+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CIC office in Edmonton-Alberta

nwtspam

Star Member
Apr 20, 2012
I am keeping in touch with my MP. CIC won't send anything down to Calgary. CGY office will only touch the files from Southern Alberta.

Thank you for your email regarding a Citizenship Judge in Edmonton. I can confirm that it is correct, there is no citizenship judge appointed for Edmonton right now. There is only one to cover Northern Alberta, and one to cover Southern Alberta. They get appointed for three years, and most often get an extension. Unfortunately, it happens approximately every six years that one jurisdiction is without a judge for some time.

Your member of parliament does not have any influence on the timing of a new appointment. It is not a situation that anybody is particular happy about. Once a new judge is appointed he or she has to go through a training process, so will not be working on files right away.

At the moment the department estimates it will take 18 months to catch up. That could change along the way, we do not know at this time.

Good luck!
erikag said:
Genshez, when did you get the FP done? What did CIC do until April???

I am afraid our cases will be processed slower since there is no judge in Edmonton since January. :( They are probably sending the files to the Calgary judges to review and to make decision.

E

erikag

Nwtspam, please do not tell me that this means that our files will be sitting in the Edmonton office for 18+ months and nothing will happen until we get a new judge. It is not clear for me whether there is a judge or not who is reviewing the cases in Edmonton (like a visiting judge). If we have to wait 2 more years, we might as well move to a different province. We would get the citizenship a lot faster even if we include the necessary time for transfer.

nwtspam

Star Member
Apr 20, 2012
And that's correct. If your file require a judge review, it will be backlogged for at least 18+ months, probably over 2 years before it's your turn.

The Edmonton CIC officer had advised you to do your very best on the test or there will be a minimum of 18 months delay for a judge.

erikag said:
Nwtspam, please do not tell me that this means that our files will be sitting in the Edmonton office for 18+ months and nothing will happen until we get a new judge. It is not clear for me whether there is a judge or not who is reviewing the cases in Edmonton (like a visiting judge). If we have to wait 2 more years, we might as well move to a different province. We would get the citizenship a lot faster even if we include the necessary time for transfer.

E

erikag

I am not worried about not passing the test. My only concern is that as far as I know a judge has to approve every case before the applicant can have the oath. I might not be right though ...
Also my husband had several US visitor visa in his passport, so the chances are high that we will get an RQ. If we get an RQ, our case will be stuck for a looooong time. :(

nwtspam

Star Member
Apr 20, 2012
I think your assigned CIC officer can approve your case. Just make sure that s/he doesn't go on summer vacation or any special leaves just yet. :p

erikag said:
I am not worried about not passing the test. My only concern is that as far as I know a judge has to approve every case before the applicant can have the oath. I might not be right though ...
Also my husband had several US visitor visa in his passport, so the chances are high that we will get an RQ. If we get an RQ, our case will be stuck for a looooong time. :(

E

erikag

I do not think a CIC officer can approve cases.

Here is what I found about the role of Citizenship judges:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/commission/roles.asp

Citizenship judges play a number of roles:

Review 150,000–160,000 citizenship applications per year;
Assess applicants to ensure they meet the requirements of the Citizenship Act and the Citizenship Regulations;
Administer the oath of citizenship and highlight the rights and responsibilities of Canadian citizenship to new Canadians;
Maintain the integrity of the citizenship process; and
Promote citizenship by working with school boards, service clubs, multicultural groups and other community organizations.

Role as Decision Makers

Citizenship judges are independent, quasi-judicial decision makers. At least 90% of their time is spent reviewing citizenship applications, making decisions and explaining those decisions in writing.

Citizenship judges work closely with the staff of Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC). Applications are first processed by CIC staff who make preliminary checks to determine if the applicant meets the criteria set out in the Citizenship Act and the Citizenship Regulations to become a citizen.

CIC staff administer a knowledge test and conduct a preliminary screening of applicants' capacity in French or English. All files are sent to citizenship judges for their review and decision. Based on the information on file, the judge decides whether or not the applicant meets the criteria to become a citizen.

Before making a decision, a judge may hold an oral hearing in which he or she meets with the applicant to obtain more information and assess whether the applicant meets the requirements for citizenship. Depending on the nature of the hearing and at the request of the applicant, they may be accompanied by a translator, legal counsel or other representative. Oral hearings are only required for a small percentage of files but are a significant element of the judge's normal work.

