+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Sponsorship in-land Applications 2017 timeline and updates

Oldmacwright

Aug 18, 2017
All they do is to waste the applicants time(patience test) by regarding their applications as the 20% that must exceed the official processing timeline, while they meet up with the other 80% within the 12 months frame.

In fact, they just keep them aside indirectly through transfers from one place to another, to be called upon in a future date. Some at the 14th, 15th or 16th month, some at the 18month or more.

Meanwhile, when they call up the applications for further processing, they may ask for additional documents( thesame way they asked for additional documents from other applicants that were approved within the 12 months),

- call for clarifications( they same way they called for clarifications for other applicants they had approved within 12 months,

schedule a relationship interview to get Landing letters same day.

or just go ahead to DMs and send Landing interview letters.

You know they would always want to justify the time wasted. Any application that is a, or almost a NO NO for them, would have received a procedural fairness letter or something similar before the 12 months, or on the same day they are considering the application for further assessment.

In reality, the penalty for being out of status is the time wasted in the process of the transfers for further assessment.
I'm not sure being out of status automatically means longer processing times, my wife was out of status well over 2 years and she landed in just over 11 months in July and there was someone here in April (Melissa something) who was out of status for 5 years and still landed in under 12 months. There has to be other flags. In our case we were married well before she fell out of status and met many years before we even got married, so no risk of it looking like marriage of convenience due to lack of status which would naturally lead to extra scrutiny.

sylvain1

Champion Member
Nov 2, 2016
Quebec
Visa Office......
Montreal
App. Filed.......
12-08-2015
AOR Received.
07-11-2015
Med's Request
07-12-2016
Med's Done....
21-12-2016
LANDED..........
26-05-2017
I'm not sure being out of status automatically means longer processing times, my wife was out of status well over 2 years and she landed in just over 11 months in July and there was someone here in April (Melissa something) who was out of status for 5 years and still landed in under 12 months. There has to be other flags. In our case we were married well before she fell out of status and met many years before we even got married, so no risk of it looking like marriage of convenience due to lack of status which would naturally lead to extra scrutiny.
That's exactly that. There are other flags for sure.

Mountains2018

Sep 6, 2018
Hi Mountains

I have a UK passport.

I'm flying overseas in a few weeks and they've cancelled my work permit and will cancel my eTA at some point. You can't get on a plane back to Canada without an eTA or PR card, and I now have neither. So I will need to apply for PRTD once overseas (you can't apply inside Canada). How long this takes is the issue, as I'm only in each country for 5 days max.

The landing officer said best not to travel for 10 weeks now. But that's not realistic. Seems like a fault in their system. Why not give all new PRs 90 days eTA? Would solve everything.

Anyway good luck with your app. How far are you? I wouldn't worry about landing interview stage - it's a done deal at this point.

Will
Thank you Will for your reply. I am Jan 15, 2018 Applicant. I am done with medicals and my background check is being processed.
Was little worried about not having travel document or Passport being ground for refusal. Good luck with PRTD.

david_gat88

Jul 4, 2018
@Amsadek4u
Well, if it's true what you wrote in the penultimate paragraph, I can rest assure that I'll be fine, as none of the other options concerns me.

But I do agree that lack of status is not a reason to either delay or reject an application. Perhaps I am just one of the unlucky persons or I do have other red flags.

Thank you for your time.

Mountains2018

Sep 6, 2018
The PRTD that @Will_PA was referring to is for permanent resident with no PR card that need to travel.

I would recommend you to type "ip-8 cic manual" on google. Download the first link (pdf). That's the manual for inland spousal sponsorship. I would say that you are on a bumpy road not having a passport. Look at pages 21-22:

" a foreign national must have a valid passport or travel document by the time CIC seeks to grant permanent residence (R72).

Passport requirements Clients who have entered Canada without a passport
Clients who are under a removal order or face enforcement proceedings for failure to enter Canada with a valid passport or required travel document, are eligible for consideration under the spousal public policy (Appendix A), and can become members of the class, if they meet the remaining criteria under R124 (See section 5.27 for further information on lack on lack of status) However, clients cannot be granted permanent residence under R72 if they do not obtain a valid passport or travel document by the time CIC seeks to grant permanent residence. Accordingly, clients should be given the opportunity to obtain a passport or travel document before refusing the application for permanent residence on those grounds. It should be noted, however, that the criteria under the spousal public policy do not include an exemption from the passport requirement. Section 15 provides instructions on processing applications in this class accompanied by a request for humanitarian and compassionate consideration.

Requirement to have a valid passport in order to become a permanent resident
As a general rule, CIC should accept only valid and non-expired passports to grant permanent residence [R72]. This being said, the use of a passport that has expired during the processing of an application may be appropriate in some instances to fulfill the requirements of R72. Therefore, while not ideal, officers should feel free to use their judgment in accepting passports that have expired during processing when no identity issues remain. However, if there is clear evidence of misrepresentation under IRPA, in accordance with the Department’s guidelines, officers may choose to refuse the application."

