File Transfer...
Jan 2012, tfr to ISL May 2013
Med's Request
July 2014
Med's Done....
July 2014
Re: TRV

lovely123 said:
hello guys my husband sponsered me in oct 24th and file sent to CHC islamabad on 8th jan
and he wants to invite me just for a visite we dont have any logical reason that i will come back . so what to do ??? and how to apply for TRV from Islamabad ???
I read that 2 members on this forum were exactly in the same case as you...and none of them got the TRV because CIC could not be convinced that they will go back to Pakistan, even though one of them took an oath and had a signed letter and all indicating that he will...anyhow, I think there is an extremely slim chance if any.

nickandkaren

Mar 31, 2013
Hi team, hope to get some advise...

I'm a New Zealand citizen and came to Canada (April 2012-February 2013) on a working holiday visa (is only valid for 12 months and not entitled to apply for another of that visa category). I met my girlfriend Karen in August and we have been together since. We have both jumped across to Australia (Karen on the working holiday visa this time) to ensure we stay together, we are now also engaged.
We both wish to return to Canada for good next year.
Ideally we want to get married in august next year. This is where my questions begin!
- Are we more likely to be successful obtaining my Permanent Residency if we are married before returning?
- Are we best to apply for my visa now/wait till marriage/or when we fly to Canada next year?

Any help would be gladly appreciated as I love her more than anything and will do whatever it takes.

Thanks,
Nick

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
nickandkaren said:
Hi team, hope to get some advise...

I'm a New Zealand citizen and came to Canada (April 2012-February 2013) on a working holiday visa (is only valid for 12 months and not entitled to apply for another of that visa category). I met my girlfriend Karen in August and we have been together since. We have both jumped across to Australia (Karen on the working holiday visa this time) to ensure we stay together, we are now also engaged.
We both wish to return to Canada for good next year.
Ideally we want to get married in august next year. This is where my questions begin!
- Are we more likely to be successful obtaining my Permanent Residency if we are married before returning?
- Are we best to apply for my visa now/wait till marriage/or when we fly to Canada next year?

Any help would be gladly appreciated as I love her more than anything and will do whatever it takes.

Thanks,
Nick
To qualify to apply for PR you either need to be married or common law first. Common law means that you have physically lived together at the same address for a minimum of one full year.

I would apply for PR as soon as you qualify.

abscott

Feb 24, 2013
Manila
Visa Office......
Manila
App. Filed.......
07-08-2013
AOR Received.
23-08-2013
File Transfer...
04-09-2013
Med's Done....
10-06-2013
Passport Req..
15-May-2014
VISA ISSUED...
12-22-2014
LANDED..........
02-20-2015
Leon said:
So you are in the situation that you want to sponsor your foreign spouse for permanent residency of Canada and don't know where to start. Here are some tips:

Married, common law or conjugal partners

First you need to pick an application class. There are three of them: married, common-law and conjugal. For all of them, you need to prove the genuineity of your relationship. For common-law, you need to prove that you have lived together for 12 months or longer. For conjugal, you need to prove that you have combined your affairs as much as possible but there are real immigration barriers or other barriers preventing you from living together or getting married. Conjugal is the hardest to prove. For example, if your partner could get a visit visa to come to Canada for 6 months and then apply for an extension to get the full year, even though they will not be allowed to work, that is not considered an immigration barrier. An immigration barrier is if your partner tries to get a visit visa to come to Canada and is repeatedly refused. Some people have had luck with the conjugal class but try to avoid it if possible.

Outland or inland?