Judges must provide written decisions within 60 days of the hearing, setting out the reasons for their decision. Decisions can be appealed to the Federal Court of Canada by either a non-approved applicant or the Minister of Citizenship, Immigration and Multiculturalism.
"All files are sent to citizenship judges for their review and decision."
Do you see now why I am worried? :(

nwtspam

Star Member
Apr 20, 2012
I think you are correct. Let me find out from my MP again...

NWTS PAM :D

erikag said:
I do not think a CIC officer can approve cases.

Here is what I found about the role of Citizenship judges:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/commission/roles.asp

"All files are sent to citizenship judges for their review and decision."
Do you see now why I am worried? :(

E

erikag

OK.
I also contacted my MP but at that time I did not know that the judge has to approve EVERY case. I did ask her about the possible closure of the Edmonton CIC office, the judge situation and the delays we should expect.
I will keep you posted!

genshez

May 22, 2012
EriKag, I did the FP electronically on January 3rd with L1 Agency. On April 16, they received my FP and they forwarded it to the RCMP. That's all they did in April. Note* I have received email from da RCMP on May 7 saying they've completed da verification on May 3rd and the results have been sent to Edmonton Office. :-[ Man, this whole thing doesnt make sense, doesnt it?

nwtspam

Star Member
Apr 20, 2012
90-120 days to process electronic FP means your FPs are "known" to the police and they have to process your FP manually. Did you forget to pay a parking ticket or something? ;D

I also used a L1 agency from Edmonton, it took them less than 72 hours to sent out the result.

genshez said:
EriKag, I did the FP electronically on January 3rd with L1 Agency. On April 16, they received my FP and they forwarded it to the RCMP. That's all they did in April. Note* I have received email from da RCMP on May 7 saying they've completed da verification on May 3rd and the results have been sent to Edmonton Office. :-[ Man, this whole thing doesnt make sense, doesnt it?

genshez

May 22, 2012
Parking ticket :) :) Yeh I got few from BC, so that could be the reason. Anyway back to topic, I did another Elec. FP (employment purpose) two weeks after the CIC's one. The result was in mail in three weeks. I bet CIC has messed up my files and they don't want admit it :mad: :mad:

90-120 days to process electronic FP means your FPs are "known" to the police and they have to process your FP manually. Did you forget to pay a parking ticket or something?

I also used a L1 agency from Edmonton, it took them less than 72 hours to sent out the result.

nwtspam

Star Member
Apr 20, 2012
Response from my MP... 8)

Thank you for your message. To clarify there are still ceremonies happening. The Edmonton CIC office has been without a Judge since January 2012. When available CIC borrows Citizenship Judges from other regions to do ceremonies, there is no guarantee when or if that will happen. Applicants that are tested and ready for ceremony in order received may be called for a ceremony. There were a couple of ceremonies in February and March which were conducted by a Judge from another region.

In May a ceremony was conducted by an Order of Canada for applicants tested and ready for ceremony in order received. When an Order of Canada does the ceremony the files have to be signed off by a Judge from another region so files have to be sent to those offices.

There are other regions who are also without a Citizenship Judge right now so ceremonies will be sporadic depending on availability of a Judge or an Order of Canada.

Your family only recently did the test and on the basis there are no concerns your applications are further down in the queue for ceremony. They are working on applications that are tested and ready for ceremony that were finalized done long before yours. Once a Judge is appointed all will pick up again and Citizenship will catch up. There is no timeline on that right now.

I hope this information helps to clarify everything for you.

nwtspam said:
I think you are correct. Let me find out from my MP again...

NWTS PAM :D

E

erikag

Thanks for posting the response!

I am still waiting for my MP's reply and I wrote her a couple of days before you did .... :mad:

What about those who are waiting for the test? Do we have to wait for the new judge or our test will be scheduled before we get one. :(

E

erikag

k9fortmc said:
Test was so easy. No panic everyone. Just prepare ! Myself i didnt read the book at all .. All idud is do this test over and over and over for a week .. And there is no way you fail the test: http://www.apnatoronto.com/canadian-citizenship-test-practice/

Good luck everyone:)
Were you only practicing on apnatoronto. com??? Did you have the same questions as in the practice tests?
Can you share your experience? Did you notice anyone getting RQ?
Now the last part of your journey has began. :)
Hopefully it won't be long!