But then, page 57:
"Processing requests for H&C consideration to overcome inadmissibilities and other applicable requirements
For greater clarity, applicants who meet the specified eligibility requirements of R124(a) and R124(c) may request an exemption from the requirement to have temporary residence status, a valid passport/travel document, authorization to enter Canada after being deported, or other applicable requirements (criminality, security, medical, misrepresentation, etc.). They are not required to re-apply through the regular H&C stream.
"

Thank you sylvain1, I read it but got confused. While applying for inland sponsorship I did write a cover letter explaining my situation of not having passport or travel document but i did not ask for exemption(as i was unaware it would result in being inadmissible). I hope this letter would be accepted as H&C consideration to overcome inadmissibility of not having a passport or travel document.

Do you think I should send one more letter explaining everything or wait for the immigration officer to response. Really confused, Thank you for your time and help

sylvain1

Champion Member
Nov 2, 2016
Quebec
Visa Office......
Montreal
App. Filed.......
12-08-2015
AOR Received.
07-11-2015
Med's Request
07-12-2016
Med's Done....
21-12-2016
LANDED..........
26-05-2017
Thank you sylvain1, I read it but got confused. While applying for inland sponsorship I did write a cover letter explaining my situation of not having passport or travel document but i did not ask for exemption(as i was unaware it would result in being inadmissible). I hope this letter would be accepted as H&C consideration to overcome inadmissibility of not having a passport or travel document.

Do you think I should send one more letter explaining everything or wait for the immigration officer to response. Really confused, Thank you for your time and help
Honestly I'm not qualified to advise you on that. I usually say there is no need for any lawyers in the spousal sponsorship category, but you are in a particular case. Maybe it would worth consulting an immigration lawyer (not to hire him as a representative, but) to ask specifically about how to proceed without a passport.
Or maybe somebody else with a similar situation as yours could advise you on what they did.

Amsadek4u

Star Member
Jul 14, 2017
App. Filed.......
14-06-2017
Doc's Request.
15-07-2017
AOR Received.
13-07-2017
I did say not all out of status, but those whose the officers determined the sponsorship application to be categorized as being under an assumed marriage of convenience. And that’s the red flag.

Except, for others with inadmisibility issues.- transfer for further processing.

They base the transfer for further assessment on the situations before the application, especially when you were previously refused a temporary permit before the sponsorship application, married in the process of exclusion order, no too long relationship history, and just whatever convinces them the marriage is for convenience, they will send it for further assessment.

You and Melissa, didn’t fall into that category that’s why your application was not transferred.

Last edited:

celinalee1219

Dec 11, 2017
Hello everyone, I'm Oct 10 applicant and just got an update from CIC saying my eligibility passed. "It has been determined that you meet the eligibility requirements to apply for permanent residence as a member of the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class. Please note that a final decision will not be made until all remaining requirements for becoming a permanent resident have been met." I'm not sure if this is the AIP? but how come there is no SA?

My CIC account status is still showing like this:
Review of eligibility: We are reviewing whether you meet the eligibility requirements. Help - Review of eligibility
Review of medical results: You passed the medical exam. Help - Review of medical results
Review of additional documents: We are reviewing the additional documents you provided. Help - Review of additional documents
Interview: You do not need an interview. We will send you a message if this changes. Help - Interview
Biometrics: We do not need your fingerprints. We will send you a message if this changes. Help - Biometrics
Background check: We are processing your background check. We will send you a message if we need more information.
Final decision: Your application is in progress. We will send you a message once the final decision has been made.

Is anybody in the same stage like me? How long should I expect to get SA, decision made and landing request?

Thank you in advance!!

Reactions: Will_PA and jeet07

Mountains2018

Sep 6, 2018
Honestly I'm not qualified to advise you on that. I usually say there is no need for any lawyers in the spousal sponsorship category, but you are in a particular case. Maybe it would worth consulting an immigration lawyer (not to hire him as a representative, but) to ask specifically about how to proceed without a passport.
Or maybe somebody else with a similar situation as yours could advise you on what they did.
Thank you for your help, I will try to consult an immigration lawyer.

Sep 13, 2018
Hi Team,
Our application was received on September 26th, 2017.
Passed medical exam on April 19th and received the work permit in May.
Since April, my CIC shows:

Review of eligibility Your application is in progress. We will send you a message when we start reviewing your eligibility.

Review of medical results You passed the medical exam.

Review of additional documents The additional documents you provided have been uploaded.

Interview You do not need an interview. We will send you a message if this changes.

Biometrics We do not need your fingerprints. We will send you a message if this changes.

Background check We are processing your background check. We will send you a message if we need more information.

Final decision Your application is in progress. We will send you a message once the final decision has been made.

Called CIC this morning and they said that my application is in BC (I applied in Ontario) and that I have to wait.

Any advice?

sylvain1

Champion Member
Nov 2, 2016
Quebec
Visa Office......
Montreal
App. Filed.......
12-08-2015
AOR Received.
07-11-2015
Med's Request
07-12-2016
Med's Done....
21-12-2016
LANDED..........
26-05-2017
Hello everyone, I'm Oct 10 applicant and just got an update from CIC saying my eligibility passed. "It has been determined that you meet the eligibility requirements to apply for permanent residence as a member of the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class. Please note that a final decision will not be made until all remaining requirements for becoming a permanent resident have been met." I'm not sure if this is the AIP? but how come there is no SA?

My CIC account status is still showing like this:
Review of eligibility: We are reviewing whether you meet the eligibility requirements. Help - Review of eligibility
Review of medical results: You passed the medical exam. Help - Review of medical results
Review of additional documents: We are reviewing the additional documents you provided. Help - Review of additional documents
Interview: You do not need an interview. We will send you a message if this changes. Help - Interview
Biometrics: We do not need your fingerprints. We will send you a message if this changes. Help - Biometrics
Background check: We are processing your background check. We will send you a message if we need more information.
Final decision: Your application is in progress. We will send you a message once the final decision has been made.

Is anybody in the same stage like me? How long should I expect to get SA, decision made and landing request?

Thank you in advance!!
this is AIP. The sponsor is already approved (it's needed for AIP), but the letter might be delayed. The sponsor should receive soon a letter.

Check ECAS, https://services3.cic.gc.ca/ecas/security.do
Log in as the sponsor. You should already see "decision made" on the sponsor side. The PA side will be either "in process" or "decision made". When you see decision made on the PA side, then you know it's done. But the timeline between AIP and DM varies from few hours to few months, so I cannot give you a timeline for that.

sylvain1

Champion Member
Nov 2, 2016
Quebec
Visa Office......
Montreal
App. Filed.......
12-08-2015
AOR Received.
07-11-2015
Med's Request
07-12-2016
Med's Done....
21-12-2016
LANDED..........
26-05-2017
Hi Team,
Our application was received on September 26th, 2017.
Passed medical exam on April 19th and received the work permit in May.
Since April, my CIC shows:

Review of eligibility Your application is in progress. We will send you a message when we start reviewing your eligibility.

Review of medical results You passed the medical exam.

Review of additional documents The additional documents you provided have been uploaded.

Interview You do not need an interview. We will send you a message if this changes.

Biometrics We do not need your fingerprints. We will send you a message if this changes.

Background check We are processing your background check. We will send you a message if we need more information.

Final decision Your application is in progress. We will send you a message once the final decision has been made.

Called CIC this morning and they said that my application is in BC (I applied in Ontario) and that I have to wait.

Any advice?
Vancouver office has processed a significant number of applications recently (as reported in this thread). I would consider that having your file there is likely a positive sign and I would expect you to see movement on your application soon.

Nlkko

Star Member
Nov 26, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-10-2014
Nomination.....
17-10-2015
AOR Received.
08-03-2016
Med's Request
02-11-2016
Med's Done....
13-11-2016
Passport Req..
10-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
16-03-2017
LANDED..........
17-03-2017
All they do is to waste the applicants time(patience test) by regarding their applications as the 20% that must exceed the official processing timeline, while they meet up with the other 80% within the 12 months frame.

In fact, they just keep them aside indirectly through transfers from one place to another, to be called upon in a future date. Some at the 14th, 15th or 16th month, some at the 18month or more.

Meanwhile, when they call up the applications for further processing, they may ask for additional documents( thesame way they asked for additional documents from other applicants that were approved within the 12 months),

- call for clarifications( they same way they called for clarifications for other applicants they had approved within 12 months,

schedule a relationship interview to get Landing letters same day.

or just go ahead to DMs and send Landing interview letters.

You know they would always want to justify the time wasted. Any application that is a, or almost a NO NO for them, would have received a procedural fairness letter or something similar before the 12 months, or on the same day they are considering the application for further assessment.

In reality, the penalty for being out of status is the time wasted in the process of the transfers for further assessment.
Chill with the fake news. They are doing an amazing jobs processing majority of applications under 12 months time.

Keeping your legal immigration status isn't a joke. You are or were illegal aliens in Canada, yet they still provide you with an avenue to become a legal resident. In the US, they pick you up, deport and ban you for 10 years. Get real for once. You aren't entitled to permanent residences. It isn't their fault you fell out of status.

There are hundreds of thousands applications for PR in the pipeline. If there's a red flag, yours will go into a spin and will take significant time longer. These guys are doing due diligence for the good of Canadians and Canadian PR, which you are trying to become. You are welcome.