+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Postdoctoral fellowship LMIA exempt working permit

myooz

Oct 6, 2017
Hi everyone,

My visa application was finally approved today. This means the two week processing indeed works for postdocs.
I think the key is to submit as many documents as possible, including police clearance, upon the first submission. I did not submit any bank statement however, since the offer of employment is already proof of financial stability during the stay in Canada.
Regarding the 'letter from current employer' I simply submitted a reference letter and proof that I was 'working' as a research assistant during my PhD.

Alireza_njm

Oct 22, 2017
Hi everyone,

My visa application was finally approved today. This means the two week processing indeed works for postdocs.
I think the key is to submit as many documents as possible, including police clearance, upon the first submission. I did not submit any bank statement however, since the offer of employment is already proof of financial stability during the stay in Canada.
Regarding the 'letter from current employer' I simply submitted a reference letter and proof that I was 'working' as a research assistant during my PhD.
Congratulation myooz! Does this mean that your work permit application approved just after 9 days?!
What a good news!
Could you please let us know which country you applied from?

myooz

Oct 6, 2017
Congratulation myooz! Does this mean that your work permit application approved just after 9 days?!
What a good news!
Could you please let us know which country you applied from?
Thanks Alireza. Yes, my application was approved unexpectedly fast but I think that has to do with submitting a complete application at the time of the first submission.
I applied from Mauritius.

jojee2k6

Sep 6, 2016
Guys, I am pleased to inform you that, my post-doc LMIA exempted WP approved today. for spouse together I applied for SOWP, and child visitor visa. All approved together as TRVs. My local VO is Rome.

I just received PPR request letter via message in MyCIC.

I applied on 08-Oct-2017, but took longer time than expected, several times I requested them to consider in GSS, but anyways, it's approved now.

In letter they only required original passport. Nothing mentioned about photos, or via VFS (VAC).

Should I dispatch all passports directly to Embassy in Rome, or via VFS? I suppose along with pre-paid return envelope too?

MartaFerCo

Dec 21, 2017
Hi! I'm still waiting for the University to send my the employment offer but I'm preparing all the documents for my working permit as a postdoc in the meantime. As for my previous question I decided to follow your advice and prepare a letter from my last employer as my current employer + a note in which I explain the situation and a bank statement.

I read that some of you did not submit any bank statement but that means that you didn't send any pay stubs asked in the Employment records document either? Have any of you sent them and in that case, have you translate them (as all the documents should be in English/French) or a pay stub is clear enough in any language?

Thanks!

ravisk

Jan 5, 2018
Hi All

I am a doc about to join fellowship in Univ of Toronto. I have applied for my Visa on Nov 2nd, but there have been no updates so far. Is there any way I can request for GSS now?

Also, what is the standard time for work permit for a LMIA exempt job?

Alireza_njm

Oct 22, 2017
Hi All

I am a doc about to join fellowship in Univ of Toronto. I have applied for my Visa on Nov 2nd, but there have been no updates so far. Is there any way I can request for GSS now?

Also, what is the standard time for work permit for a LMIA exempt job?
Hi ravisk
Work permit processing time depends on several factors such as the country you are applying from. As you may know, you can find an estimation of this time on the cic website (i.e. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/ ).
Moreover, To take advantage of members expertise in a similar situation to you, it would be better to share your application status details and your timeline here.

Nov 20, 2015
Hi all!

I am also applying for a Foreign Mobility Workers Permit, I have a job offer for a PostDoc in Toronto.

I'm also very confused by the documents required, can anyone who has successfully received their visa help with these questions..?

1) I have graduated my bachelor, honours and about to finish my PhD. I have had a casual lab job in the last couple of years.
For employment records, would that just be my PhD supervisor? Should I also include the lab position (it was literally like 40 hours over a few months)
Edit: Should I also include references for other casual jobs that are not applicable (e.g. retail)

2) Can anyone clarify the difference between Employment Reference Letter, and Letter from Current Employer?

3) I have not yet submitted my PhD but will be doing so in a few weeks. Does that have any affect here?

I have the LIMA exemption and the job offer all ready to go - just want to be sure I'm submitting the correct supporting docs for Employment/Education.

Thanks!
Hello,
I believe I am in a similar situation as you were. I have a postdoc offer and my PhD as not officially completed, I have submitted my thesis and I would be defending in April. I want to apply for work permit before the defense as it takes time to process the application. I wanted to know did the Canadian embassy had problem with that and can you tell that did you get the work permit if you dont mind telling me. I would really appreciate your help. Thanks

MartaFerCo

Dec 21, 2017
Hi! My visa application was approved in just one week! My timeline, in case it can be useful for someone:

15th. Feb. Application sent and payment confirmation in few hours.
16th Feb. I got the application number and they started processing it.
22th Feb. My application and the application of my common-law partner were approved.

As I applied from Spain, I didn't need to send the medical exam, biometrics or backround check. I think this is the reason of the rapid response.

