+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Soft Landing + Immigration Rules

jaffaral

Champion Member
Jun 29, 2014
Category........
Other
Asking for new pictures is a hassle for IRCC so I don’t think they are doing this because they have a backlog. They are currently processing PR cards pretty quickly.
Thanks for the response. Do I also need to put my DOB with signature at the back

vishakhadavey

Mar 13, 2019
I live in US. Can I do a soft landing, return to US after 3-4 days, work in US for a couple of years and then move to Canada permanently? Will it be a problem if I enter Canada after 2 years of receiving PR card?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

I live in US. Can I do a soft landing, return to US after 3-4 days, work in US for a couple of years and then move to Canada permanently? Will it be a problem if I enter Canada after 2 years of receiving PR card?
1. No, but you have to reside in Canada for 3 years in every 5 year period.

John013

Jun 17, 2017
The Netherlands
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Vienna
App. Filed.......
29-05-2017
AOR Received.
27-06-2017
File Transfer...
03-07-2017
Med's Request
02-11-2017
Med's Done....
06-11-2017
VISA ISSUED...
31-08-2018
LANDED..........
06-10-2018
Asking for new pictures is a hassle for IRCC so I don’t think they are doing this because they have a backlog. They are currently processing PR cards pretty quickly.
Im not sure about that. They took months to even tell me my pictures were not correct and after that they took many more months to send me my PR card after I sent them new pictures. Also how can be pictures be wrong when the VO accepted them before.

Nagarwal

May 28, 2019
Hi. Me and my wife married for 3 years, had applied for PR. I am the primary applicant and she is secondary. We received our COPR. Now at the time of landing we are on the verge of divorce. Can we both land independently of each other, at different times without knowing where the other is landing and their address? If yes, once we get our respective cards, how to declare that we are separated? Do we file for divorce in our home country or on Canada?

Bloodrose

Jan 5, 2010
Hi. Me and my wife married for 3 years, had applied for PR. I am the primary applicant and she is secondary. We received our COPR. Now at the time of landing we are on the verge of divorce. Can we both land independently of each other, at different times without knowing where the other is landing and their address? If yes, once we get our respective cards, how to declare that we are separated? Do we file for divorce in our home country or on Canada?
You can land separately but you would need to land before her and technically you should declare any change in circumstances considering you're not actually PR's yet.

Nagarwal

May 28, 2019
Our divorce has not been finalised yet. We haven’t also filed it yet officially. We live separately. How does Declaring separated status affect me and her PR status? Do we still get our cards? Can we individually be denied entry into canada. I don’t want to ruin this opportunity. Please advise.

Bloodrose

Jan 5, 2010
Our divorce has not been finalised yet. We haven’t also filed it yet officially. We live separately. How does Declaring separated status affect me and her PR status? Do we still get our cards? Can we individually be denied entry into canada. I don’t want to ruin this opportunity. Please advise.
No I completely understand that. Was either one of you granted conditional PR? You'll know if you were because it will be listed on your CoPR. What you don't want to do is get anywhere close to meaningful deception because that can get you into potential trouble in the future.

Maybe read through this thread.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/martial-status-change-from-married-to-divorce-after-copr.582113/

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
You, as the Principal Applicant, should notify IRCC of the relationship status change (you are now separated) and your spouse will be removed from the application/have COPR cancelled. Doing anything else is actually immigration fraud / misrepresentation.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
No I completely understand that. Was either one of you granted conditional PR? You'll know if you were because it will be listed on your CoPR. What you don't want to do is get anywhere close to meaningful deception because that can get you into potential trouble in the future.

Maybe read through this thread.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/martial-status-change-from-married-to-divorce-after-copr.582113/
Conditional PR (condition 51) is ancient history now.
Both of them "landing" now that they are separated, is misrepresentation. At the landing interview with CBSA, failure to declare the status change is immigration fraud. IRCC must be notified before attempting to land, so that the COPRs can be cancelled and reissued to just the PA.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
As zardoz said, you need to inform IRCC and have her removed from the app. Continuing on with her becoming a PR is misrepresentation.

Reactions: YVR123

swash110

Star Member
Jun 7, 2014
Hi , I need to ask an important question hope you will guide. I will be sponsoring my 1 year old child. I need to know about residency obligations. In my case i did soft landing in oct 2016 and returned back to home country in nov 2016. Now I will be settling permanent in Canada means i have already spent 2 years and 9 months outside canada. So am i eligible to sponsor my child and meet the RO. My PR card is still valid for next 2 years and 3 months. Thanks

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hi , I need to ask an important question hope you will guide. I will be sponsoring my 1 year old child. I need to know about residency obligations. In my case i did soft landing in oct 2016 and returned back to home country in nov 2016. Now I will be settling permanent in Canada means i have already spent 2 years and 9 months outside canada. So am i eligible to sponsor my child and meet the RO. My PR card is still valid for next 2 years and 3 months. Thanks
As long as you have not spent more than 1095 days outside Canada since you landed, you should be ok. The expiry date of your PR card is not relevant.

Reactions: YVR123