+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-6: Senate stage

RanRan

Star Member
Mar 9, 2017
Oh, we have another iteration of "immigrant calling another immigrant entitled". Must have been at least a week since this last happened.

Also, according to your timeline you became a PR about eight months ago. Which of course makes you very qualified to talk about the issues that PRs face over citizens. I recently got turned down on a job opportunity. They were specifying that the reason I won't get the job is that I don't have citizenship.

If you are so annoyed by people wanting this bill to pass, maybe just ignore this thread whose sole purpose is to track the progress of this bill instead of trolling around?!

Seriously, sometimes.

robw

Mar 10, 2014
I think I'm approaching the point where C-6's passage will actually mean I have to wait longer to get my citizenship.

See, I'm one year away from applying and the coming-into-effect clause will probably be one year, so I won't benefit from reduced residency + by the time I'm good to go, I'll be applying along with a deluge of other applicants who are suddenly now eligible. All these applications will likely clog the system and send processing times rocketing back to 1-2 years...so really, I don't benefit in any way from C-6 lol...anyone else in the same boat?

I think unless you very recently became a PR, this bill will likely not help you or, if you're at the cusp of applying, will probably make you wait much longer than if it didn't exist. I'm saying this because I feel there are people here not realizing that C-6 won't save them any time, not to rub it in...I sympathize with everyone here.

That said, I'm glad they're taking out the intent-to-reside clause from C-24. That's a benefit for all of us.

walktheline

Star Member
Oct 28, 2016
That said, I'm glad they're taking out the intent-to-reside clause from C-24. That's a benefit for all of us.
Intent-to-reside in C-24 is merely symbolic and does not have any enforce power. So removing it does not make much difference. You still need to fulfill PR obligation during the whole process. For example, if the process time is back to 3 years again, you still need to fulfill PR obligation until you take oath. You cannot just submit the application then leave even if intent-to-reside is removed. But after taking oath, you can leave forever as soon as you like, even with intent-to-reside right now.

robw

Mar 10, 2014
Intent-to-reside in C-24 is merely symbolic and does not have any enforce power. So removing it does not make much difference. You still need to fulfill PR obligation during the whole process. For example, if the process time is back to 3 years again, you still need to fulfill PR obligation until you take oath. You cannot just submit the application then leave even if intent-to-reside is removed. But after taking oath, you can leave forever as soon as you like, even with intent-to-reside right now.

But still, the very presence of this clause is concerning. Why even have it? Who knows what government will come in 2019 that might exploit it to take away people's citizenship...

walktheline

Star Member
Oct 28, 2016
But still, the very presence of this clause is concerning. Why even have it? Who knows what government will come in 2019 that might exploit it to take away people's citizenship...
It's merely a psychological scare tactic which does not have any legal power.
If they really wanted to have something legally enforceable, they should have changed the law similar to some European countries like "automatically lose citizenship after X years of not living in the country".

dbss

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
Someone on this forum posted a while ago that we need to strengthen our citizenship laws so that no government can just come in and f**k us over. That I believe is the best case scenario.

Joshua1

Nov 18, 2013
I think I'm approaching the point where C-6's passage will actually mean I have to wait longer to get my citizenship.

See, I'm one year away from applying and the coming-into-effect clause will probably be one year, so I won't benefit from reduced residency + by the time I'm good to go, I'll be applying along with a deluge of other applicants who are suddenly now eligible. All these applications will likely clog the system and send processing times rocketing back to 1-2 years...so really, I don't benefit in any way from C-6 lol...anyone else in the same boat?

I think unless you very recently became a PR, this bill will likely not help you or, if you're at the cusp of applying, will probably make you wait much longer than if it didn't exist. I'm saying this because I feel there are people here not realizing that C-6 won't save them any time, not to rub it in...I sympathize with everyone here.

I am in the same boat. This bill came into effect about 1 month after I became a "landed" immigrant. I was a graduate student before that. I should be eligible to apply around this time next year under the C-24. But to me, my biggest pet peeves with C-24 are:
1. The implied second class citizenship issue
2. Intent to reside (some people think it's just window dressing... but they don't understand bureaucracy.... one day you come back to Canada and a disgruntled agent decides to make an example of you)
3. Not counting time spent before PR while we've worked, went to school and paid taxes is ludicrous

Mike053

Feb 9, 2009
Hon. Minister Hussen, PM, MPs

Email: Ahmed.Hussen@parl.gc.ca
CC: Bardish.Chagger@parl.gc.ca , justin.trudeau@parl.gc.ca Also, google out your local MP and CC him/her too.

Clearly mention that ball is in House of Commons(Liberal) court now and Liberals should pass/implement this long delayed election promise ASAP.
Guys, ignore that kirtivsingh...

Just focus on above post from Quasar. We do what we control and is in our hand. Without any pressure on Minister/PM we are looking at serious delays 1year or more with vacations etc.

Those who haven't yet:
Call your MP, email Minister and PM Trudeau to implement C6. Nothing moves until MPs and Minister feel the need/pressure from people.

If your MP is conservative, no need to call. Just email Minister Hussen and PM Trudeau.

Each email counts!!!

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015

I've said this over and over again (and not just me, others too): The main reason processing times went down is that CIC increased it's output because C-24 significantly simplified the application process (e.g. when citizenship judges get involved and such). So the C-6 input will not increase the processing times by 1-2 years. The process stays streamlined. It's the one good thing that came out of C-24.

robw

Mar 10, 2014
I've said this over and over again (and not just me, others too): The main reason processing times went down is that CIC increased it's output because C-24 significantly simplified the application process (e.g. when citizenship judges get involved and such). So the C-6 input will not increase the processing times by 1-2 years. The process stays streamlined. It's the one good thing that came out of C-24.
Doesn't change the fact that in the first few months after C-6 is implemented (whenever that may be), you will have a larger-than-normal volume of applicants. Processing times WILL increase in that period...I would bet my bottom dollar that this'll happen. By how much is anyone's guess. The delays could ostensibly be as long as you would've had to wait under the current rules for some people.

Point I'm trying to make is that C-6 won't necessarily cut everyone's path to citizenship by that much. Any time the rules change (especially rules that lead to a sudden surge of applications), delays will happen.

MM26

Oct 3, 2016
Guys chill out! This year is the 150th anniversary of Canada and this Canada day would be a historic date to implement the citizenship bill C-6. I don't think the Liberals want to miss that!

spiritsoul

Jan 9, 2013
Mississauga
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
28-03-2011
AOR Received.
02-05-2011
File Transfer...
02-05-2011
Med's Request
25-11-2012
Med's Done....
17-01-2013
Interview........
Nil
Passport Req..
18-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
11-03-2013
LANDED..........
16-06-2013
Guys chill out! This year is the 150th anniversary of Canada and this Canada day would be a historic date to implement the citizenship bill C-6. I don't think the Liberals want to miss that!
Bill C-6 could become a law by the 150th anniversary BUT not necessarily get implemented by then. This scenario makes sense I believe.