+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Postdoctoral fellowship LMIA exempt working permit

Feb 24, 2017
Hi All,

I am also going to Canada as a post doc. I have been waiting 4 weeks now to get my work permit, and am getting nervous because my work contract starts next week. The processing time for work permits in my country was 5 weeks when I applied.

Everyone here seems to be saying that post docs are eligible for two weeks processing. I called the CIC when I was in Canada a few months ago and they said two-weeks processing is only for the Global Talent Stream, which doesn't seem to apply to postdocs. Was I given wrong information? I'm a bit annoyed now, because I could have started hasseling the CIC two weeks ago already.

Is there something that you have to do when applying to be eligible for the two-week processing? Sorry if someone said this in another comment, but it isn't clear to me. I answered all the questions in the Come To Canada tool as well as I could and provided all the documents that were asked for. I wasn't asked for a police report, but maybe this is country specific.

jojee2k6

Sep 6, 2016
Hello, please check page 1 of this thread. Frasts asked the same question and I copy and pasted the answer from CIC, you'l
Thanks a lot @Xtreme Innovations, I checked your response, hence I am raising a CSE to CIC, let's see if the respond, and I would be lucky enough, fingers crossed! As last time they asked for ADR to provide Italian residence permits, since then no response, I am in IP2 now, done with biometrics, no medical required and no PCC as well. Let's see!

smartnini

Oct 4, 2017
I just explained the job being offered and how I'm suitable for this job. I also emphasized on the new two weeks processing and how my application qualifies for that. At the end, I urged the officer to make the decision according to the new promised processing so I can start work on time. In addition, I explained all the additional documents I've attached and the reason for attaching these (just in case).

Goodluck to everyone! :)

Xero_Life

Nov 15, 2017
Hi all!

I am also applying for a Foreign Mobility Workers Permit, I have a job offer for a PostDoc in Toronto.

I'm also very confused by the documents required, can anyone who has successfully received their visa help with these questions..?

1) I have graduated my bachelor, honours and about to finish my PhD. I have had a casual lab job in the last couple of years.
For employment records, would that just be my PhD supervisor? Should I also include the lab position (it was literally like 40 hours over a few months)
Edit: Should I also include references for other casual jobs that are not applicable (e.g. retail)

2) Can anyone clarify the difference between Employment Reference Letter, and Letter from Current Employer?

3) I have not yet submitted my PhD but will be doing so in a few weeks. Does that have any affect here?

I have the LIMA exemption and the job offer all ready to go - just want to be sure I'm submitting the correct supporting docs for Employment/Education.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Binabik

Star Member
Aug 15, 2017
Canada
1) 40 hours of lab teaching should be part of the duty of your PhD track and therefore I would not consider it work experience. Now if you want to mention this as work experience, you should ask for a proof of employment letter from the HR manager of your department/lab. This letter should include job position, duties, hours work, dates, salary...

2) Check this thread: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/employment-reference-letter-letter-from-current-employer-employment-records.465933/

3) I think you do not need your diploma, but at least an attestation/proof that you have obtained your PhD.

Xero_Life

Nov 15, 2017
Hi guys

Quick question - I submitted my visa about 6 days ago and the status hasn't changed from processing.

For those of you who we're successful with the two week processing - at what point did it change? Just concerned as I start January 8th, and worried about the holidays break.

Alireza_njm

Oct 22, 2017
Dear all,
Would you please guide me about my current status in work permit application? I want to know what exactly is being evaluated now? and what will be next stage?

My application status is as follows:
- Application status:
- Review of eligibility: Your application is in progress. We will send you a message when we start reviewing your eligibility.
- Review of medical results: You do not need a medical exam. We will send you a message if this changes.
- Review of additional documents: The additional documents you provided have been uploaded.
- Interview: You do not need an interview. We will send you a message if this changes.
- Biometrics: Completed.
- Background check: We are processing your background check. We will send you a message if we need more information.
- Final decision: Your application is in progress. We will send you a message once the final decision has been made.

and My Timeline:
Submission Confirmation: Nov 19, 2017
Biometrics Collection Letter: Nov 20, 2017
Police Certificate Request: Nov 24, 2017
Giving Biometrics: Dec 4, 2017
Uploading Police Certificate: Dec 11, 2017

Thank you so much for your advice.

