extra years which are part of the citizenship act.

TBH it is like a DAD takes his teenage son to a fancy car showroom and says I will get you this car in 5 years and later he gets a promotion and the son has a hope that he might get it earlier because his father makes more money now.

Just have patience people things take their due course of time and everyone feels their issues should be on priority.

NO PUN intended.
1. It affects my travelling to states as I require visa for my work trips.
2. I have to apply for visas for different countries each time I travel, I will have freedom to travel. visit friends and family abroad without visa hassle (cost and time)
3. My employer prefers sending Canadian citizens overseas rather than me for immigration reasons
4. It is a milestone for a lot of people, I have been in canada for over 7 years now. and still waiting for eligibility. which as per current law will be in february 2018 + 6 months (approx vacation time i have taken since i became permanent resident)

Redfield

Mar 9, 2017
Makes me wanna hit my face with my keyboard when I read the Nostradamus posts about how the Bill will be implemented in 2032 right before the 7th reelection of Justin Trudeau.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Seriously is that your reasoning for the government to fast track C-6 because some people want to roam the world and do not want to spend money on visas. I have no argument over this.
The person you are quoting replied to the effect acquiring citizenship will have on his/her life, so they answered. Why do you have to twist it like that? Maybe take your frustration out on someone else than on a forum member who simply answered a question.

Joshua1

Nov 18, 2013
That seems a bit short-sighted. If the recent stat published it the press is true, that 50% of Canadians will be first generation immigrants by 2036, then such immigration policy will matter to a higher percentage of Canadians by then. If the Cons are viewed as opposed to progressive immigration policy then they will only erode their support base.
You're taking my comment out of context. Yes, context is everything.

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
That is completely wrong analogy. this ex will work for people who want to come for refugee to canada and we ask them why?
This is a scenario of luxury. you already have PR, the only few things Canadian citizenship provides is right to vote, buy agricultural land and visa on arrival for most countries.

So if I had to fit an example for that - it would be I have an acura and I need a BMW. how does that matter its a luxy not an necessity.

i do not understand the fuss about 4/6 and 3/5. yes it would be better if you guys can see my timeline it will help me as well. But I am not getting restless and demanding it to be done today.

Some call MP that is thr call but atleast do not call on people who are not because it is not a big deal for them.
Again, you don't live those people's lives, how can you be sure it doesn't matter? Personally it doesn't affect my life much either way, but there are people who want to get government jobs, who may take time to take care of sick family members in their home countries for extended period of time ( and if it took more than 2 years they may even lose their PR), and people who need to travel globally for work.. just to name a few. Just because it doesn't affect you does not mean it doesn't affect other people in some significant ways. I don't take public transportation so I couldn't care less about any new subway/bus routes, but I don't ask people why they complain about the lack of transportation, since it's obvious many people depend on it

and you keep saying 'I don't understand why people want it fast' - well, you really don't need to understand and what people want is none of your business anyway, unless by you understanding it something would happen magically and profoundly change everybody's life, then by all means, people will encourage and help you to understand it

Last edited:
Reactions: zm7

alternatehero

Jul 1, 2015
Hold on. Wouldn't it make sense for Liberals to implement this before the next election so that they can get a few votes from grateful new citizens?

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015

Oh, we have another iteration of "immigrant calling another immigrant entitled". Must have been at least a week since this last happened.

Also, according to your timeline you became a PR about eight months ago. Which of course makes you very qualified to talk about the issues that PRs face over citizens. I recently got turned down on a job opportunity. They were specifying that the reason I won't get the job is that I don't have citizenship.

If you are so annoyed by people wanting this bill to pass, maybe just ignore this thread whose sole purpose is to track the progress of this bill instead of trolling around?!

Seriously, sometimes.

Reactions: Whocares

Joshua1

Nov 18, 2013
Oh, we have another iteration of "immigrant calling another immigrant entitled". Must have been at least a week since this last happened.

Also, according to your timeline you became a PR about eight months ago. Which of course makes you very qualified to talk about the issues that PRs face over citizens. I recently got turned down on a job opportunity. They were specifying that the reason I won't get the job is that I don't have citizenship.

If you are so annoyed by people wanting this bill to pass, maybe just ignore this thread whose sole purpose is to track the progress of this bill instead of trolling around?!

Seriously, sometimes.

You are right. He cannot identify with most people here.

RanRan

Star Member
Mar 9, 2017

Seriously, sometimes.
1. It affects my travelling to states as I require visa for my work trips.
2. I have to apply for visas for different countries each time I travel, I will have freedom to travel. visit friends and family abroad without visa hassle (cost and time)
3. My employer prefers sending Canadian citizens overseas rather than me for immigration reasons
4. It is a milestone for a lot of people, I have been in canada for over 7 years now. and still waiting for eligibility. which as per current law will be in february 2018 + 6 months (approx vacation time i have taken since i became permanent resident)

Agree- we are not equal in real life unless we are citizens- Jobs, travel, politics everything.