+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Postdoctoral fellowship LMIA exempt working permit

mulzi

Star Member
Jul 19, 2017
Hello, Dear All

I am Ali Hassan Sodhro from Pakistan currently working in the Sweden, have got the Postdoc Offer from University of Ottawa Canada, and applied for the visa on 19th July, 2018 still waiting, as I need (TRV+Work visa) as have got some information from website of IRCC. Following is the status of my application, can I know what will be next step?

Status

We are processing your application. We will send you a message when there is an update or if we need more information from you.

Applicant information
  • Principal Applicant: ALI HASSAN SODHRO
  • Unique Client Identifier (UCI):
  • Application number:
  • Date Received: July 19, 2018
  • Biometrics:
o Biometrics Number:

o Date of Biometrics Enrolment: 08/02/2018

Current status

Review of eligibility

Your application is in progress. We will send you a message when we start reviewing your eligibility. Help - Review of eligibility

Review of medical results

You do not need a medical exam. We will send you a message if this changes. Help - Review of medical results

Review of additional documents

We do not need additional documents. Help - Review of additional documents

Interview

You do not need an interview. We will send you a message if this changes. Help - Interview

Biometrics

We do not need your fingerprints. We will send you a message if this changes. Help - Biometrics

Background check

We are processing your background check. We will send you a message if we need more information. Help - Background check

Final decision
Your application is in progress. We will send you a message once the final decision has been made.

Thanks
Please dont disclose your UCI or application numbers. This is sensitive and could be misused in a public forum.

nedalnedal

May 18, 2019
HI all
I am very happy to reach here to your forums
it seems very helpful
and I hope if you can help me guys as I am really worried and confused and cannot find the correct answers for my questions although I read the website clarifications many times
I got clinical fellowship position and they asked me to apply for LMIA exempt work permit (exemption code C45 )
through the international mobility program

i tried to apply through the website and after I filled the questionnaire to see y my eligibility for the work permit ( any how I am confused with some questions especially the ones asked about the type of job as no clinical fellow answer there )

I got options like
foreign worker (visitor visa required )
foreign worker -international mobility program (visitor visa required + no work permit ) but for sure i need work permit
and based on those there is different check lists requirement

( I think it may be my answers to questionars that may be wrong

and the other thing do you think in my case i will be eligible for 2 weeks processing time

please guys I appreciate any kind of help

mamadebbie

Dec 5, 2018
Hi everyone
Has anyone ever applied for a WP based on Supervised practice for psychologists or other health professions?
I have applied for registration as a Psychologist in Ontario and the registration process requires that I do 1500 hours(1year) supervised practice with an employer in Ontarion in addition to exams within 2 years. What kind of visa and documents would I need?

parshakov

Sep 15, 2016
HI all
I am very happy to reach here to your forums
it seems very helpful
and I hope if you can help me guys as I am really worried and confused and cannot find the correct answers for my questions although I read the website clarifications many times
I got clinical fellowship position and they asked me to apply for LMIA exempt work permit (exemption code C45 )
through the international mobility program

i tried to apply through the website and after I filled the questionnaire to see y my eligibility for the work permit ( any how I am confused with some questions especially the ones asked about the type of job as no clinical fellow answer there )

I got options like
foreign worker (visitor visa required )
foreign worker -international mobility program (visitor visa required + no work permit ) but for sure i need work permit
and based on those there is different check lists requirement

( I think it may be my answers to questionars that may be wrong

and the other thing do you think in my case i will be eligible for 2 weeks processing time

please guys I appreciate any kind of help
Like you, nedalnedal, I was also unable to get "Foreign Worker - International Mobility Program (eTA required)". I'm getting the same two results as you depending on whether I choose Yes or No when answering the question "Do you plan to work in one of the following categories?". Which option did you choose in the end and did you get the two-week processing?

Option 1:
Do you plan to work in one of the following categories?
Highly-skilled workers and researchers (Global Skills Strategy)
YES

Result:
"foreign worker -international mobility program (visitor visa required + no work permit)"
ApplicationQuantityPrice (CAD) per unitTotal (CAD)
Visitor (includes SE, ME and EXT)1$100$100
Biometrics Fee1$85$85

Option 2:
NO

Result:
"Foreign Worker (visitor’s visa required)"
Work Permit1$155$155
Biometrics Fee1$85$85

Will I have to apply for a visa separately if I choose Option 2? Or I will get a visa for free if I pay the $155 Work Permit application fee? I don't see the visa application fee in the table... Could anyone clarify this part for me?

Last edited:

powereng1982

Jun 4, 2021
Canada
Like you, nedalnedal, I was also unable to get "Foreign Worker - International Mobility Program (eTA required)". I'm getting the same two results as you depending on whether I choose Yes or No when answering the question "Do you plan to work in one of the following categories?". Which option did you choose in the end and did you get the two-week processing?

Option 1:
YES

Result:
"foreign worker -international mobility program (visitor visa required + no work permit)"
Visitor (includes SE, ME and EXT)1$100$100
Biometrics Fee1$85$85

Option 2:
NO

Result:
"Foreign Worker (visitor’s visa required)"
Work Permit1$155$155
Biometrics Fee1$85$85

Will I have to apply for a visa separately if I choose Option 2? Or I will get a visa for free if I pay the $155 Work Permit application fee? I don't see the visa application fee in the table... Could anyone clarify this part for me?
For my postdoc application, I chose NO and proceed with normal application. Application was submitted on 26 April 2021 and approved on 13 October 2021. One of my friend gotr his postdoc work permit in 3 months.

So there are no timelines for processing work permit applications even if it qualifies for GSS.

However, onething I noticed that even with some delay, LMIA exempt application are processed and are getting approved.

Based on my application experience, I suggest that you just apply and sit relax (expect some delay)

parshakov

Sep 15, 2016
For my postdoc application, I chose NO and proceed with normal application. Application was submitted on 26 April 2021 and approved on 13 October 2021. One of my friend gotr his postdoc work permit in 3 months.

So there are no timelines for processing work permit applications even if it qualifies for GSS.

However, onething I noticed that even with some delay, LMIA exempt application are processed and are getting approved.

Based on my application experience, I suggest that you just apply and sit relax (expect some delay)
Oh, that too bad. I want to start in January...

parshakov

Sep 15, 2016
I called CIC today. The agent confirmed that postdocs are still eligible for expedited processing, but it might be longer than two weeks due to COVID.
To future applications:
When answering the question "Do you plan to work in one of the following categories?", select NO (the agent spent 10 minutes to confirm this as she wasn't sure at first). After you submit your application, it will automatically fall under the International Mobility Program (two-week processing). You will get a visa for free with your work permit (this might depend on the country; use this wizard to confirm: https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp).

I was also told that the processing time does not depend on what country you are applying from, as long as it's not Canada.

melodiesss

Jun 7, 2022
Dear all,

This topic is incredible, I have read each message and found answers to many questions in my head. However, do you also have an answer to my question?

I will be applying for an LMIA-exempt work permit as a postdoc fellow, my husband will be applying for an open work permit at the same time. We are Turkish citizens, living in Turkey. He did a postdoc in Germany 4 years ago for a year. Is there a possibility that at any part of the procedure, they ask for a criminal record from Germany (it is "Certificate of Good Conduct" in Germany)? We will be including our criminal records from Turkey but if they want a certificate for him from Germany that will take a long time I guess. Should we prepare the document beforehand in order not to be late for my position?

Any comments or suggestions are more than welcome...