13-01-2016
Med's Request
13-01-2016
Med's Done....
06-02-2016
Interview........
Waived
Dear Experts,

I have got PR visa with COPR couple of days ago. I am PNP (Manitoba) applicant. My PR visa will expire on 07/05/2019. I have a plan for soft landing in March or April, 2019. I will stay there for 10 days and return to Bangladesh with my family. I have several issues which I would like to discuss with you for some valuable advice/information and suggestions. I acknowledge your kind help regarding this issues:

1. Do I need to need to apply for a PR card and provide two photograph as per specifications or as a new PR I don't need to apply for PR card, instead I have to provide mailing information at the port of entry for PR card (according to CIC home page).
2. Do I need to be present physically to collect PR card or they will send the PR card to my Canada address and my friend can send me by courier later when he receives it.
3. If I need to apply formally for PR card, can I fill up the form before my departure from home country and submit to immigration officer at the port of entry.
4. Should I need to apply for SIN at the port of entry?
5. Can I open a Bank account in Canada living here in my home country
6. How many days should I have to stay in Canada to fulfill the residency requirement? Is this 730 in 5 years since I become PR or 1093 days?
7. Can I prepare any other form that may need to submit at the port of entry in Canada.
8. Which form of proof of fund is commonly acceptable at the port of entry in Canada (e.g., bank guarantee, travelers Cheque or any other form?

I apology for too many questions. Your kind help will be highly appreciated.

Sincerely yours,

Eusufzai

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Dear Experts,

I have got PR visa with COPR couple of days ago. I am PNP (Manitoba) applicant. My PR visa will expire on 07/05/2019. I have a plan for soft landing in March or April, 2019. I will stay there for 10 days and return to Bangladesh with my family. I have several issues which I would like to discuss with you for some valuable advice/information and suggestions. I acknowledge your kind help regarding this issues:

1. Do I need to need to apply for a PR card and provide two photograph as per specifications or as a new PR I don't need to apply for PR card, instead I have to provide mailing information at the port of entry for PR card (according to CIC home page).
2. Do I need to be present physically to collect PR card or they will send the PR card to my Canada address and my friend can send me by courier later when he receives it.
3. If I need to apply formally for PR card, can I fill up the form before my departure from home country and submit to immigration officer at the port of entry.
4. Should I need to apply for SIN at the port of entry?
5. Can I open a Bank account in Canada living here in my home country
6. How many days should I have to stay in Canada to fulfill the residency requirement? Is this 730 in 5 years since I become PR or 1093 days?
7. Can I prepare any other form that may need to submit at the port of entry in Canada.
8. Which form of proof of fund is commonly acceptable at the port of entry in Canada (e.g., bank guarantee, travelers Cheque or any other form?

I apology for too many questions. Your kind help will be highly appreciated.

Sincerely yours,

Eusufzai
1. The initial PR card will be processed when you "land" at the POE.
2. In 99.% of cases the initial PR card is mailed to a Canadian address, note as a PNP applicant, ensure the mailing address is in Manitoba.
3. See #1
4. You can only apply for a SIN at Pearson during the Service Canada opening hours, otherwise you apply at a Service Canada office inland.
5. Some banks allow it such as HSBC.
6. 730 days in every 5 year period.
7. Goods to Follow list.
8. Bank statements, Traveller's cheques,.Cash.

tara10

Feb 16, 2017
Hi Guys,

Am planning to do a soft landing for a week and get our family friend who is residing in canada to mail our PR. I have few doubts on these??

1 Is it legal to courier your PR card outside canada??

2 I have heard lot of people have issue with the photographs, so if we have already left canada and then we get to know that our photos are not validated. How do we contact them??

Regards,
Tara

Last edited:

John013

Jun 17, 2017
The Netherlands
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Vienna
App. Filed.......
29-05-2017
AOR Received.
27-06-2017
File Transfer...
03-07-2017
Med's Request
02-11-2017
Med's Done....
06-11-2017
VISA ISSUED...
31-08-2018
LANDED..........
06-10-2018
To be honest im starting to think that them asking for new passport pictures because they are not the right specs is just a load of BS. Instead of processing my PR they asked for new pics 2,5 months after landing, this is around the time my card should be arriving, not when they should still be checking pics to see if they conform to specs. They seem to be using this to buy themselves more time when they are backed up or something. They also have the nerve to give me 30 days to send new pics or cancel my Pr card application when they just took 2,5 months to even look at them!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Guys,

Am planning to do a soft landing for a week and get our family friend who is residing in canada to mail our PR. I have few doubts on these??

1 Is it legal to courier your PR card outside canada??

2 I have heard lot of people have issue with the photographs, so if we have already left canada and then we get to know that our photos are not validated. How do we contact them??

Regards,
Tara
1) yes
2) you can send them a webform.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
To be honest im starting to think that them asking for new passport pictures because they are not the right specs is just a load of BS. Instead of processing my PR they asked for new pics 2,5 months after landing, this is around the time my card should be arriving, not when they should still be checking pics to see if they conform to specs. They seem to be using this to buy themselves more time when they are backed up or something. They also have the nerve to give me 30 days to send new pics or cancel my Pr card application when they just took 2,5 months to even look at them!
Right. In addition, after 2.5 months still not received the card, had to phone the call centre and was told that they didn't update the mailing address! Fortunately, had to wait 2 weeks more!

Reactions: John013

tara10

Feb 16, 2017
1) yes
2) you can send them a webform.
Cool thanks Do we have to mention to the officer that this is just a short landing and I would be going back in a weeks time and come after say 5 - 6 months for my permanent stay.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Cool thanks Do we have to mention to the officer that this is just a short landing and I would be going back in a weeks time and come after say 5 - 6 months for my permanent stay.
Your choice. If you say so, the immigration officer might tell you to update your Canadian address once you move to Canada permanently. If you come back after 6 months, then you must pay $50 to apply for a new PR card.

tara10

Feb 16, 2017
Ok that also sounds ok so during my second visit I would not have PR card so anyidea on what visa do I re enter??

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Ok that also sounds ok so during my second visit I would not have PR card so anyidea on what visa do I re enter??
You need to apply for PRTD (PR travel document). Search for this topic, there are lots of info regarding to this.

Reactions: tara10

rody0988

Star Member
Jan 9, 2019
Pune, India
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
13-12-2018
Back to basic question- What is a soft landing?
My AOR is 13 Dec and MEP 23 Jan 19. It's still a long way to go. I tried to some searching but got confused between different terminologies used.
But if anyone can explain what soft landing is, it would really useful.

Thanks in advance.

John013

Jun 17, 2017
The Netherlands
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Vienna
App. Filed.......
29-05-2017
AOR Received.
27-06-2017
File Transfer...
03-07-2017
Med's Request
02-11-2017
Med's Done....
06-11-2017
VISA ISSUED...
31-08-2018
LANDED..........
06-10-2018
Back to basic question- What is a soft landing?
My AOR is 13 Dec and MEP 23 Jan 19. It's still a long way to go. I tried to some searching but got confused between different terminologies used.
But if anyone can explain what soft landing is, it would really useful.

Thanks in advance.
Soft landing is doing your landing procedure but leaving Canada again shortly after, so becoming a PR but not settling permanently yet.

Reactions: rody0988

vermas

Champion Member
Jan 12, 2010
NOC Code......
NA
App. Filed.......
eAPR/AOR 13-08-2018
Dear friends,
I am an Indian working in Myanmar (Burma). I have just received my visa and will be doing a soft landing at this stage. I will land in Toronto in May 2019 and will stay with my brother for 3 weeks before returning to Myanmar. I will give his address for delivery of my PR card which he will arrange to send to me later. I plan to move Canada in 2020 after completing my contract here. I have following queries and will appreciate your comments/guidance:
1- When and where to apply for SIN?
2- Do I need to carry an amount equivalent to POF with me or bank statement for amount in my foreign currency account in India will suffice? I want to carry approx USD 2,000 with me.
3-From above posts, I understand that I should apply for health card on my permanent landing.
4-As I will land permanently in Canada in summer 2020 (after almost one year), can I still submit Goods to Follow list?
5-Should I open a Canadian bank account after my first landing?
6-The amount in USD from my current earning is transferetr into foreign currency account in India and I have to pay approx 1% conversion charges. In the future when I will transfer these funds to my Canadian account, I will have to pay conversion charges again. In India I get approx 4% interes. Is it advisable to keep funds in Indian account or Canadian?
7- What about taxation if keep my funds in India or Canada?
8- After obtaining Canadian PR, do I need to show my earnings of Myanmar to CRA and start paying taxes or it will apply after my permanent move?

Sorry for posting many questions.
Thanks in advance.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Dear friends,
I am an Indian working in Myanmar (Burma). I have just received my visa and will be doing a soft landing at this stage. I will land in Toronto in May 2019 and will stay with my brother for 3 weeks before returning to Myanmar. I will give his address for delivery of my PR card which he will arrange to send to me later. I plan to move Canada in 2020 after completing my contract here. I have following queries and will appreciate your comments/guidance:
1- When and where to apply for SIN?
2- Do I need to carry an amount equivalent to POF with me or bank statement for amount in my foreign currency account in India will suffice? I want to carry approx USD 2,000 with me.
3-From above posts, I understand that I should apply for health card on my permanent landing.
4-As I will land permanently in Canada in summer 2020 (after almost one year), can I still submit Goods to Follow list?
5-Should I open a Canadian bank account after my first landing?
6-The amount in USD from my current earning is transferetr into foreign currency account in India and I have to pay approx 1% conversion charges. In the future when I will transfer these funds to my Canadian account, I will have to pay conversion charges again. In India I get approx 4% interes. Is it advisable to keep funds in Indian account or Canadian?
7- What about taxation if keep my funds in India or Canada?
8- After obtaining Canadian PR, do I need to show my earnings of Myanmar to CRA and start paying taxes or it will apply after my permanent move?

Sorry for posting many questions.
Thanks in advance.
1. Airport during certain hours or Service Canada location. Info available online. No appointment necessary.
2.Bank statement is fine for POF. 2k in cash is also fine,
3. Yes. Apply in 2020. There are residency requirements as well as a wait period to receive OHIP.
4. Yes.
5. No. You want the least ties to Canada for taxation reasons plus there is no need.
6. You get much better interest rates in your Indian account so you may want to keep it in USD or INR until you need the money in Canada.
7. Keep your money in India for now. Savings aren't taxed but interest you earned on savings can be. Too complicated of a conversation.
8. Depends on when you move to Canada. You may need to show your international income in 2020.

Reactions: kamy18 and vermas

vermas

Champion Member
Jan 12, 2010
NOC Code......
NA
App. Filed.......
eAPR/AOR 13-08-2018
1. Airport during certain hours or Service Canada location. Info available online. No appointment necessary.
2.Bank statement is fine for POF. 2k in cash is also fine,
3. Yes. Apply in 2020. There are residency requirements as well as a wait period to receive OHIP.
4. Yes.
5. No. You want the least ties to Canada for taxation reasons plus there is no need.
6. You get much better interest rates in your Indian account so you may want to keep it in USD or INR until you need the money in Canada.
7. Keep your money in India for now. Savings aren't taxed but interest you earned on savings can be. Too complicated of a conversation.
8. Depends on when you move to Canada. You may need to show your international income in 2020.
Thanks for your prompt response. I should have avoided posting these queries on another thread also.