Now you need to decide if to apply outland or inland. If your spouse is not in Canada and can not get a visa to go to Canada, you must apply outland. That means that you will send your application to Mississauga and they will approve you as a sponsor. The time that takes is usually 1-2 months to but current processing times can be seen here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/canada/process-in.asp#sponsorship After that, the application is forwarded to your local visa office. If your spouse is residing in a country other than the country of their nationality, you can pick which of the two visa offices you want. Otherwise it will be processed in their country of nationality. You can see the processing times here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/international/05-fc-spouses.asp

If your spouse is staying in Canada as a visitor or on some other visa, you can pick whether you want to apply outland or inland. Outland is generally faster and has appeal rights but a downside to outland is that if an interview is required, your spouse will have to travel to the visa office in the country where it's being processed. Inland has the downside that it's generally not advised that your spouse travels while you are waiting for your processing because it is a requirement of inland that they reside in Canada and if they are denied entry at the border for some reason, your application is gone. If an interview is required for inland, you may also have to wait a long time for it. The inland application would be sent to Vegreville and if all goes well, you would get a first stage approval, usually in 6 to 8 months. The current processing times can be seen here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/canada/process-in.asp#perm_res Then the file is forwarded to your local CIC office where you live and they will contact you for a landing appointment. Getting the PR with inland usually takes 12-18 months. If an interview is required for inland, Vegreville will not give first stage approval but instead will forward the application to the local CIC office without it and you will have to wait for them to have time for your interview. In some cases that can take a year or two. If you do get the first stage approval, your spouse will usually be eligible for health care and an open work permit. It is actually a good idea when applying inland to send an application form for a visit visa extension as well as the open work permit to be given at first stage approval all in one package so it's tied together.

Which method to pick depends on your situation. If your spouses country of nationality has a long processing time or your spouse does not want to have to travel there for a possible interview, then inland is the way to go. For faster processing and freedom of travel during the processing time, outland would be better. You can find the application forms for inland at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/spouse.asp and the application forms for outland at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp

Avoiding potential problems with your application

The most common reason for people to be called for an interview is that the visa officer has doubts about the relationship being genuine. It is up to you to send immigration some quality data, emails, chat logs, phone records, photos, letters and other material to prove to them that your relationship is the real thing. Other reasons you might have problems with is eligibility of the sponsor. The sponsor can not be on social assistance, can not be bankrupt and can not have a record of violent crimes or crimes against family members. If that is the case, better talk to a lawyer and get that cleared up before attempting to apply.

Dependent children

If your spouse has dependent children, they must be included in the PR application, even if they are not coming to Canada. They will need to have medicals as well to keep the option open to sponsor them later. The only way that immigration will accept the application without those medicals is if the children are no longer minors and refuse to have it or if the children are in the full custody of their other parent who refuses to make them available for medicals. In that case, your spouse needs to sign a statement stating that they know that they will never be able to sponsor these children to Canada in the future.

Dependent children are classified as single and either under 22 years of age or if they are older, they must have been full time students since before age 22 or dependent on their parent due to a disability or medical problem.

Refusals due to income and medicals

You will be asked to provide information about your income but you will not be denied to sponsor your spouse and dependent children because you do not make enough money. It is possible though that if you make absolutely no money at all that immigration may ask you how you plan to support yourselves.

Spouses and dependent children are also exempt from the clause about excessive demand on health care so you do not have to worry about them being refused for that reason.

Sponsoring your spouse while living in another country

If you are a Canadian citizen, you can sponsor your spouse without being in Canada but you do then have to prove that you are planning on moving to Canada when your spouse gets approved for permanent residency. Such proof can include having arranged jobs, being accepted to college, having arranged housing or letters from friends & relatives stating that they know of your plans and that you can stay with them while you look for housing etc.

If you are a PR, you must reside in Canada in order to sponsor your spouse. You can chance short vacations (remember that a Canadian vacation is generally no longer than 2 weeks) but if immigration finds out that you are not in Canada, you risk getting your application refused.

Hi Leon, I wanna seek advices from all of you here who know the legal process on my case with my eldest son, he's 23 yrs old, will enrol in college before June and is included in the application. If he is enrolled already could I accompany him to Canada and come back to the Philippines to finish his college or would it mean he will be doing it there? If he's not accompanying, are we suppose to pay for his visa fee? And if he's not accompanying could I still sponsor for him once he finish his college studies here. He stopped for 3 yrs in college, it's just now that he will enrol again.Please help me and another thing does my husband need to change his status in his passport, he was married before, been a widower before we got married...Thank you so much to all of you for any advice you could give us...God bless...

