13-02-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
09-01-2017
Hey everyone!

I have received my PNP nomination and EE ITA recently (both in the past 2 weeks) and I would like to apply for a work permit while waiting for Permanent Residence.

I have created an online application through MyCIC account and now I'm having a following "trilemma": Employment Reference Letter vs Letter from Current Employer vs Employment Records.

Let me just quickly paste the official descriptions for each:

Employment Reference Letter (required)
You must provide an employment reference letter (an up-to-date reference from current or past employers). If you have had more than two employers in the last two years, please provide a letter from both employers.

Reference letters must be written on company letterhead, show the company’s full address and telephone and fax numbers, and be stamped with the company’s official seal.

The letter should include all of the following information:

• the specific period of your employment with the company
  • the positions you held during the period of employment and the time spent in each position
  • full details of your main responsibilities in each position
  • your total annual salary plus benefits
  • the signature of your immediate supervisor or the personnel officer at the company
  • a business card of the person signing

Letter from Current Employer (required)
You must provide a letter from your current employer or proof of annotated pay stubs from your employer. This is used to confirm the details of your financial profile

Financial profile details include your job status (full‑time or part‑time), how long you have worked for the company, your occupation, etc.

Employment Records (required)
You must provide proof of work experience for your current job and for each past position you listed. Proof must include a reference letter from your employer and pay stubs, if you have them. The reference letter must:
  • be an official document printed on company letterhead
  • include your name, the company’s contact information (address, telephone number and e-mail address), the signature of your immediate
  • show all positions held while employed at the company
  • include these details: job title, duties/responsibilities, job status (if current job), the dates you worked for the company, the number of work hours per week and your annual salary plus benefits
You must scan all documents for this period of employment and save them as one file. (You must create a separate file for each period of employment.)

---

OK, so basically all three sound pretty similar, so that is where I need your help.

Let me define a couple of letters so it should be easier to discuss what goes where:
A - my new employer in Canada that I'm requesting for permit for
B - my current company (I'm a self-employed mobile applications developer), Jan 2015 - present
C - my previous company 1, Mar 2014 - Nov 2014
D - my previous company 2, Mar 2012 - Feb 2014
E - my previous company 3, Feb 2011 - Feb 2012

I assume the following assignment of letters across those three categories is correct and appropriate:
Employment Reference Letter: B
Letter from Current Employer: B
Employment Records: B, C, D, E

Please let me know if this is correct!

Furthermore, assuming this is correct, what would be the difference in documents for employment B across those three document types? It just doesn't make sense to paste the same information three times.

Thanks so much for your patience reading this and looking forward to your replies!

Thanks in advance!

ReemaSingh

Star Member
Dec 17, 2016
For my work permit application, I have used Reference letters from my previous employer in the "Employment Reference" And appointment letter from my previous jobs in the "Employment Record". In the "Current Employment Reference" used the last three-month pay stubs and tax returns from my previous job. Basically, all of these have similar information, So I think as far as you are giving the correct and complete information you should be fine.
I hope this helps

Simpson85

Star Member
Jun 6, 2016
Croatia
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
07-12-2016
AOR Received.
13-02-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
09-01-2017
ReemaSingh said:
For my work permit application, I have used Reference letters from my previous employer in the "Employment Reference" And appointment letter from my previous jobs in the "Employment Record". In the "Current Employment Reference" used the last three-month pay stubs and tax returns from my previous job. Basically, all of these have similar information, So I think as far as you are giving the correct and complete information you should be fine.
I hope this helps
Hi Reema, thanks so much! It does help a lot!

Would you mind sharing the content of your letters roughly? I'm just not sure I understand the difference between Reference and Appointment letter?

For example, mine (I guess reference letter) looks like this:

December 20th, 2016

To Whom It May Concern:

I am writing this letter to confirm that <MY NAME> was employed by <COMPANY> as <MY ROLE> (corresponding to NOC code <CODE>) since <START DATE> until <END DATE>, under my direct supervision. As a full-time employee, he was working <XX> hours per week and earning gross salary of $<XX,XXX> CAD per year.

