spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
margobear96 said:
Does anyone remember how long it took for the 4/6 rule to be implemented after C-24 received royal assent? Was there a period when CIC wasn't receiving applications at all while they were updating their forms and physical presence calculator?

To be honest, I landed just before the previous rule change and only started looking into this stuff again a few days ago (4th anniversary of my landing date). Super annoying. I'm sure this is not a popular opinion...but what the ever loving f * * k. I don't care what party is in power, I wish they'd just stop messing with the rule. (4/6 is hardly draconian -- it's similar to the US rule for naturalization.) It looks like they just recently got the application processing time down to something reasonable...now they're just going to blow it to hell again. 2+ years processing times suck. I've been stuck in 2+ years processing times before (different matter)...and they lost of my application, but I had no way of finding out until after 2 years was up. Hopefully the House of Commons dawdles for a few months, and I can squeak in under 4/6 before the massive pile of applications under 3/5 redux hits Sydney. Sigh.
I assume you moved to Canada just when you became a PR. That's why you think 4/6 is hardly draconian. It actually is, particularly since it gives zero pre-PR credit. There are people who've been living in Canada for six years, then got PR, then they are supposed to wait another four years before they can apply for citizenship. In the US and in most other countries (especially the European countries), you get full credit for time lived in the country before having permanent status. This is a very very important difference and you must read citizenship rules in that light.

Also, it is a completely wrong assumption to think that the switch from 3/4 to 4/6 was the reason for the processing times going down. The major reason is that C-24 did a complete overhaul of the application processing method by removing several stages. That is the major reason why the processing times went down. And they will most likely stay down. Maybe they'll go up by 2 months or so due to a bit more traffic, but they will not go back to pre-C24 levels simply because C-6 leaves the new processing method in place which is much much more streamlined than the old process was.

hangincanada

Star Member
Oct 6, 2016
the implementation will take time and process. not to mention, it is still being debated in the house.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/acts-regulations/forward-regulatory-plan/citizenship-act.asp

hfinkel

Feb 23, 2012
LANDED..........
20-07-2014
margobear96 said:
Thanks! So last time, a month to take effect after assent and no down time.
Googling back into 2015, I saw a few different effective dates for C-24 but now I see a page on cic.gc.ca that cites an effective date of 2015-06-11, so about a year after ascent.

That was when the rush occurred to get a citizenship application submitted by those who qualified during that year under 3/5 before C-24 came into effect occurred.

Indiacan

Star Member
Jun 5, 2015
Hi Experts

Please advise for C-6, just confused...

Applied in December under 6/4 rule, still it's in the process, what would be the implications for us as a family ? whether it's processed fast or takes more time ?

Thanks

MarceauBletard

Aug 12, 2016
Montréal, Québec
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
Montréal, Québec
LANDED..........
18-05-2011 WHP
Redfield said:
His hat. People don't understand that C-24 changed the whole process of granting citizenship, it's not just because of the 4/6 that delays dropped to about 6 months, it's because the process has been significantly streamlined. Also CIC will not wait a year to apply C-6 especially after all the delays the Bill has faced in Senate.
I think you're right.
And I hope you're right.

Coffee1981

Star Member
Jun 29, 2016
http://www.nationalpost.com/m/wp/news/canada/canadian-politics/blog.html?b=news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/canadian-politics/trudeau-liberals-have-only-passed-17-government-bills-since-coming-into-power

An interesting read.

TRUECANADAIN

May 7, 2017
The email address of the immigration minster Mr Ahmed D. Hussen mentioned on his website is "Ahmed.Hussen@parl.gc.ca". Each of us should send him email asking him to expedite his response to bill and cc the email to our local MP as well. MPs should be know that people are keenly awaiting the passing of the bill. We should ask the Minister that once the bill is passed then he should try to implement bill asap.

quasar81

Feb 27, 2014
TRUECANADAIN said:
The email address of the immigration minster Mr Ahmed D. Hussen mentioned on his website is "Ahmed.Hussen@parl.gc.ca". Each of us should send him email asking him to expedite his response to bill and cc the email to our local MP as well. MPs should be know that people are keenly awaiting the passing of the bill. We should ask the Minister that once the bill is passed then he should try to implement bill asap.
It is just unbelievable that folks here say their email to MPs is of no use. It was clearly mentioned by other poster that MP staff tally the count of calls/emails of an issue and pass those to MP as priority.

C-6 is at risk of being delayed again in Senate-HoC back forth, and it can be prevented if lot of people here contact(email/phone) Minister Hussein and MP to prioritize C-6 passage in HoC and implement.

RanRan

Star Member
Mar 9, 2017
Coffee1981 said:
http://www.nationalpost.com/m/wp/news/canada/canadian-politics/blog.html?b=news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/canadian-politics/trudeau-liberals-have-only-passed-17-government-bills-since-coming-into-power

An interesting read.
That's says a lot about government intentions. How many executive orders and bills have passed in the 100 days south to the borders?

hfinkel

Feb 23, 2012
LANDED..........
20-07-2014
quasar81 said:
It is just unbelievable that folks here say their email to MPs is of no use. It was clearly mentioned by other poster that MP staff tally the count of calls/emails of an issue and pass those to MP as priority.

C-6 is at risk of being delayed again in Senate-HoC back forth, and it can be prevented if lot of people here contact(email/phone) Minister Hussein and MP to prioritize C-6 passage in HoC and implement.
++++++1!!!!

Shmak2017

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
ND
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-08-2016
AOR Received.
2016/09/26
File Transfer...
SA 2016/09/30 & AOR2 on 2016/10/11
Med's Done....
12-08-2016
Interview........
BG IN PROGRESS 30-March-2017 DM :31-March 2017
Passport Req..
10 April 2017

hfinkel

Feb 23, 2012
LANDED..........
20-07-2014
In calculating the number of days present in Canada to qualify to apply for citizenship under the 3/5 rule, is it correct that one can only count the number of days (for half credit) prior to landing but only within in the five year period prior to the filing date of the application?

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
hfinkel said:
In calculating the number of days present in Canada to qualify to apply for citizenship under the 3/5 rule, is it correct that one can only count the number of days (for half credit) prior to landing but only within in the five year period prior to the filing date of the application?
yes

mats

Nov 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-01-2011
AOR Received.
18-03-2011
Med's Done....
18-03-2012
Passport Req..
Sent 19-03-2012
VISA ISSUED...
30-Mar-2012
LANDED..........
12-July-2012
If someone can post details of whom to send and to include then I could send mail/email for expediting bill c-6

quasar81

Feb 27, 2014
mats said:
If someone can post details of whom to send and to include then I could send mail/email for expediting bill c-6
Hon. Minister Hussen, PM, MPs

Email: Ahmed.Hussen@parl.gc.ca
CC: Bardish.Chagger@parl.gc.ca , justin.trudeau@parl.gc.ca Also, google out your local MP and CC him/her too.

Clearly mention that ball is in House of Commons(Liberal) court now and Liberals should pass/implement this long delayed election promise ASAP.

Reactions: Mike053