abscott

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
abscott said:
Hi Leon, I wanna seek advices from all of you here who know the legal process on my case with my eldest son, he's 23 yrs old, will enrol in college before June and is included in the application. If he is enrolled already could I accompany him to Canada and come back to the Philippines to finish his college or would it mean he will be doing it there? If he's not accompanying, are we suppose to pay for his visa fee? And if he's not accompanying could I still sponsor for him once he finish his college studies here. He stopped for 3 yrs in college, it's just now that he will enrol again.Please help me and another thing does my husband need to change his status in his passport, he was married before, been a widower before we got married...Thank you so much to all of you for any advice you could give us...God bless...

abscott
From your other posts, I see that you have included your son as not accompanying. You now want to change his status to accompanying? You can do this but in fact, the criteria for him to be considered a dependent child and get PR under your application, would have been that you applied before he turned 22 which would have meant that his age was locked in or if you applied after he turned 22, that he was a full time student since before the age of 22 and financially dependent on you. He is now enrolling at 23 so that criteria is not filled. However, you can check if you get away with it and change his status now to accompanying. If he gets his PR, he should move to Canada because if he stays in the Philippines to complete his education, he will have two problems. 1) He will have been outside Canada for too long and may lose his PR because of that and 2) His education will not be worth the same in Canada as a Canadian degree would be.

If you are unable to bring him now, it will definitely not be easier to sponsor him later. It is very hard to bring adult children as they are not considered to be a part of your family unit. If you miss this chance now, the best you might be able to do would be to try to help him come to Canada on a work permit or a study permit so he can immigrate himself.

hockeyfan

Mar 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-03-2013
AOR Received.
15-03-2013
Med's Done....
10-01-2013
Passport Req..
Visa Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
Not yet
LANDED..........
31-05-2014
Hello!

Just want to make sure I understand what's going on with my app... When it says in ecas that they "have received my application for permanent residency" and they have "received the application to sponsor" for my wife, does that mean they are processing her application to sponsor or that it hasn't even started and it's just sitting there waiting to be processed?

Many thanks!

c_farah

Jan 24, 2012
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-02-2013
AOR Received.
16-02-2013
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
16-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
09-09-2013
LANDED..........
07-10-2013
Need to be certain about something:
currently going through the PR application, right now the file is at the VO (Outland application)
My wife and I want to go on a vacation out of Canada - shouldn't be an issue, right?
I know they say you can enter and leave the country, but I don't want to have any issues.

Any help / experiences would be appreciated.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
hockeyfan said:
Hello!

Just want to make sure I understand what's going on with my app... When it says in ecas that they "have received my application for permanent residency" and they have "received the application to sponsor" for my wife, does that mean they are processing her application to sponsor or that it hasn't even started and it's just sitting there waiting to be processed?

Many thanks!
Trying to figure out ecas is kinda like trying to find your way out of a maze in the pitch black of night.

It probably means they got your application and haven't done anything with it yet. They may be processing the sponsor. I don't think they usually update that part until decision made.

But... it's ecas. Who needs consistency?

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
c_farah said:
Need to be certain about something:
currently going through the PR application, right now the file is at the VO (Outland application)
My wife and I want to go on a vacation out of Canada - shouldn't be an issue, right?
I know they say you can enter and leave the country, but I don't want to have any issues.

Any help / experiences would be appreciated.
I'm assuming by your avatar you're a US citizen.

Probably won't be an issue. I would bring along a copy of your Sponsor Approval letter/email and Visitor's Record, if you have one. (You may not.) The Canadian can ask the IO to allow the spouse to re-enter Canada to wait out the application as a couple. Do all the usual things - be polite, answer questions honestly. Normally this goes smoothly - shouldn't be too much of an issue! :)

ortom

Feb 19, 2013
CANADA
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Vegreville /CPC - Missisauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-07-2013
File Transfer...
03-03-2014 to CPC-M
Med's Done....
06-06-2013
For anyone married in canada, I have a question regarding marriage registration
We got officially married on Feb 4, sent out the marriage papers to thunder bay on the 5th. So far we didnt get any reply to as whether the marriage has been recorded or not. Its been now 8 weeks since it was sent out and still nothing. I have read that it takes 8-12 weeks. Anyone that can share their experience with marriage registration in thunder bay? Did it take you this long? Do they send anything to confirm the registration?