His main duties and responsibilities were:
- <RESPONSIBILITY 1>
- <RESPONSIBILITY 2>
- <RESPONSIBILITY 3>
- <RESPONSIBILITY 4>
- <RESPONSIBILITY 5>

Please do not hesitate to contact me in case you need any additional information.

Sincerely,
<SUPERVISOR NAME>
<SUPERVISOR TITLE/ROLE>
Contact details…
(signature)

Does this look OK as a Reference letter? (Of course, will be put on a company letterhead)

Thanks once again!

ReemaSingh

Star Member
Dec 17, 2016
Hi Simpson,

Here's the content:-

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN

XYZ has been employed by the <Company> as <Job Title> from <Start date> to <End Date> in my lab. Her/His main roles and responsibilities as a <Job Title> in my lab was:-

1) Responsibility 1
2) Responsibility 2
3) Responsibility 3
4) Responsibility 4

XYZ has been appointment by the <Company> salary scale ........ <More about the salary and benefits like wages, working hours, annual leave, sick leaves, pension etc...

XYZ is very motivated, helpful and well-liked by all company person etc. etc. <Write more good thing about you>

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you need any additional information.

Sincelery
<Supervisor name>

I used only this information in the reference letter. I think it has all the content that has been mentioned in the CIC document checklist. However, you can change the content according to your convenience.

As far as about the appointment letter: - It is the signed letter of offer that you got when your previous employer hired you. You must have a letter of proof from your previous company HR that they hired you.

Simpson85

Star Member
Jun 6, 2016
Croatia
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
07-12-2016
AOR Received.
13-02-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
09-01-2017
ReemaSingh said:
Hi Simpson,

Here's the content:-

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN

XYZ has been employed by the <Company> as <Job Title> from <Start date> to <End Date> in my lab. Her/His main roles and responsibilities as a <Job Title> in my lab was:-

1) Responsibility 1
2) Responsibility 2
3) Responsibility 3
4) Responsibility 4

XYZ has been appointment by the <Company> salary scale ........ <More about the salary and benefits like wages, working hours, annual leave, sick leaves, pension etc...

XYZ is very motivated, helpful and well-liked by all company person etc. etc. <Write more good thing about you>

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you need any additional information.

Sincelery
<Supervisor name>

I used only this information in the reference letter. I think it has all the content that has been mentioned in the CIC document checklist. However, you can change the content according to your convenience.

As far as about the appointment letter: - It is the signed letter of offer that you got when your previous employer hired you. You must have a letter of proof from your previous company HR that they hired you.
Thanks a million!

I understand the appointment letter now. In Croatia we do not have such things, we're directly offered an employment contract which we sign or not, but now I know what to do. Thank you!

frasts

Aug 23, 2017
Hi @Simpson85 ,
I'm in a similar situation as yours (find it hard to differentiate between the three).
What did you end up sending for each point?
thanks!

screencora

Jul 3, 2017
Hi Reema, thanks so much! It does help a lot!

Would you mind sharing the content of your letters roughly? I'm just not sure I understand the difference between Reference and Appointment letter?

For example, mine (I guess reference letter) looks like this:

December 20th, 2016

To Whom It May Concern:

I am writing this letter to confirm that <MY NAME> was employed by <COMPANY> as <MY ROLE> (corresponding to NOC code <CODE>) since <START DATE> until <END DATE>, under my direct supervision. As a full-time employee, he was working <XX> hours per week and earning gross salary of $<XX,XXX> CAD per year.

His main duties and responsibilities were:
- <RESPONSIBILITY 1>
- <RESPONSIBILITY 2>
- <RESPONSIBILITY 3>
- <RESPONSIBILITY 4>
- <RESPONSIBILITY 5>

Please do not hesitate to contact me in case you need any additional information.

