+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Soft Landing + Immigration Rules

Mar 13, 2019
Hi. I am doing a soft landing with my family in April. We plan to stay for a week and return to India.
1.In that case how much cash should be shown at the immigration for a family of three?
2.Can we split the fund as cash plus travel card?
3. If sufficient amount is shown as cash, will a bank statement as proof of fund be required?
4. In addition to POF, passport and CoPR are the only documents to be shown at immigration. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Thanks in advance.

gubgub

Star Member
Oct 6, 2018
Hi guys,
I plan to do a soft landing in Canada in a few days time. I have a question regarding travel insurance. I am from India and since I will be travelling to Canada on an Immigrant visa, all the regular travel insurance providers here don't provide any insurance plans for travel on immigrant visa. Would be really helpful if anyone can help me with what my options are now?
Thanks1

upnorth11

May 16, 2019
I am asking this in advance, but I think the following is crucial to my situation:

I am currently employed in my home country with a relatively stable job, and I won't resign from this job before everything is clear with the PR. That is, I have to make a soft landing before I resign from my current job. For this reason, I cannot wait in Canada for 2-3 months to receive a PR card (would have to get a 2-3 month vacation while employed, which is next to impossible). I also won't risk the process by setting up a p.o. box address or have someone mail the card to me.

So, I have come to the following conclusion:
1. Do a soft landing and let the officer know that I will be flying back and NOT applying for a PR card at this time (only after the second landing)
2. Fly back home and apply for a PRTD (am I guaranteed to get one after a successful soft landing?)
3. Once I have a PRTD, only then resign from my current job and start planning for a permanent move to Canada.

How does this sound? Does it have any risks?

John013

Jun 17, 2017
The Netherlands
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Vienna
App. Filed.......
29-05-2017
AOR Received.
27-06-2017
File Transfer...
03-07-2017
Med's Request
02-11-2017
Med's Done....
06-11-2017
VISA ISSUED...
31-08-2018
LANDED..........
06-10-2018
I am asking this in advance, but I think the following is crucial to my situation:

I am currently employed in my home country with a relatively stable job, and I won't resign from this job before everything is clear with the PR. That is, I have to make a soft landing before I resign from my current job. For this reason, I cannot wait in Canada for 2-3 months to receive a PR card (would have to get a 2-3 month vacation while employed, which is next to impossible). I also won't risk the process by setting up a p.o. box address or have someone mail the card to me.

So, I have come to the following conclusion:
1. Do a soft landing and let the officer know that I will be flying back and NOT applying for a PR card at this time (only after the second landing)
2. Fly back home and apply for a PRTD (am I guaranteed to get one after a successful soft landing?)
3. Once I have a PRTD, only then resign from my current job and start planning for a permanent move to Canada.

How does this sound? Does it have any risks?
Im not sure you can decline the Pr card, having a Canadian mailing address and having the PR card sent there is part of the landing process. Getting a PRTD after a soft landing is not a problem, I got one myself within a week.

upnorth11

May 16, 2019
Im not sure you can decline the Pr card, having a Canadian mailing address and having the PR card sent there is part of the landing process. Getting a PRTD after a soft landing is not a problem, I got one myself within a week.
What is the "standard procedure" if you inform the officer that you are only doing a soft landing? They will then know that you do not actually have a residential address in Canada, where a PR card must be sent, correct?

At the moment, I do not know anyone trustworthy enough living in Canada who could act as a recipient or provide me a mailing address. What to do in this situation?

John013

Jun 17, 2017
The Netherlands
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Vienna
App. Filed.......
29-05-2017
AOR Received.
27-06-2017
File Transfer...
03-07-2017
Med's Request
02-11-2017
Med's Done....
06-11-2017
VISA ISSUED...
31-08-2018
LANDED..........
06-10-2018
What is the "standard procedure" if you inform the officer that you are only doing a soft landing? They will then know that you do not actually have a residential address in Canada, where a PR card must be sent, correct?

At the moment, I do not know anyone trustworthy enough living in Canada who could act as a recipient or provide me a mailing address. What to do in this situation?
I'm not sure. But what do you mean you cant wait until everything is finished with Pr? After you do your landing you are a PR and can start working in Canada, you dont need the physical card for that. The PR process is finished when you land, getting the card sent to your address is just a formality, you can use your COPR to apply for a SIN and after that you're good to go.

upnorth11

May 16, 2019
I'm not sure. But what do you mean you cant wait until everything is finished with Pr? After you do your landing you are a PR and can start working in Canada, you dont need the physical card for that. The PR process is finished when you land, getting the card sent to your address is just a formality, you can use your COPR to apply for a SIN and after that you're good to go.
I understand that the PR process is finished when I land. However, before I have landed and talked to the officials, I cannot be sure that everything will go smoothly. Therefore, I cannot resign from my job before I have landed. This presents a problem, because I cannot stay in Canada for months (to wait for the PR card) if I am still employed (my employer would not allow me to stay abroad for 2-3 months while officially working). Makes sense?

upnorth11

May 16, 2019
Would it be possible to enter a hotel address as my residence and have the PR card mailed there after having left back home? Then apply for PRTD anyway, and once in Canada (after second landing), apply for a PR card again?

I guess in this case, the real question is, what is the requirement for residential address? If you openly admit that you are flying back home, can a hotel address be your temporary residence?

upnorth11

May 16, 2019
I found the following from the official website:
If you did not provide your Canadian mailing address when you became a permanent resident, use our online address notification tool to send it to us. You must provide your address within 180 days of the day you become a permanent resident . If you do not send it within 180 days, we will cancel the PR card and you will have to apply for another one and pay the processing fees.
Ok, so do not enter any address upon soft landing. Fly back home, resign from current job, sort other things out. If it all takes longer than 180 days, then just submit a new application after second landing. Sounds good? PRTD would still be straightforward to get (if more than 180 days has passed from original landing)?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would it be possible to enter a hotel address as my residence and have the PR card mailed there after having left back home? Then apply for PRTD anyway, and once in Canada (after second landing), apply for a PR card again?

I guess in this case, the real question is, what is the requirement for residential address? If you openly admit that you are flying back home, can a hotel address be your temporary residence?
You need to have a valid address to mail a PR card to. No you should not send a PR card to a hotel. If you don’t have an address they won’t send out a card and you can apply for a PRTD. Apply early for a PRTD because some processing times are long. There is no issue getting a PRTD if you meet the residency obligation.

jaffaral

Champion Member
Jun 29, 2014
Category........
Other
Hello everyone

I am little confused about IRCC asking for pictures sometimes during PR card application.

I am doing a soft landing in Toronto on 4 June and will be returning back to my country of residence on 7 th June. Basically for two full days I will live in Edmonton and will be providing Edmonton address of my friend

As I have been reading, some times IRCC ask to resubmit pictures and I see that pics have to be taken by a Canadian photographer so I want to know what can I do in this regard.

Shall I in my 2 days period get my photo taken and if IRCC ask for that I ask my friend to send them? Will this strategy work out?

Also what should be the size of the photo and the background?

Finally how long these days it takes to receive PR card from the day of landing

@zardoz @canuck78 please help

John013

Jun 17, 2017
The Netherlands
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Vienna
App. Filed.......
29-05-2017
AOR Received.
27-06-2017
File Transfer...
03-07-2017
Med's Request
02-11-2017
Med's Done....
06-11-2017
VISA ISSUED...
31-08-2018
LANDED..........
06-10-2018
Hello everyone

I am little confused about IRCC asking for pictures sometimes during PR card application.

I am doing a soft landing in Toronto on 4 June and will be returning back to my country of residence on 7 th June. Basically for two full days I will live in Edmonton and will be providing Edmonton address of my friend

As I have been reading, some times IRCC ask to resubmit pictures and I see that pics have to be taken by a Canadian photographer so I want to know what can I do in this regard.

Shall I in my 2 days period get my photo taken and if IRCC ask for that I ask my friend to send them? Will this strategy work out?

Yes, getting them done in Canada during your short stay and have your friend send them in if they ask for it is a good strategy. Any photographer in Canada will know the specifications just tell them its for a PR Card. They often ask for new pictures nowadays because IRCC is often backed up and instead of admitting that they come up with bogus reasons like your photographs dont conform to specs even if they do and were accepted by the Visa Office in the past.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello everyone

If you want to be extra cautious I would leave an extra set of pictures with your friend in case your pictures for PR card get refused. I would get the 2 sets of pictures from different stores. PR card delivery is taking 2-3 weeks currently.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes, getting them done in Canada during your short stay and have your friend send them in if they ask for it is a good strategy. Any photographer in Canada will know the specifications just tell them its for a PR Card. They often ask for new pictures nowadays because IRCC is often backed up and instead of admitting that they come up with bogus reasons like your photographs dont conform to specs even if they do and were accepted by the Visa Office in the past.
Asking for new pictures is a hassle for IRCC so I don’t think they are doing this because they have a backlog. They are currently processing PR cards pretty quickly.

jaffaral

Champion Member
Jun 29, 2014
Category........
Other
If you want to be extra cautious I would leave an extra set of pictures with your friend in case your pictures for PR card get refused. I would get the 2 sets of pictures from different stores. PR card delivery is taking 2-3 weeks currently.
Thanks for the quick reply but can u please elaborate what do u mean by 2 sets of pictures from different stores? U mean two different photographers? Also the size should be 50x70 mm or passport size? With what background?