ortom

Feb 19, 2013
CANADA
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-07-2013
File Transfer...
03-03-2014 to CPC-M
Med's Done....
06-06-2013
I also wanted to ask about last name change. I want to take my husbands last name, only on my ID's though, not official last name change.
Is it enough to change with service canada or would I need to do the changes in my own country as well? Or is it different for different countries. I really want to get my husbands last name but I don't want to go through the corrupted system of my country. Would it be enough to change it through service canada?

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
ortom said:
For anyone married in canada, I have a question regarding marriage registration
We got officially married on Feb 4, sent out the marriage papers to thunder bay on the 5th. So far we didnt get any reply to as whether the marriage has been recorded or not. Its been now 8 weeks since it was sent out and still nothing. I have read that it takes 8-12 weeks. Anyone that can share their experience with marriage registration in thunder bay? Did it take you this long? Do they send anything to confirm the registration?
9 times out of 10, it's in the system.

To get the actual certificate? It's more like 3-6 months, sometimes never! I actually have a friend, she's been married for 3 years, still no marriage certificate. So, I would order another one online. Actually I would order two. I ordered two in case I lost one then I had another in a safe spot.

https://www.orgforms.gov.on.ca/eForms/start.do

Insert Quote
I also wanted to ask about last name change. I want to take my husbands last name, only on my ID's though, not official last name change.
Is it enough to change with service canada or would I need to do the changes in my own country as well? Or is it different for different countries. I really want to get my husbands last name but I don't want to go through the corrupted system of my country. Would it be enough to change it through service canada?
Did you apply for PR already? In order to do a name change on your ID's and such, you need the marriage certificate and your birth certificate. You just go to Service ONTARIO (not Canada) and say you are changing your last name on you Driver's Licence and Health Card. You could do your passport, but that's a little difficult/more complex.

ortom

Feb 19, 2013
CANADA
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-07-2013
File Transfer...
03-03-2014 to CPC-M
Med's Done....
06-06-2013
We want to get a marriage certificate, but we're waiting for the marriage to be registered in order to get a certificate. It says that the marriage needs to be registered in ontario in order to get a marriage certificate. Since we don't know if the marriage has been recorded yet we haven't applied for a marriage certificate and as a result haven't applied for PR yet. Someone correct me if i'm wrong, as I am under the impression that you need to wait for the marriage to be recorded at the thunder bay office, in order to apply. Is this correct or I can go ahead and order a marriage certificate?

In regards to name change, the only thing canadian I have is a driver's license, so maybe I'll wait till I get PR to do the changes or keep my last name as I am used to the sound of it lol.
parker24 said:
9 times out of 10, it's in the system.

To get the actual certificate? It's more like 3-6 months, sometimes never! I actually have a friend, she's been married for 3 years, still no marriage certificate. So, I would order another one online. Actually I would order two. I ordered two in case I lost one then I had another in a safe spot.

https://www.orgforms.gov.on.ca/eForms/start.do

Did you apply for PR already? In order to do a name change on your ID's and such, you need the marriage certificate and your birth certificate. You just go to Service ONTARIO (not Canada) and say you are changing your last name on you Driver's Licence and Health Card. You could do your passport, but that's a little difficult/more complex.

lovechild

Feb 21, 2013
Hi all,

My husband had to do a second medical as requested Jan 17/13. This is ridiculous, our application was filed March 29, 2011. This application has been in the works for over 2 years. Started processing January 2013. Ottawa processing time is 13 months. Any advice?

jiggyzealous

Jan 22, 2013
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October 26, 2012
AOR Received.
December 21, 2012
Med's Done....
August 17, 2012
Interview........
God waived it for us
LANDED..........
Praying for this year
We got married April 21 and applied for the marriage certificate some two weeks after. We got in the mail on May 18. Anytime before June is quick. Most ppl got married in June