Xero_Life

Nov 15, 2017
Dear all,
Would you please guide me about my current status in work permit application? I want to know what exactly is being evaluated now? and what will be next stage?

My application status is as follows:
- Application status:
- Review of eligibility: Your application is in progress. We will send you a message when we start reviewing your eligibility.
- Review of medical results: You do not need a medical exam. We will send you a message if this changes.
- Review of additional documents: The additional documents you provided have been uploaded.
- Interview: You do not need an interview. We will send you a message if this changes.
- Biometrics: Completed.
- Background check: We are processing your background check. We will send you a message if we need more information.
- Final decision: Your application is in progress. We will send you a message once the final decision has been made.

and My Timeline:
Submission Confirmation: Nov 19, 2017
Biometrics Collection Letter: Nov 20, 2017
Police Certificate Request: Nov 24, 2017
Giving Biometrics: Dec 4, 2017
Uploading Police Certificate: Dec 11, 2017

Thank you so much for your advice.

Have you heard any update? I'm about to upload my Police Clearance and curious how long it's going to take...

myooz

Oct 6, 2017
December 6th - Submitted
December 14th - Police Clearance Requested
December 21st - Police Clearance Uploaded...
Hi Xero_Life and Alireza,

Do you have any updates about your visa application?

I was also offered a postdoc position in Canada and I've submitted my visa application exactly a week ago, asking for the 2 week processing time.

Cheers

MartaFerCo

Dec 21, 2017
Hi,
I also got a postdoc position in Toronto which will start at the end of January and working on my visa too. I will received an offer of employ from the university and the ID number so I thought it should be easy to get my visa but I have some questions now...

I do not know what should I do with the "Letter from current employer" as right now I'm unemployed. I quit my last job just a week ago after knowing that I got this postdoc position because I have to prepare everything for moving to Canada and it was a temporary/poorly paid job as administrative assistant.

Has any of you been in that situation?

Thanks!!

Alireza_njm

Oct 22, 2017
Hi Xero_Life and Alireza,

Do you have any updates about your visa application?

I was also offered a postdoc position in Canada and I've submitted my visa application exactly a week ago, asking for the 2 week processing time.

Cheers
Hi myooz
As I mentioned in my previous post, all of the required documents for my application have been completed on Dec 11. However, the only update I've had compared to the previous one is the change of eligibility status from "in progress" to "reviewing" on Dec 22.
I also hoped to enjoy two week processing condition, and I think that the Christmas holidays may also be effective in these delays. I would appreciate it if you and the other respected members also share your application status and timelines here.

Alireza_njm

Oct 22, 2017
Hi,
I also got a postdoc position in Toronto which will start at the end of January and working on my visa too. I will received an offer of employ from the university and the ID number so I thought it should be easy to get my visa but I have some questions now...

I do not know what should I do with the "Letter from current employer" as right now I'm unemployed. I quit my last job just a week ago after knowing that I got this postdoc position because I have to prepare everything for moving to Canada and it was a temporary/poorly paid job as administrative assistant.

Has any of you been in that situation?

Thanks!!
Dear MartaFerCo,
As far as I know, the "Letter from Current Employer" is generally for clarifying your financial condition. So you can upload the documents related to details of your last job (e.g. pay stubs, job status, your occupation, etc.) in this item.
Moreover, as a postdoc applicant, you can also upload the "letter of offer" from the Canadian University for proof of additional financial stability. If you want my personal experience, in addition to the mentioned documents, I also uploaded a bank statement for this item.
As discussed earlier in this forum, please keep in mind that in the case of postdoc work permit, the items "Employment Reference Letter", "Letter from Current Employer" and "Employment Records" may be very similar and sometimes repetitive.
hope to hear good news from you soon ...

myooz

Oct 6, 2017
Hi myooz
As I mentioned in my previous post, all of the required documents for my application have been completed on Dec 11. However, the only update I've had compared to the previous one is the change of eligibility status from "in progress" to "reviewing" on Dec 22.
I also hoped to enjoy two week processing condition, and I think that the Christmas holidays may also be effective in these delays. I would appreciate it if you and the other respected members also share your application status and timelines here.
Hi Alireza,

It's nice to see that your application is progressing well.
I also think the the Christmas and New Year holidays will delay the whole process. My eligibility status is currently in progress, but I'll update you once something changes. Let's cross fingers for all of us!