Sincerely,
<SUPERVISOR NAME>
<SUPERVISOR TITLE/ROLE>
Contact details…
(signature)

Does this look OK as a Reference letter? (Of course, will be put on a company letterhead)

Thanks once again!
I've found these letters pretty helpful as well as this dental letter of recommendation. Best of luck!

surbhi_m

Mar 6, 2021
Hey everyone!

I have received my PNP nomination and EE ITA recently (both in the past 2 weeks) and I would like to apply for a work permit while waiting for Permanent Residence.

I have created an online application through MyCIC account and now I'm having a following "trilemma": Employment Reference Letter vs Letter from Current Employer vs Employment Records.

Let me just quickly paste the official descriptions for each:

Employment Reference Letter (required)
You must provide an employment reference letter (an up-to-date reference from current or past employers). If you have had more than two employers in the last two years, please provide a letter from both employers.

Reference letters must be written on company letterhead, show the company’s full address and telephone and fax numbers, and be stamped with the company’s official seal.

The letter should include all of the following information:

• the specific period of your employment with the company
  • the positions you held during the period of employment and the time spent in each position
  • full details of your main responsibilities in each position
  • your total annual salary plus benefits
  • the signature of your immediate supervisor or the personnel officer at the company
  • a business card of the person signing

Letter from Current Employer (required)
You must provide a letter from your current employer or proof of annotated pay stubs from your employer. This is used to confirm the details of your financial profile

Financial profile details include your job status (full‑time or part‑time), how long you have worked for the company, your occupation, etc.

Employment Records (required)
You must provide proof of work experience for your current job and for each past position you listed. Proof must include a reference letter from your employer and pay stubs, if you have them. The reference letter must:
  • be an official document printed on company letterhead
  • include your name, the company’s contact information (address, telephone number and e-mail address), the signature of your immediate
  • show all positions held while employed at the company
  • include these details: job title, duties/responsibilities, job status (if current job), the dates you worked for the company, the number of work hours per week and your annual salary plus benefits
You must scan all documents for this period of employment and save them as one file. (You must create a separate file for each period of employment.)

---

OK, so basically all three sound pretty similar, so that is where I need your help.

Let me define a couple of letters so it should be easier to discuss what goes where:
A - my new employer in Canada that I'm requesting for permit for
B - my current company (I'm a self-employed mobile applications developer), Jan 2015 - present
C - my previous company 1, Mar 2014 - Nov 2014
D - my previous company 2, Mar 2012 - Feb 2014
E - my previous company 3, Feb 2011 - Feb 2012

I assume the following assignment of letters across those three categories is correct and appropriate:
Employment Reference Letter: B
Letter from Current Employer: B
Employment Records: B, C, D, E

Please let me know if this is correct!

Furthermore, assuming this is correct, what would be the difference in documents for employment B across those three document types? It just doesn't make sense to paste the same information three times.

Thanks so much for your patience reading this and looking forward to your replies!

Thanks in advance!
Hi,

I am in a similar situation. However, I am currently unemployed and not working for any company. In that case, what do I have to fill for Letter from current employer? Thanks in advance

Surabhi

Jorel

Jun 12, 2021
Hi,

I am in a similar situation. However, I am currently unemployed and not working for any company. In that case, what do I have to fill for Letter from current employer? Thanks in advance

Surabhi
Hello Surabhi,

Did you get any luck on what should be uploaded on letter from current employer? I am in the same situation, I am currently unemployed but I have a job offer. Hope you respond. Thanks

surbhi_m

Mar 6, 2021
Hello Surabhi,

Did you get any luck on what should be uploaded on letter from current employer? I am in the same situation, I am currently unemployed but I have a job offer. Hope you respond. Thanks
Hi,

I uploaded the letter of explanation describing my present situation and gave all the details of my past employment.

Thanks

Reactions: ArunB008

surbhi_m

Mar 6, 2021
Hello Surabhi,

Hi,

Yes that worked! I got the approval.

ArunB008

Jul 16, 2021
In how many days did you got the approval ?
I have filled WP recently , but biometrics dates are more than one month away