My common-law partner and my application were approved with few hours of difference but he did not received the message with the letter we have to present in the airport to the Canadian authorities. I reported it with the option "report a technical issue" and it arrived the next day.

Good luck for the ones that are applying now!

Alireza_njm

Oct 22, 2017
Hi all,
Would you please guide me about my current status in work permit application? I want to know what exactly is being evaluated now? and what will be next stage?

My application status is as follows:
- Application status: We are processing your application. We will send you a message when there is an update or if we need more information from you.
- Review of eligibility: We are reviewing whether you meet the eligibility requirements.
- Review of medical results: You do not need a medical exam. We will send you a message if this changes.
- Review of additional documents: The additional documents you provided are being reviewed.
- Interview: You do not need an interview. We will send you a message if this changes.
- Biometrics: Completed.
- Background check: We are processing your background check. We will send you a message if we need more information.
- Final decision: Your application is in progress. We will send you a message once the final decision has been made.

I submitted my application on Nov 19, 2017.
The wait is killing me! :-(

thakuravi7

Feb 27, 2015
Hello Everyone,

I am a postdoc fellow employed by UBC. I have 3 years of work experience and now I just got a job offer (extension) for two more years. I tried to create a CEC profile but I was not able to get 50 points for my job offer. I think the job offer is valid but I do not know why I did not get those point. I am not sure if I answered those LMIA questions right? I was confused with LMIA questions so I chose NO for both the questions.
Can someone please help as I am kinda confused.
Which LMIA exempt option I was supposed to choose as I can see there are three LMIA exempt options?

Was a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) issued for the job offer in Canada? (required) - no

Was a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) issued for the current work permit? (required) \
yes
no
no-my work permit is exempt from LMIA due to an international agreement
no-my work permit is exempt from LMIA due to a federal-provincial agreement

no-my work permit is exempt from LMIA due to other reasons and employer specific

I am not sure which one to pick?

Can someone help.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Harisyama

Aug 23, 2018
Hi hello,
my employer submitted my work permit application on Global Skill Strategy category dated on 16-Aug-18 under 2 weeks processing time at New delhi.
Upto now no information on my application and i have Application number , UCI number.
i jujst want to know the status...
can any one suggest how to check status of submitted application by using the Application number , UCI number??

Reactions: Rivia

Rivia

Sep 19, 2018
Hi hello,
my employer submitted my work permit application on Global Skill Strategy category dated on 16-Aug-18 under 2 weeks processing time at New delhi.
Upto now no information on my application and i have Application number , UCI number.
i jujst want to know the status...
can any one suggest how to check status of submitted application by using the Application number , UCI number??
Hey there, I am on the same boat. I have applied from India. Did your visa got approved. Can anybody suggest on the processing time for filing an online application from India.

owwek

Sep 27, 2018
Hi all,
Would you please guide me about my current status in work permit application? I want to know what exactly is being evaluated now? and what will be next stage?

My application status is as follows:
- Application status: We are processing your application. We will send you a message when there is an update or if we need more information from you.
- Review of eligibility: We are reviewing whether you meet the eligibility requirements.
- Review of medical results: You do not need a medical exam. We will send you a message if this changes.
- Review of additional documents: The additional documents you provided are being reviewed.
- Interview: You do not need an interview. We will send you a message if this changes.
- Biometrics: Completed.
- Background check: We are processing your background check. We will send you a message if we need more information.
- Final decision: Your application is in progress. We will send you a message once the final decision has been made.

I submitted my application on Nov 19, 2017.
The wait is killing me! :-(
Hi,

May i know what is the update of your application? I am in the midst of application too. And is facing some delay. Just want to check what is your updates?

Aly_1986

Star Member
Jul 21, 2018
Hello, Dear All

I am Ali Hassan Sodhro from Pakistan currently working in the Sweden, have got the Postdoc Offer from University of Ottawa Canada, and applied for the visa on 19th July, 2018 still waiting, as I need (TRV+Work visa) as have got some information from website of IRCC. Following is the status of my application, can I know what will be next step?

Status

We are processing your application. We will send you a message when there is an update or if we need more information from you.

Applicant information
  • Principal Applicant: ALI HASSAN SODHRO
  • Unique Client Identifier (UCI): 1114389886
  • Application number: V324956410
  • Date Received: July 19, 2018
  • Biometrics:
o Biometrics Number: 00026520180802162051

o Date of Biometrics Enrolment: 08/02/2018

Current status

Review of eligibility

Your application is in progress. We will send you a message when we start reviewing your eligibility. Help - Review of eligibility

Review of medical results

You do not need a medical exam. We will send you a message if this changes. Help - Review of medical results

Review of additional documents

We do not need additional documents. Help - Review of additional documents

Interview

You do not need an interview. We will send you a message if this changes. Help - Interview

Biometrics

We do not need your fingerprints. We will send you a message if this changes. Help - Biometrics

Background check

We are processing your background check. We will send you a message if we need more information. Help - Background check

Final decision
Your application is in progress. We will send you a message once the final decision has been made.

Thanks

Last edited: