+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Sponsorship in-land Applications 2017 timeline and updates

Ravs1988

Star Member
Nov 9, 2017
Do you have decision made in ecas?
For sure, if you can afford to spend the $255 for the OWP I would do so after getting AIP, just in case you are one of the unlucky ones that get stuck at that stage for months, and I guess IRCC will refund the OWP fees if you land before it's processed?

sylvain1

Champion Member
Nov 2, 2016
Quebec
Visa Office......
Montreal
App. Filed.......
12-08-2015
AOR Received.
07-11-2015
Med's Request
07-12-2016
Med's Done....
21-12-2016
LANDED..........
26-05-2017
No they aren't the owners of Canada and if they have that attitude they should not be in this job, and if they are thinking like that then I also own an equal share as I am a several generation Canadian so I should be treated as such. (sounds ridiculous right?) However I should and do have the right to have my husband safely with me in a timely fashion. (as we all do) I as a human wouldn't treat other humans like they are right now, peoples lives are being effected by their lack of urgency and poor attitude towards doing a proper job. Yes there should be proper communication and a 'heads up' to what might be a snag in the system. It should be a first in first out, there should also be accountability for not meeting the service level agreements, and perhaps fast tracking the ones that have slipped through the cracks for some reason. We should be able to ask why the delay, what's happening now, and how did this happen. Seeing 'in process' for months on end isn't exactly helpful and finding out at the Decision process that was late in the first place they wanted some other item not in the guidebook is unacceptable ! They have 12 months, which seems extreme as it is, to figure this all out that is more then enough time for sending extra unknown documents to them
But remember that just 2 years ago, the normal processing time was 26 months, not 12 like today. Complicated cases were taking obviously longer than 26 months. There is a very very very significant improvement in the processing of spousal sponsorship applications. I'm not saying it's perfect, it's not. But the improvement is quite considerable.
I would easily agree that the system would benefit from being more transparent. However, that cannot be a first in first out. Some cases are much more complicated than others, some countries collaborate much better with Canadian authorities (for security checks) than others. If you look at the big picture, applications are processed in order. There are some "outliers" being processed very fast, some others being processed very slowly without any obvious reasons, but the vast majority is processed in about 12 months.
But in the end, the approval rate is above 90% in this category, so it's just a matter of time and patience. Your husband is here with you, he can live a relatively normal life here like almost any other Canadians, so my humble advice: keep enjoying your everyday life, this is way more important than this immigration process.

KAUR.GOSAL

Star Member
Apr 4, 2017
But remember that just 2 years ago, the normal processing time was 26 months, not 12 like today. Complicated cases were taking obviously longer than 26 months. There is a very very very significant improvement in the processing of spousal sponsorship applications. I'm not saying it's perfect, it's not. But the improvement is quite considerable.
I would easily agree that the system would benefit from being more transparent. However, that cannot be a first in first out. Some cases are much more complicated than others, some countries collaborate much better with Canadian authorities (for security checks) than others. If you look at the big picture, applications are processed in order. There are some "outliers" being processed very fast, some others being processed very slowly without any obvious reasons, but the vast majority is processed in about 12 months.
But in the end, the approval rate is above 90% in this category, so it's just a matter of time and patience. Your husband is here with you, he can live a relatively normal life here like almost any other Canadians, so my humble advice: keep enjoying your everyday life, this is way more important than this immigration process.

that's true

itsme123

Star Member
Aug 2, 2018

I agree on it !! But it kind of frustrates when they hold up on things which could be asked for in time !!! Also , that the person cant do anything at all till he gets approval which makes this wait game more hard!!!

Reactions: Danish1371

Will_PA

Sep 3, 2017
I agree on it !! But it kind of frustrates when they hold up on things which could be asked for in time !!! Also , that the person cant do anything at all till he gets approval which makes this wait game more hard!!!
If you're in status you get a work permit after 4 months.

The person can live a normal life at this point pretty much.

I think that's fair enough.

Ravs1988

Star Member
Nov 9, 2017
He just got approved on his work permit application :) finally

For sure, if you can afford to spend the $255 for the OWP I would do so after getting AIP, just in case you are one of the unlucky ones that get stuck at that stage for months, and I guess IRCC will refund the OWP fees if you land before it's processed?

Reactions: sylvain1

Mountains2018

Sep 6, 2018
Landed today, Etobicoke. Good luck everyone!

Now to obtain PRTD...

(Oct 4th applicant)
Hi Will_PA, I have a question. Do you have passport or travel document ?. I am asking because i have applied inland sponsorship without any passport and travel document. And won't be able to get one. Just wanted to know if you were in same situation and how did it go with you. Thank you in advance.

sylvain1

Champion Member
Nov 2, 2016
Quebec
Visa Office......
Montreal
App. Filed.......
12-08-2015
AOR Received.
07-11-2015
Med's Request
07-12-2016
Med's Done....
21-12-2016
LANDED..........
26-05-2017
But most applicants can work or study while waiting for the PR to come. Only people that were out of status when they applied are in a more precarious situation as they really cannot do anything until AIP.

But, you know, I do understand the feeling. When we applied, the processing time was 26 months and at that time, the processing time for AIP (which was also published by CIC at that time) was 16 months. Then the government announced that they would target to process 80% of new applications in 12 months (which they did) saying that about 20% of application are more complex to process and could take longer. Then people that applied few months after us started to land in 14-16 months. We reached 19 months with no news... Then suddenly, SA and AIP separated by few minutes, DM the next day. Landing was about 10 weeks later. My wife was on a study permit here, so she could keep studying during the process, but being in Quebec city and not speaking French... it's not easy. Until she got AIP, she was not eligible to get French class for immigrants, she was not eligible to get the RAMQ (Quebec health insurance plan),... So I do understand frustrations that come with those delay despite having what I considered a very straightforward application. But in the end, my wife was here with me for the whole process, she could have a quite normal life, this process was testing our patience, but again in the end, it was only a matter of time. And my best advice, don't waste your mood and energy on this process. Keep enjoying your everyday life, that's far more important.

Will_PA

Sep 3, 2017
Hi Will_PA, I have a question. Do you have passport or travel document ?. I am asking because i have applied inland sponsorship without any passport and travel document. And won't be able to get one. Just wanted to know if you were in same situation and how did it go with you. Thank you in advance.
Hi Mountains

I have a UK passport.

I'm flying overseas in a few weeks and they've cancelled my work permit and will cancel my eTA at some point. You can't get on a plane back to Canada without an eTA or PR card, and I now have neither. So I will need to apply for PRTD once overseas (you can't apply inside Canada). How long this takes is the issue, as I'm only in each country for 5 days max.

The landing officer said best not to travel for 10 weeks now. But that's not realistic. Seems like a fault in their system. Why not give all new PRs 90 days eTA? Would solve everything.

Anyway good luck with your app. How far are you? I wouldn't worry about landing interview stage - it's a done deal at this point.

Will

itsme123

Star Member
Aug 2, 2018
But most applicants can work or study while waiting for the PR to come. Only people that were out of status when they applied are in a more precarious situation as they really cannot do anything until AIP.

But, you know, I do understand the feeling. When we applied, the processing time was 26 months and at that time, the processing time for AIP (which was also published by CIC at that time) was 16 months. Then the government announced that they would target to process 80% of new applications in 12 months (which they did) saying that about 20% of application are more complex to process and could take longer. Then people that applied few months after us started to land in 14-16 months. We reached 19 months with no news... Then suddenly, SA and AIP separated by few minutes, DM the next day. Landing was about 10 weeks later. My wife was on a study permit here, so she could keep studying during the process, but being in Quebec city and not speaking French... it's not easy. Until she got AIP, she was not eligible to get French class for immigrants, she was not eligible to get the RAMQ (Quebec health insurance plan),... So I do understand frustrations that come with those delay despite having what I considered a very straightforward application. But in the end, my wife was here with me for the whole process, she could have a quite normal life, this process was testing our patience, but again in the end, it was only a matter of time. And my best advice, don't waste your mood and energy on this process. Keep enjoying your everyday life, that's far more important.
I understand !!! I guess you are right as well !! This frustration and wait wont even matter when it all gets done !!!! Keeping fingers crossed... hopefuly soon ! :)

Reactions: sylvain1

sylvain1

Champion Member
Nov 2, 2016
Quebec
Visa Office......
Montreal
App. Filed.......
12-08-2015
AOR Received.
07-11-2015
Med's Request
07-12-2016
Med's Done....
21-12-2016
LANDED..........
26-05-2017
The PRTD that @Will_PA was referring to is for permanent resident with no PR card that need to travel.

I would recommend you to type "ip-8 cic manual" on google. Download the first link (pdf). That's the manual for inland spousal sponsorship. I would say that you are on a bumpy road not having a passport. Look at pages 21-22:

" a foreign national must have a valid passport or travel document by the time CIC seeks to grant permanent residence (R72).

Passport requirements Clients who have entered Canada without a passport
Clients who are under a removal order or face enforcement proceedings for failure to enter Canada with a valid passport or required travel document, are eligible for consideration under the spousal public policy (Appendix A), and can become members of the class, if they meet the remaining criteria under R124 (See section 5.27 for further information on lack on lack of status) However, clients cannot be granted permanent residence under R72 if they do not obtain a valid passport or travel document by the time CIC seeks to grant permanent residence. Accordingly, clients should be given the opportunity to obtain a passport or travel document before refusing the application for permanent residence on those grounds. It should be noted, however, that the criteria under the spousal public policy do not include an exemption from the passport requirement. Section 15 provides instructions on processing applications in this class accompanied by a request for humanitarian and compassionate consideration.

Requirement to have a valid passport in order to become a permanent resident
As a general rule, CIC should accept only valid and non-expired passports to grant permanent residence [R72]. This being said, the use of a passport that has expired during the processing of an application may be appropriate in some instances to fulfill the requirements of R72. Therefore, while not ideal, officers should feel free to use their judgment in accepting passports that have expired during processing when no identity issues remain. However, if there is clear evidence of misrepresentation under IRPA, in accordance with the Department’s guidelines, officers may choose to refuse the application."

But then, page 57:
"Processing requests for H&C consideration to overcome inadmissibilities and other applicable requirements
For greater clarity, applicants who meet the specified eligibility requirements of R124(a) and R124(c) may request an exemption from the requirement to have temporary residence status, a valid passport/travel document, authorization to enter Canada after being deported, or other applicable requirements (criminality, security, medical, misrepresentation, etc.). They are not required to re-apply through the regular H&C stream.
"

Reactions: Mountains2018